It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 3:36 pm

The forum is READ ONLY. Please direct any future discussions to our Facebook page

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Alignment
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:28 pm 
Gamer
Gamer

Jesus, the alignment thing needs to be worked on. Every time I take a freaking planet I change alignment! I take a few planets from someone who is neutral, and suddenly I am good again. What the heck gives? Make it HARD to move to one side or the other. Right now, any attacker who isn't at the top already has a serious disadvantage, because they change alignment so easily that they are always able to be hit by bigger players. All the bigger guy has to do is go extreme one direction and stay there, waiting for some smaller guy to get the wrong alignment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:19 pm 
Gamer
Gamer

Yep... The politics of Good and Evil.... You have to watch who and when you attack and have a plan to come back to the center....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:56 am 
Developer
Developer

Well, the ranking is getting some reworking. It will use values similar to experience for different actions.

You will know when the new code is added to the main. Everyone will suddenly become Neutral.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:55 am 
Gamer
Gamer

Just to show you how bad the alignment is:

1 313,590 Violater ** 0/2 6 6 0 1 1 Good 469 22 14,203 Mar 14, 2007 - 5:49pm

This is the #1 Good player on the main game. He has a grand total of 6 planet captures, and two deaths. One of those deaths came after he was already Good, I podded him (Being Good myself, it threw me nearly all the way to Evil). Now, lets look at those planet captures to see how he got so Evil.

-----

FNN Report: Violater attacks and defeats a planet!

Violater attacked 4 planets owned by Guts and defeated the planetary defense forces!

Violater attacked 1 planet owned by Xun1324 and defeated the planetary defense forces!

Violater attacked 1 planet owned by Junkmaster Kendrick and defeated the planetary defense forces!

-----

Starting from the bottom, he attacked one of my planets. I was the most Good player on the server at the time, so that should have put him closer to Evil. Then he attacked one planet of Xun1324, who was listed near the Good end of Neutral. Should put him even closer to Evil. Then he attacks 4 EMPTY planets owned by Guts. These planets had 0 everything, they were just based. No colonists, money, nothing. He goes from the Evil end of Neutral, to being the most Good player on the server. With four empty planets.

Just how good was he? Well, after losing a ship, you lose a lot of your rating. I know, because I was hitting Nathaniel Flint, and got halfway through a sector of his, but his ship was on a planet, it blew up, and I still have yet to be able to take the rest of the planets. Now, I went through and killed Violater, because I had been puzzling over how to change my rating from Good, and this presented a perfect opportunity. I killed him, and he was so far in the Good side of things, that after losing a ship, he was still Good. Again, this is from FOUR EMPTY PLANETS!

I don't care who he attacks, or how Evil they are, empty planets, regardless of bases, should not affect your Good/Evil rating. Again, I say this has to change. I also give a big "Thank You" to Panama Jack for working on this, and I hope he has the rating system fixed soon ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:25 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The alignment has been reworked since that post. So your a little late on this one.

Note what had happened previously was a person attacking the highest evil player in the game would essentially turn good. Making them vulnerable to attack by a higher player.

What the alignment was designed to do was if you have a player that is constantly on the attack they become evil (Which makes sense) So now that he is evil and player that is good can attack them. What this does is make the player more cautious how much he attacks or who he attacks. The alignment doesn't flipflop like before so what you do can make an impact on alignment. take note of how many good and evil players there are in the game.

Out of 103 players there are 3 evil and 4 good. Take a look at the news... and you will see why this is the case,, they didn't get there by being builders.

From what I am seeing is your currently evil but I don't see you have anything to worry about as the "Good" players are all smaller than you.

I like the concept it creates some interesting situations... I saw unowned as an good player survive for weeks without getting hit by a big player. As a game progresses noob players wont easily be on that good evil list.

So whats the problem with it now?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:10 pm 
Gamer
Gamer

Simply this, although it is much better currently, some actions SHOULD NOT have an effect on your rating (Capturing a based planet that is UNUPGRADED, has NO POPULATION, has NO CREDITS, has NOTHING AT ALL)

Now, I will correct Daedalus a little bit, yes, I killed Violater to fix my rating, but it was a planned death, I paid him to let me pod him. The other positive thing is that Tarnus had placed a 2T bounty on him, so not only did I fix my rating, but I also got 1.9T credits after paying him the 100b credits I agreed to pay him for letting me pod him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:16 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Max Griswald wrote:
Simply this, although it is much better currently, some actions SHOULD NOT have an effect on your rating (Capturing a based planet that is UNUPGRADED, has NO POPULATION, has NO CREDITS, has NOTHING AT ALL)

Now, I will correct Daedalus a little bit, yes, I killed Violater to fix my rating, but it was a planned death, I paid him to let me pod him. The other positive thing is that Tarnus had placed a 2T bounty on him, so not only did I fix my rating, but I also got 1.9T credits after paying him the 100b credits I agreed to pay him for letting me pod him.

Hmmm will have to verify with PJ but that really shouldn't effect your alignment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:25 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Daedalus wrote:

Geez! Im still laughing over this! Wish I'd thought of it. I guess letting yourself get killed for profit is a reasonable strategy!
Well I have a couple of questions about alignment still.
1) Can neutral rated players also attack good/evil ones or is it only good Vs. evil, evil Vs. good?
2) In my own case I have no idea why I went evil! I assume it had to do with leaving my team?

Its only Good Vs Evil. Normal bounty applies to good vs good, evil vs evil as well as neutral vs good or evil. The only bounty free attack is opposing alignment.

Have you attacked or blown up any planets?

A player attacking will move you slightly;y I believe. We will have to wait till PJ gets back from holiday to verify.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:43 pm 
Developer
Developer

Max Griswald wrote:

If the planet is owned by someone it will ALWAYS affect your rating based upon the owners alignment. The amount of rating change isn't based on the size of the planet anymore. It is just one small fixed value.

If the planet isn't owned by anyone then there is no rating change when you capture it.

This is not going to change. It is still a planet owned by somsone and it doesn't matter if they upgraded it or not. You still attacked a planet owned by someone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:55 pm 
Gamer
Gamer

PJ, don't you see the abuse here? Top players skew their alignment, then build hundreds (or capture) of tiny planets, spend NOTHING except 10m credits to base them, and wait for the newbs to take them. Newbs take the planets not knowing any better, and suddenly a player who is 500k score can be hit by a player with 20m score. The new players don't know how/why they are always getting killed, get frustrated, and quit the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:36 pm 
Developer
Developer

No I don't see a problem.

Things are a little skewed in the main game because there are so many planets owned by evil players. In a fresh game it won't be as bad and it really isn't that bad in the main game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:47 pm 
Gamer
Gamer

I disagree. It doesn't take long to get your alignment turned to Evil, and once you do that, you just keep leaving empty planets around for people to grab. It doesn't cost you hardly anything, but when enough get taken, you are able to start hitting smaller players without bounty. It kind of snowballs from there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:27 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

OK as I said earlier look at the numbers... there are like 6 good players and 4 evil players out of 89 players. From those number ALOT of noobs must be gettin slaughtered ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:54 pm 
Gamer
Gamer

Uh, you do realize that when a player gets podded, they lose a good chunk of their rating, whether Good or Evil. I've taken away a lot of rating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:05 pm 
Developer
Developer

Might be a little harder now. :) All scans will list if the planet is neutral, good or evil. :) Players can more easily avoid evil or good player planets. :D

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next