It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 7:21 pm

The forum is READ ONLY. Please direct any future discussions to our Facebook page

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cheaters
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:29 pm 
Developer
Developer

Fortunately multiple account don't mean anything in AATrade unless the admin of the game radically changes the game settings.

I checked the Fundamental servers. They are running AATrade 0.21 and have settings that SHOULD have them on the non-recommended list.

An IGB interest rate of 5.5% updated every 45 minutes is a cheaters paradise. Everyone will be logging in with multiple accounts because they can make tons of money doing absolutely nothing. Whomever made changes like that to the settings has absolutely no idea about game balance. Stuff like this PROMOTES multiple accounts. There are probably far more multiples that you know on those servers. The SMART players will be creating multiples through proxies and killing them off on a regular basis after transferring the money generated.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:48 pm 

I must reply to this. There's far more to this story than meets they eye. I am one of the "cheaters". It all started at ANOTHER server. One player repeatedly cheats, admin has been made aware by several people. Nothing is ever done about it. So, we decided as a large group that we should give the cheater a dose of his own medicine. Rather than mess up the server where people are actually playing we took it to another server that wasn't used anymore other than by the "original cheater", and should have reset a month before we all joined. At any rate, it was VERY clear we were cheating, and why! Hence all the similar names. Why is it that when we ask for help, we're ignored, but when we take matters into our own hand by ridiculing the player and paying him back, suddenly "help" comes?

Now, on the subject of coding, personally, i prefer the .21 over the newer version. I know a few people that do, too. None of those have ever exploited the "outdated" code by making multis. I prefer to play the right way, unless I'm provoked over and over and over again, all while having asked for help, and having been ignored.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:36 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

dutchintexas wrote:
I must reply to this. There's far more to this story than meets they eye. I am one of the "cheaters". It all started at ANOTHER server. One player repeatedly cheats, admin has been made aware by several people. Nothing is ever done about it. So, we decided as a large group that we should give the cheater a dose of his own medicine. Rather than mess up the server where people are actually playing we took it to another server that wasn't used anymore other than by the "original cheater", and should have reset a month before we all joined. At any rate, it was VERY clear we were cheating, and why! Hence all the similar names. Why is it that when we ask for help, we're ignored, but when we take matters into our own hand by ridiculing the player and paying him back, suddenly "help" comes?

Obviously your playing on poorly admined servers or servers that do not have an active admin. By using an excuse that he cheated therefore we cheated is lame. Reminds me of all the FPS games that had proxies, cheating is cheating there is no valid reason to cheat period. Rather than cheat you should have just banded together and targeted the player by beating him legally. Would have proved the point we usually do in our games that cheating gets you no where and only losers cheat.

Quote:
Now, on the subject of coding, personally, i prefer the .21 over the newer version. I know a few people that do, too. None of those have ever exploited the "outdated" code by making multis. I prefer to play the right way, unless I'm provoked over and over and over again, all while having asked for help, and having been ignored.

Sounds like you haven't spent any time in a .30 game. The .30 code is by far the most balanced code there is. So either you like .21 because of the imbalance or you dislike .30 because its a tougher more fairer game.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:16 pm 

[quote="Tarnus"]

Obviously your playing on poorly admined servers or servers that do not have an active admin. By using an excuse that he cheated therefore we cheated is lame. Reminds me of all the FPS games that had proxies, cheating is cheating there is no valid reason to cheat period. Rather than cheat you should have just banded together and targeted the player by beating him legally. Would have proved the point we usually do in our games that cheating gets you no where and only losers cheat.
]
You are correcting in what you said about cheating. That had happened on many occasions where a certain player was cheating and there was little to no response by the admin. The other problem with this player was that they would play on public computers with internet access. making it hard for an admin to do anything effective either. Playing within the rules makes a game much more enjoyable, But what do you do when no matter how much effort you put into making that player learn that cheating doesn't pay or get him ahead in the game fails? From a lack of an admin response and continuous work against this player we finally took matters into our own hands. The big problem here now is that this admin has posted peoples IP addresses on this forum.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:05 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well now you have the admins attention. Maybe you should PM him explaining what was going on. Your best bet is to play on servers where the admins keep close tabs on the game. This makes the game fair for everyone. Playing on free for all servers doesn't make for a fun game. I can recommend servers where there are good admins, however they are all upgraded to newer versions of the game in order to help prevent against player exploits.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:53 pm 

Tarnus, I totally agree that two wrongs don't make a right. Should we have cheated? Nope. But lemme tell you how frustrating it is when you're trying to play a game fairly, and be ACCUSED of being a cheater, BY that cheater. VERY frustrating. We did this for many rounds. Finally, we got fed up enough to do something about it, other than trying to do it the right way, by contacting admin. Again, we knew it wasn't right, but we gave him a dose of is own medicine, he SD'ed, and that was that. We went back to playing fair on the other server.

I've just now started playing on main. I wanted to get some basics down, before playing with the "big boys".
I want to give you an FYI, if I remember correctly, you admin there. There are three names in use that play in the same household. IP will depend on which router we hook up to. If you'd like me to explain, I'd be more than happy to, you can either PM me, or send me an email.

As far as my IP address up there, I've already gotten threats. I was wondering if you'd consider taking them down before some loonie gets hold of it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:58 pm 

one more thing I forgot to address. Yep, it's easy to target a legit player. It's harder however when that player sd's when you're on the attack. Then, comes back as someone else, does the bounty thing to get cash and whammo, you're back where you started.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:44 pm 
AA Trader
AA Trader

Why not just spell out the player name in rankings that your having a problem with. Otherwise people that check out the rankings may just assume the wrong things about the wrong player. By the way you playing outdated code and its going to be really tough when certain players use things that give advantage over others no matter if the "others" are way better normally.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:58 pm 

A-Blitz wrote:
Why not just spell out the player name in rankings that your having a problem with. Otherwise people that check out the rankings may just assume the wrong things about the wrong player. By the way you playing outdated code and its going to be really tough when certain players use things that give advantage over others no matter if the "others" are way better normally.

everyone knew exactly whom we were mocking. It was very clear by the names we created. It was also very obvious we WERE using multis, we posted about it in the shout box. It was just us, the ones that got fed up, and him.
The point is, I guess, no matter how "outdated" and easy to cheat the old code is, it doesn't matter, as long as all players play by the rules. We all did, and still do, on the main server we play. We took it elsewhere to hash it out.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:45 am 
Forum Roamer
Forum Roamer

Ok, heres the deal, Tarnus is 100% about a game without an active admin. This games admin has appearently abandoned the game. I was asked to look into it by the site owner. It is overdue for reset, however it will be removed and a redirect to the sites main game will be set in its place.

As for the main game at Fun D, the sites owner is training a new admin, so things can be kept in order. Expect the AAT .21 game at Fun D to be "under new and active management" in the next few weeks, along with my ORIGINAL settings for that code base. (this will fix the intrest rate that PJ mentioned, and return a semblance of balance).

Also The management at Fun D would like to appologize for the lack of administration, they were unaware until this issue came to a head.

Also a note for all players, if contacting an admin, and you get no reply, please attempt to contact the site owner, as they arent always the same person.

I'd like to appologize to the folks that found themselves in a corner, but cheating is cheating, reguardless of the reason, so none will be given. You'd have been better off to just move on to a game that has an active admin.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:33 am 

Gvar wrote:
Ok, heres the deal, Tarnus is 100% about a game without an active admin. This games admin has appearently abandoned the game. I was asked to look into it by the site owner. It is overdue for reset, however it will be removed and a redirect to the sites main game will be set in its place.

As for the main game at Fun D, the sites owner is training a new admin, so things can be kept in order. Expect the AAT .21 game at Fun D to be "under new and active management" in the next few weeks, along with my ORIGINAL settings for that code base. (this will fix the intrest rate that PJ mentioned, and return a semblance of balance).

Also The management at Fun D would like to appologize for the lack of administration, they were unaware until this issue came to a head.

Also a note for all players, if contacting an admin, and you get no reply, please attempt to contact the site owner, as they arent always the same person.

I'd like to appologize to the folks that found themselves in a corner, but cheating is cheating, reguardless of the reason, so none will be given. You'd have been better off to just move on to a game that has an active admin.

Gvar, it's sort of hard to contact ANYONE if you don't know their contact information, let alone WHOM the person is that is "in charge" overall. It's not like it is readily available anywhere on the site. We did what we KNOW was the right thing, we used the links that ARE on the site that say: Contact Admin. To no avail, over and over.
Again, we KNOW it's not right to cheat. That was not the main issue. The main issue is the fact that we accomplished what we wanted. We finally got rid of the pest (for the time being). Why should WE all move from a server we enjoy, and have fun at, all because of one rotten apple? If 20 kids at a playground get along, and one bully comes around, why not take care of the bully, rather than make everyone else find another sandbox? Do you see what I'm saying? Sometimes you gotta take matters into your own hands when you're not receiving the help you asked for.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:33 am 

Gvar wrote:

Gvar, it's sort of hard to contact ANYONE if you don't know their contact information, let alone WHOM the person is that is "in charge" overall. It's not like it is readily available anywhere on the site. We did what we KNOW was the right thing, we used the links that ARE on the site that say: Contact Admin. To no avail, over and over.
Again, we KNOW it's not right to cheat. That was not the main issue. The main issue is the fact that we accomplished what we wanted. We finally got rid of the pest (for the time being). Why should WE all move from a server we enjoy, and have fun at, all because of one rotten apple? If 20 kids at a playground get along, and one bully comes around, why not take care of the bully, rather than make everyone else find another sandbox? Do you see what I'm saying? Sometimes you gotta take matters into your own hands when you're not receiving the help you asked for.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:24 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

dutchintexas wrote:
one more thing I forgot to address. Yep, it's easy to target a legit player. It's harder however when that player sd's when you're on the attack. Then, comes back as someone else, does the bounty thing to get cash and whammo, you're back where you started.

That player will have to wait 3 days to come back and not to mention the fact that fed bounties are rarely collectible. We have worked hard at taking away as many loopholes as possible to keep everyone playing by the same rules.

I would much rather lose to a good opponent than win a game I have to cheat to beat. There is no fun in cheating... believe me I have been accused many a time. Even by some admins, I had to pull one admin into chat once and explain what was going on. There are times when admins don't have good enough tools to see when cheating is occurring. We have given admins much better tools in newer versions to combat cheaters, however, a good admin still needs to be diligent.

We have several people that play from the same IP, we usually look for patterns of play for these users. As long as they let us know we rarely kick them from the game without a few warnings.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:04 am 

Tarnus wrote:
dutchintexas wrote:

That player will have to wait 3 days to come back and not to mention the fact that fed bounties are rarely collectible. We have worked hard at taking away as many loopholes as possible to keep everyone playing by the same rules.

I would much rather lose to a good opponent than win a game I have to cheat to beat. There is no fun in cheating... believe me I have been accused many a time. Even by some admins, I had to pull one admin into chat once and explain what was going on. There are times when admins don't have good enough tools to see when cheating is occurring. We have given admins much better tools in newer versions to combat cheaters, however, a good admin still needs to be diligent.

We have several people that play from the same IP, we usually look for patterns of play for these users. As long as they let us know we rarely kick them from the game without a few warnings.

On FunD you can make a new email account and be back to playing 3 minutes after you self destruct. I created 6 characters in a matter of minutes, all with brandnew email accounts. You're absolutely correct in saying you'd rather lose to a good opponent than win a game by cheating. Feel the same way.
We meant no harm by doing what we did, other than toward the original cheater/annoyance that everyone got tired of. Once that "fun" was over, we went back to playing the right way on the other FunD server and on main.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:05 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

dutchintexas wrote:
On FunD you can make a new email account and be back to playing 3 minutes after you self destruct. I created 6 characters in a matter of minutes, all with brandnew email accounts. You're absolutely correct in saying you'd rather lose to a good opponent than win a game by cheating. Feel the same way.
We meant no harm by doing what we did, other than toward the original cheater/annoyance that everyone got tired of. Once that "fun" was over, we went back to playing the right way on the other FunD server and on main.

Yes you can do that, but from the admin panel in the player monitor we can see who and how many accounts are attached to any IP, takes us 2 secs to see that. Then we will give the player a chance to explain why that is. Especially if the players profile is not linked. All actions are logged so we can usually know when score are moving a little too unreasonable. The logging even flags rapid credit and score changes to make it easier for an admin to spot in the logs.

The other biggie is even if that player SDed he can't easily go back and get his credits. If his score is too low in comparison to the planet value, then the planet will blow itself up.

We try to put in as many ways to stop excessive cheating as we can, we don't catch them all but we do catch them... there is even code in the game setup that if you try to do specific cheat related things it will basically kill your account without us having to do anything.

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next