It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:57 pm

The forum is READ ONLY. Please direct any future discussions to our Facebook page

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Suicide and rejoin
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:50 pm 

Just curious about this.

Suppose a player does something really stupid (or maybe intentionally mean) and gets a large Federation bounty on them (like 132T). Because of the bounty, they then get attacked by other big players in the game, and end up with a score around -650,000. After trying to get their score back above 0, they suicide, and then rejoin the game.

Is this kosher? I mean, if this is a valid and accepted tactic, then it's something I need to remember for the future as it is surely a great way to pick on smaller players.

Post subject: Re: Suicide and rejoin
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:38 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

gizmo wrote:
Just curious about this.

Suppose a player does something really stupid (or maybe intentionally mean) and gets a large Federation bounty on them (like 132T). Because of the bounty, they then get attacked by other big players in the game, and end up with a score around -650,000. After trying to get their score back above 0, they suicide, and then rejoin the game.

Is this kosher? I mean, if this is a valid and accepted tactic, then it's something I need to remember for the future as it is surely a great way to pick on smaller players.

We prefer players wait the 3 day purge before rejoining. I usually send warnings when I see it happen where they rejoin immediately.

Maybe I should put it this way. If you were on the other side of that attack, how would you feel about it? The fed bounty is intentionally evil to eliminate the bullying of smaller players.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:09 pm 

Tarnus wrote:
Maybe I should put it this way. If you were on the other side of that attack, how would you feel about it? The fed bounty is intentionally evil to eliminate the bullying of smaller players.

That's the reason I'm bringing this up, because it is happening right now in the main game.

Edgar Buroughs got a 132T credit Fed bounty two days ago. He got pounded pretty hard, and ended up with a score around -650,000. After getting his score back to -285,000 or so, he suicided and signed back in yesterday as Lazarus Long.

Now, if this is a valid and accepted tactic, then it's one that I'll remember, because it has all kinds of possibilities. E.g. capture a bunch of planets, strip them of all cash and defenses, bully some players, get yourself killed (or suicide). Your planets go Indy, you log back in as someone new, go find your old planets that went Indy, recapture them, now you're back rockin' and rollin', and only slightly worse for wear, having neatly side-stepped the Fed bounty. Rinse and repeat.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:23 pm 
AA Warrior
AA Warrior

You'll find that doing that won't be conducive to rising much above a 1-2M score range, if you can even do that. I personally think you wouldn't even be able to maintain that. It won't work. And if it did work, it would be unethical.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:51 pm 
Developer
Developer

Gizmo, you can do it but it isn't that productive and you will probably take a very long time to get your planets back.

Why?

When you get killed out of the game or suicide your planets go independent and they DO NOT lose any tech levels. When you have a planet go independent on its own it will have damaged tech levels so the original owner can more easily take it back. But if a player suicides that doesn't happen. So you may know where your planets are but you will have to build up enough to be able to take them back just like any other player.

The other thing to consider is that the Independent planets will be UPGRADING themselves while you are building up enough to try and take them back. So your old planets might just turn into some very tough take backs that cost you a big chunk of money and time.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:54 pm 
AA Warrior
AA Warrior

And in addition to that, it could take up to 4 days for your planet to give you your money.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]