It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 11:01 pm

The forum is READ ONLY. Please direct any future discussions to our Facebook page

Page 9 of 13 [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Newbies!
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:28 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

No you are misunderstanding what I had told Max. High SD sensors will work, however without the quantity of fighters to go after the attacker his ship may take little or no damage. I had discovered when I was dealing with Big that you need 40 mill Plus to keep a larger player out. In a slower moving game where people use razors as a&r ships you may find lower SD numbers will keep them out.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:42 pm 
Gamer
Gamer

There are slower moving games? Where? I'd bet they have 1 players, called Federation.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:35 pm 
AA Warrior
AA Warrior

It would be boring. I think as it is is perfect.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:09 am 

I haven't played for quite some time so there's a lot of new changes for me.

One of them appears to be that you have to retrieve a stored ship from the shipyard where the new purchase was made. Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly, but I seem to recall being able to switch to any ship in storage at any shipyard in the past -- of course shipyards weren't only available at based planets before. So do I have it right? If so that begs a couple more questions:

What happens to your stored ships if the planet you used to make your ship purchases is attacked and captured, goes independent, or is destroyed? What if your ship is subsequently destroyed? Do you find yourself adrift in a Pioneer in the Sol sector with no ships to switch to?

Is there a way to assign a different storage planet to a ship already in storage?

Am I missing something painfully obvious that makes all of this irrelevant?

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:22 pm 
Developer
Developer

Jack Acid wrote:
I haven't played for quite some time so there's a lot of new changes for me.

Glad to have you back.

Jack Acid wrote:
What happens to your stored ships if the planet you used to make your ship purchases is attacked and captured, goes independent, or is destroyed? What if your ship is subsequently destroyed? Do you find yourself adrift in a Pioneer in the Sol sector with no ships to switch to?

Is there a way to assign a different storage planet to a ship already in storage?

If a planet you own is captured then all ships on the planet that have Emergency Warp Devices will try to warp away to another planet you own. If the ship dowsn' have an EWD or the EWD fails then the ship is CAPTURED by the attacker. So make sure ever ship you own has EWD's onboard.

If your ship is destroyed you are still dropped into Sol sector in a Pioneer. So you had better remember how to get to one of your planets from Sol so you can change ships.

And right now there isn't a way to assign ships to different planets. You will have to move them yourself by driving them from one planet to another.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:51 am 

Just to make sure I fully understand this:

If I've purchased 4 ships (and equipped them all with EWD's) from the Shipyard on planet A and also land on there before logging off and it is attacked and captured:

1) The ship I was parked in ends up somewhere in the galaxy.

2) The 3 ships that were in storage end up in storage on another planet (randomly chosen) I own.

3) If one of those ships' EWDs fails then the attacker now owns that ship.

Will ships warp to or from planets in SG sectors or just realspace sectors?

2nd issue:

So right now the only way to move several stored ships from one planet to another is to go get in one, fly to the new based planet, visit the shipyard, buy a Pioneer, fly it back to the original planet, visit the Shipyard, switch ships, rinse, repeat.

If that is correct, then this will turn into a suggestion -- how about creating the Galactic Valet Service (or Galactic Towing Service) that, for a nominal fee, will fly your ship from one of your based planets to another and put it in storage for you?

Sorry if I'm beating this to death, but what happens with the ships in certain situations seems pretty important to me, so I want to make sure I know what happens.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:05 pm 
Gamer
Gamer

Usually, if you land on a planet and it is attacked, you lose your ship that is landed. If you have stored ships, they all try and use an available EWD. If successful, they will fly to any random planet, regardless of SG or not, that you control. Sometimes this isn't actually a help, because ofttimes you will find that your ship is in an old SG you don't remember how to get to, and so you get Sol-bumped and can't sleep in Fed space. This is mostly only a problem if you have A) A Federation/Alliance bounty, or B) An overdue IGB loan. With either situation, you cannot access the Upgrades port to boost your engines up to fly to said planet, and ofttimes this ship isn't even a good ship. Usually it is a trash Endeavour you use for nova-bombing or something. The ship is basically worthless to you in your current state, but it causes aggrevation due to the fact that you cannot purchase a pod, sleep in Fed space, or get your ship.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:19 am 
Trial
Trial

Heya

I think I have gotten somewhat hang of the start. However, few things still remain that I dont quite get yet.

Sector Defence, cloak and jammer:
Do I need to upgrade them on EACH planet for them to be effective or just one(in that particular sector)?

When using IGB to collect moneyh from planets, does it count as one move or same as visiting all planets?

In general, how much lower the planets defence's should be for me to feel safe about attacking it?

When translating tech levels into ship value, how much value they lose when purchasing new ship and using old ship as a tradeoff?

And last one: What is the up up down down left right left right A B Start of this game? :p

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:18 pm 
AA Warrior
AA Warrior

Rova wrote:
Heya

I think I have gotten somewhat hang of the start. However, few things still remain that I dont quite get yet.

Sector Defence, cloak and jammer:
Do I need to upgrade them on EACH planet for them to be effective or just one(in that particular sector)?

When using IGB to collect moneyh from planets, does it count as one move or same as visiting all planets?

In general, how much lower the planets defence's should be for me to feel safe about attacking it?

When translating tech levels into ship value, how much value they lose when purchasing new ship and using old ship as a tradeoff?

And last one: What is the up up down down left right left right A B Start of this game? :p

Thanks in advance.

1. You only need to upgrade them on a single planet. However, upgrading the weapons tech on multiple planets will allow you to have more fighters in the sector.

2. It will not take many turns. I think it was like 4 when I had 25 or so planets. It will tell you how many its using on the page.

3. If the planet's beams are about equal to your shield, it probably won't be able to break through. If the planet has very high beams though, and high sensors, don't even try a SOFA attack. I've been killed a few times like that ;) Also, if your just looking at tech levels, remember that if a planet has x level tech in some area, that's the same as your ship having x+20 tech in that area. If the planet has level 330 beams, you'll have an equal number of shields at 350.

4. I believe that when you trade in an old ship, you get a discount/refund equal to exactly half of the old ship's value. So for every 1M credits you invest in it, you get 500k back.

5. I have no idea what you're talking about.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:23 pm 
AA Trader
AA Trader

PJ., Sector defenses are supposed to get their defending abilities from the planet with highest tect level as has been mentioned. But what if you upgrade all the rest of planets sd, and sensor levels in the sector somewhat ? Is this adding to the sd abilites at all or not ? I just dont like seeing Zeros for any level, on any planet usually.

Edit: I know the sd levels need to upgraded on all planets in order to have more fighters. I'm just talking about the sensor/cloak levels on the rest.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:41 pm 
Developer
Developer

No it is not multiplied. The highest level is the one that is used.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:26 pm 

After using a Sector Genesis device, how long does it take for planets to form? I used two 2 days ago to form a hiding space, and so far there`s only 1 planet in each.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:58 pm 
Developer
Developer

Sector Genesis Devices only create a sector. If you want more planets you have to create them using the Genesis Device. There is a Genesis Device used to make and destroy planets and a Sector Genesis Device used to make sectors.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:46 am 

I`m sorry, I meant to ask why is there only 1 star in each SG.

Sector Genesis Torpedoes - Sector genesis works very similarly to regular genesis however they create a completely new sector in unknown space. They will randomly generate ports and stars for that sector.

The above explaination seems to imply that there should be more than just 1 star in each SG, but that`s all I`m getting, 1 per SG. What did I do wrong?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:22 am 
Developer
Developer

There is only one star per sector. It's the TYPE of star and the type of star denotes how many planets the sector can support.

Page 9 of 13 [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next