It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 2:44 pm

The forum is READ ONLY. Please direct any future discussions to our Facebook page

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: EWDs
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:10 am 

There was a recent shout in the main about a change to the EWD. This was supposed to make the EWD fail more often. This is a definite play toward the attakers in hte game and continues the swing of the game in that direction.

The change that should have been made is that the EWD warp path should be hidden from all scans. If I don't know where I'm warping to then no one else should either.

Investigative Reporting of breaking news from the leading edge of a galaxy near you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:26 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The primary change to the EWD is based on base hull size. The bigger the ship class the less likelihood the EWD will work. In general, attackers were using the fact that they had ewarps that always worked to their advantage. So it really isn't necessarily skewed to the attacker.

We also added an instant message when you are attacked and your ewarps engages so you will know that you were initially hit, this will give you a chance to run to sol before you wake up there in a pioneer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:24 pm 
Developer
Developer

The EWD failure was based upon the average tech of a a ship divided into the max tech level setting.

The max tech level setting is 600 so a ship with an average tech level of 300 had a 50% chance of the EWD failing. A ship with and average tech of 400 had a 66% chance of the EWD failing. The design of the EWD was supposed to be that the larger the ship the less likely the EWD would work.

Every ship in the game has a BASEHULL size that is totally outside the purchased hull. You can't see what that size is but the different base hulls are...

Probe = 1
    Cargo Ship = 1
    Pioneer = 50
    Stealth = 70
    Super Cargo = 10
    Columbus = 120
    Endeavour = 150
    Razorback = 170
    Voyager = 200
    Excelsior = 250
    Alliance Raider = 300
    Battle Cruiser = 350

If you have a Voyager with an average tech of 300 it used to have a 50% chance of the EWD failing. Now we add the base hull to the average tech. Now the Voyager has an 83% chance of failing.

If you had a Columbus before with an average of 150 tech it would have a 25% chance of failing. When you add in the basehull it now has a 45% chance of failing.

A maxed Pioneer had a 25% chance of failing and now it has a 33% chance of failing.

We added the basehull for all ships a long, long time ago and intended for it to be used on many things like this but never have implemented it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:59 pm 
Gamer
Gamer

HA! Little people crying because now they can't be assured their EWD will save them every time the big bad wolf comes out to play. BOOYAH!!

Anyway, as a real arguement to Max Headroom's suggestion, I offer this. While the person who is initiating the EWD has no idea where it is going, it still leaves a trail. If I start randomly walking around in the snow, I might not know where I am going, but if someone is following me, they don't care if I know where I am going or not, all they care about is following me. Same with a hunter. He shoots a deer, the deer wanders off. He doesn't care where the deer is going, because he is following the deer. He doesn't need to know where the deer intends to go in order to get there. He follows the deer. Again, your aunt is visiting you from out of state. You meet her at the interstate Waffle House, she follows you to your house. She doesn't know where you are going, but she relies on her ability to follow you to get there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:15 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well the big fix is the message you will get... before if someone shot ya and you Ewarped , there was no Instant message... Now if you are wandering and find yourself moved and didn't notice a probable attack you will get a message and can run to sol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:36 am 

I guess I read too much Sci Fi where the angle, speed and time factor into the warp equation. if the angle of entry is off a fraction of a degree then the exit could be off by galaxies. And how would anyone else know how long I've been in warp. Thus the pursuer has a snowball's chance to follow into the correct sector.

Of course PJ will say its not really warp but a wormhole.

Investigative Reporting of breaking news from the leading edge of a galaxy near you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:44 am 

Max Griswald wrote:
HA! Little people crying because now they can't be assured their EWD will save them every time the big bad wolf comes out to play. BOOYAH!!

This Is exactly why I'm trying to make this point. The game is set up for you wolves to prey on the little guy. Everyone complains about newbies quiting and giving up in the game. Either we make it fair to them or explain it in a consistent manner so they can stay alive long enough to learn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:49 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Max HeadRoom wrote:
Max Griswald wrote:

This Is exactly why I'm trying to make this point. The game is set up for you wolves to prey on the little guy. Everyone complains about newbies quiting and giving up in the game. Either we make it fair to them or explain it in a consistent manner so they can stay alive long enough to learn.

The only time a new player becomes prey is for 3 reasons

1 - They have joined a team that has Huge players in it.
2 - They have attacked so much their alignment is no longer Neutral
3 - They got themselves a bounty for attacking the wrong players.

Other than that they can only be attacked by players in thier range so that statement is off kilter a bit.

Post subject: Re: EWDs
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:29 pm 
AA Trader
AA Trader

The attacked so much they are no longer neutral bothers me after reading about a builder becoming evil attacking indy's.
That should be addressed some how.

Also I note that mostly you are off line when attacked. Very few people get nailed online. I don't mind the way it works, but to be fair, there should be either something you can buy, to hide your trail, or a better chance for the person to get away.
Since probes now leave a trail, perhapes you can automat a probe ewd to fire when yours goes off. So the guy following has a 50 50 shot.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:25 pm 
Gamer
Gamer

Ash wrote:
The attacked so much they are no longer neutral bothers me after reading about a builder becoming evil attacking indy's.
That should be addressed some how.

Also I note that mostly you are off line when attacked. Very few people get nailed online. I don't mind the way it works, but to be fair, there should be either something you can buy, to hide your trail, or a better chance for the person to get away.
Since probes now leave a trail, perhapes you can automat a probe ewd to fire when yours goes off. So the guy following has a 50 50 shot.

I have often thought abought this part of the game.... The only Idea I thought of was an offline Auto attack when your ship (or Planet) gets scaned or an offline aggressive MODE.... Planets that fire there weopons while you are offline is something I desire...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:21 pm 
Developer
Developer

Well, there is a way to mask your trail it's called Cloak Tech. I don't think we will add anything new to mask trails because it is easy to do right now if you are creative.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:34 am 
AA Warrior
AA Warrior

I have no idea what you are talking about when you say "warp" other than an instantly created random wormhole. The angle of entry wouldn't matter much there, and you don't have to worry about time because General Relativity messes up that too. The truth is your getting so much into theoretical physics and science fiction, I would just say forget it. Its not worth debating what scientists aren't sure about. Oh, and Griswald... "Same with a hunter. He shoots a deer, the deer wanders off." Generally, if you don't drop it, the deer SPRINTS off. >.< Even if you give them a good half an hour to go bleed out, lie down and die, without pushing them, they can still go far! "Wonders off..." geez. If its the evening hunt, then it'll probably get cold enough over night that its ok and you can come look in the morning some more, but if its the morning hunt... ugh.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:36 pm 
Gamer
Gamer

Valience, yes, the deer will try to escape if you don't down it in the first hit. But unless you are totally inept, you have injured the deer sufficiently. Perhaps you do not have as much hunting experience as other people do, but it is not uncommon to track a wounded game animal for upwards of an hour. Very rarely will you EVER see a hunter drop a deer in one shot, where the deer stands.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:17 am 
AA Warrior
AA Warrior

Actually, I dropped my first deer. But my point is exactly that: they sprint off usually. Not "wander," and it does require tracking for a while. I was just nit picking for fun though. Nothing more, just bored.

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ]