It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:01 am

The forum is READ ONLY. Please direct any future discussions to our Facebook page

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: PLEASE CHANGE SOME THINGS
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:49 pm 
Trial
Trial

I REAALLY think you should change some things back to the way they were. a friend on a diff game said that the sectors used to be sequenced, the turns you gain back were 50 every 10 mins, and that the map was a lot less confusing. also said he only sees like 79 players and there used to be thousands. in otherwords it's not good any way you look at it. please revert some things. or could you tell me where i could try out the old version?

Post subject: Re: PLEASE CHANGE SOME THINGS
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:46 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Your not going to see this happen. There has NEVER been a setting on our server that was 50 turns every 10 mins. Also the reason we eliminated seq sectors was it made it too easy to find players.

There have never been thousands that have played our game, might be nice but I have never seen it, perhaps a server that never ever purged players, but never seen that many.

The reason for less players is more to be blamed by XBox, Wii and Playstation rather than on the game itself.

All the changes we make, we do so for a reason, and thats to make better game play. If your lost ask for help, everyone is more than willing to help.

The map is a grid of the universe (the mini nav map) Look at the 3D Galaxy map and you can see how it navigates. You want to move toward the upper right you click on the sectors in that grid, the closer to the red dot, the shorter the hop. What you are seeing in the mininav is the closest sectors in the grid.

Hope this gives you some insite.

Post subject: Re: PLEASE CHANGE SOME THINGS
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:08 am 
Developer
Developer

Let's take these one by one. :)

reptilezero wrote:
I REAALLY think you should change some things back to the way they were. a friend on a diff game said that the sectors used to be sequenced

Yes, a very, very LONG time ago, what 3+ years back, the game used sequential sector numbers. It was a very bad thing and not logical. It also allowed EXPLOITING of the game because players could Sequential Search. People were using Scripts to search through all sectors with absolutely no effort. Some players were doing it on a daily basis and NO ONE could even think about hiding. A 5,000 sector game with a max of 8,000 turns and they could Realspace from sector to sector using only 1 turn. They could check every sector in the game and still have 3,000 turns left to attack the players they found.

We removed that lame EXPLOIT by having sector names. So they are never going to go back. If you notice most players don't have a problem with it especially since the change has been there for YEARS. Many players have never seen sequential sector numbering and that's a good thing.

reptilezero wrote:
the turns you gain back were 50 every 10 mins

Since an admin can change how how many turns are given and how many minutes between them in the configuration I am sure they saw servers setup that way. Our servers never went anywhere that high on turns and we initially started at 6 minute intervals but change it to a more round 5 minute interval.

reptilezero wrote:
and that the map was a lot less confusing.

Well, duh... The old, old, OLD mapping system left nothing to the imagination. Everything was laid out for you on a silver platter. You could use the maps to Sequential Search all of the sectors. We found that out after changing to the new sector naming system. Even though we removed Sequential Searches by changing to the new naming we forgot you could still do it with the Map. So it had to be changed to prevent it. So the map will only show sectors you have scanned or been.

reptilezero wrote:
also said he only sees like 79 players and there used to be thousands.

Actually, we have NEVER had thousands of players in our game. It would be nice but it has never happened. I think we have maxed out close to 200 once but that was for a very short time. Usually we run close to 100 players. If you don't play for 2 weeks you are DELETED from the game and don't show up on the rankings. Dead players killed out of the game don't show up either. Everyone in our ranking page has played within a two week period. If an admin turned off the automatic purging then a server running a long time could show thousands of players. If you looked at the ranking page and sorted by the last time players had logged in you would find most players hadn't played in MONTHS. Big deal if the game shows thousands of players but only has 20 active players in the game. Some admins might turn off the purging to fake people out into thinking they have a lot of active players when they don't.

reptilezero wrote:
in otherwords it's not good any way you look at it. please revert some things. or could you tell me where i could try out the old version?

Actually most of the changes we have made people have really liked and have really enhanced the game. You can't just create a player and sit on your butt and make money like you can in some games. You actually have to think and use your brain to play. If you don't then you won't get anywhere. So nothing is going to get reverted. Never going to happen.

If you want older versions you can get them at Sourceforge via the Download link on the games web site. Every single version of the game we have ever released is on there. The first version was 0.10 and was released on Aug 4th, 2003. We have been developing this game for 6 years now and it has evolved into a much better game over the years.

If you don't like it then we are sorry. We are not going to revert anything that is in the game. We ARE open to suggestions as long as they aren't "Yuckie-poo, I hate this... I want the old stuff back NOW!".

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]