It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:20 pm

The forum is READ ONLY. Please direct any future discussions to our Facebook page

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Re: Something that would be useful...
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 1:02 pm 
IICV wrote:
When wandering around the galaxy with bad engines, it's annoying to have to scan every warp link to see if it has a link back (to avoid getting lost).

Yes it is!

In future versions, there will be an autopilot, like there was for Ultimate Universe. It will allow you to travel from any point to any point in the universe. Of course at low levels it will only allow warp travel, and only for a certain depth, but at higher levels, it will allow any combination of the three travel types.

Three you ask? Yes three: Realspace, Warp, Plasma. Plasma engines will be added very soon to the main NGS distro.

Meaning that you would be able to go:

1->3-->4-%>697

Where -> is warp, --> is realspace, and -%> is plasma.

IICV wrote:
It would be useful if the warp links were "=>" if the sector they warp to has a link back, or "->" if it's only a one way link.

This, I actually like alot, and will do. I hadn't ever thought of it. Very nice.

IICV wrote:
In fact, a lot of the information present in a long range scan could be moved to the Warp To box. For instance, a little symbol representing which port, if any, is present in that system (maybe a mini-pioneer for Upgrades, and a torpedo of sorts for Devices, since they haven't got their own symbols), or the number of links in that system. Military things, however, probably shouldn't be put there.

I won't do this, and once I explain, you might not want it either. With port info moved to moves, no one will ever scan. Scanning takes a turn, and requires players to spend money on their sensors.

Further, it slows them down - it reduces the chance of them ending up "on your doorstep" because it increases the cost to them.

All in all, that information isnt available because its not obviously available. Think about it like a car. You are in your car, and you can see that there is a road leading left (the warp link), but you cant possibly see the mall, which stores it has in it, and the number of cars in the parking lot!

IICV wrote:
I don't think this would unbalance gameplay, especially since going through and scanning all of the warp links sequentially doesn't take up turns. Why not have all that in plain sight?

It does take up turns. Each scan costs one turn. Plus, scanners cost money - which reduces the economic inflation that is KILLING the game.

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ]