It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:29 am

The forum is READ ONLY. Please direct any future discussions to our Facebook page

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Google Chrome
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:22 pm 
Trial
Trial

Some of you might find this interesting

Google's created their own browser. It looks pretty nice and streamlined and their little comic explaining it seems to make sense. No hands on experience as of yet but I'll try to update it after I use it.

Post subject: Re: Google Chrome
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:40 pm 
Developer
Developer

I have been reading reviews on it and it seems to be a mixed bag. Some claim it is faster and others claim it is slower.

There also apparently some issues with plugin like flash not working at all. Plus it seems their javascript engine may be lacking and causing many sites to fail that use a lot of custom javascript.

I hate the fact they released a new browser because if it becomes even marginally popular it will be another browser to support. Each browser has it's own weird quirks you have to program for and even though it uses basically the core code that Safari uses even Safari has some major compatibility problems.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:06 pm 
Trial
Trial

Well gee pj. Thanks for raining on my parade :razz: . So far I really like chrome though. It's fast, does what it's supposed to do, and I haven't encountered any problems in anything as of yet. I'll run it through a gauntlet of flash games and excessive use to see how well it stands up. :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:04 am 
Forum Roamer
Forum Roamer

I gave it a whirl and gave up after a few hours. I liked the bigger display panel; it only devoted a small percentage more of its screen presence to the browser window compared to Firefox, but you notice it immediately.
What I didn't like is that every 5th page I tried to load would show up blank and I'd have to refresh the page to get it to display. That kills when you're submitting text such as forum posts or AAT trade routes.
Plus, it doesn't have the google adblock :lol:

Rumor has it they eventually want to amalgamate Firefox and Chrome together. Lord knows why they don't just keep on propping up Mozilla like they have been doing.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:41 pm 
AA Warrior
AA Warrior

Yeah, it's not using flash for me. It tells me I don't have flash, and asks me if I want to download. That's wrong, because I do have it, but I can't follow up on it to see if downloading it again would fix it, since I don't have sufficient rights (not on admin account on family computer).

The speed of the browser is very variable. It's fast, then it's slow. It's weird. I think something must be going on. When it's working like it's supposed to, it's faster than ie and has a much bigger website-viewing area. The browser itself takes up less screen space.

I'm going to wait a week, and then check it out. I use google's ie toolbar thing a lot, and it DOESN'T SEEM TO HAVE THOSE CAPABILITIES!!! That doesn't make any sense. With the ie toolbar, I've got a nifty little search box where I can choose to search the web, the current site, etc. And the pop up blocker is pretty reliable too. I'm sure all that'll be incorporated soon enough (if there's not already a way to do it). I'd love to get on the admin account and see what I can do with it (probably give it great upgrades), but that's inconvenient, so not now.

Ok, it's the next day, and I have gotten some stuff straightened out. I'm using Chrome right now and really like it. It is fast.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]