It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:41 pm

The forum is READ ONLY. Please direct any future discussions to our Facebook page

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: A minor tracking change...
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:55 pm 
Developer
Developer

This is kind of minor but Tarnus thought just showing built planets in a players stats and ranking was kind of skewed. So we have added tracking for how many planets each player has based and how many planets they have destroyed with the nova bomb or genesis device.

We found some players were creating and destroying planets over and over to try and get a planet they liked. So the planets built was way high even though they had only a handful of planets. If you see a player with a bunch of planet builds and a bunch of planet destructions then they are one of those players trying to find a planet they like. Shame on them. :domotwak:

We added the tracking of based planets. This is how many times a player has based planets and not the total number of based planets they have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:09 pm 
Gamer
Gamer

and whats wrong with getting a planet that you like? if you are only allowed to have a relatively small number of planets (compared to the 800+ I have atm (soon to be 1000-1500 in the next few days before kitty matrix resets) why can't I make sure the ones I do have don't have some worthless 62% organics production?

no shame there, just good old common sense...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:19 pm 
Developer
Developer

Life's not fair and you can't always get everything you want, the way you want.

We have a couple of ideas on how to deal with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:35 pm 
AA Trader
AA Trader

No life definitely isnt fair but i got to agree with Max here on one point. That is i dont want to settle for a sh*tty planet especially if its like 50% production in one area. The stat tracking is fine tho.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 8:13 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Be careful, we could always not tell you how well the production is and you get to figure it out. ;) I'd rather have the oportunity to know what kind of planets are made.

Lets remember in the reality geneisis devices could create an initial planet and you would only know how well that planet will do over time as it matures into a specific type of planet. That type of planet could be a strickly volcanic planet, or it could be a lush green planet you would never know initially (this maybe the way to go PJ ;) ) .

Imagine a game where your planets production could change as the planet matured. If your planet became over populated all the resources could be depleted leaving your planet a worthless hull that would produce minimally...

Be thankful we havent implemented something like that, could be interesting though ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:46 pm 
Gamer
Gamer

I won't be thankful for that, because if/when you do implement some shit like that, I will laugh as you see <10 players on .3x code, and everyone playing either, A) another game, or B) .21 code

you start trying to force everyone into using one strategy, what the hell is the point? anyway, I find the .30 code to be flawed in many ways already, of which I have mentioned most of them already, so I won't reiterate them, but the point is, you keep restricting play-types, and you'll have a very limitted audience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 3:08 am 
Developer
Developer

Chuckle, I think Tarnus will back me up on this. :D We heard the same complaints from others when we made drastic changes from 0.14 to 0.20/1. Funny thing is all of those people were completely wrong as well. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:16 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Max just because you are oppinionated, doesnt make you right. We have been working on the game for many years more than you have been playing it. .30 is superior code to previous versions. Everything we do, we do for a reason, and we won't please everyone.

Max your more than welcome to take the code and do with it what you want for your own game, thats why its called open source. And we will continue to do what we want with OUR game. Everything we add or try to implement we try to balance out with builders and attackers. Things are tested.

BTW your wrong about the 2000 sector thing. Sure people have been found, but many have not. This isnt a .21 game where you can do sector by sector searching.

Funny thing is, I've talked to many people playing the game longer than you have, none of them have said .30 is flawed... only you have... Just be cause it doesnt play like YOU feel it should be played does not make it flawed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 10:37 pm 
Gamer
Gamer

not sure how we got onto the 2000 sector subject on this thread, but since an admin decided to bring it up here, I'll finish it here...with <45 mins of searching, this is the list of people I found that I *couldn't* take. now, add to this the fact that I am currently 1st place for planet captures also, and you will that it is too easy to find people with so few sectors (I've also found three team sectors scanning through links, which I won't post) if I'd had anything more than a columbus, I'd have had 4-5 more kills (depending on how ships on a planet affect the attack) and would probably be top5 atm. I'm not even spending time on the server though, due to the kitty matrix being about to reset, and it is my primary concern atm (the scores should get recorded to our profiles from there)

- Electro

- Sgt Adam

- Jack

-> (SG) - Death

- ???

- WhoamI

- Indy

- Hitman/Thor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 11:11 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

So you have what 10 out of 40 people... And more than likely those people build close to sol as they were just starting out. And come on why did you post thier sector numbers....not cool, no matter if its a beta. I again edited your post.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... Beta games are not profiles, once the game is released those games will start to be profiled.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 11:47 pm 
Gamer
Gamer

I know. you just apparently don't read. my comment about profiles was me saying I was putting more time into the kitty matrix than the beta, because I am wanting another game added to my profile, and the beta won't, yet the kitty matrix game *should* be added (the last two were added to some of the people who played them, so I'm assuming that when the server resets this time, it will add the scores to our profiles this time also.) I was not complaining about the beta NOT adding scores to the profiles, I was giving a reason why I wasn't putting time into the beta.

I also forgot to mention:

Gabby501
Wwwmesss
T101

and ofcourse the four people on my team whom I located planets for while searching.

you can check the logs to see that yes I scanned their planets and yes I even tried attacking a couple with their ships on the planets just to see if I could break, but with a columbus, I couldn't.

I found atleast 15/40 people in <45 mins of searching. yes, they did have planets built close to sol for the most part, but I guarantee that given 24 hours of gametime, I could find 95% of the planets on the server, with just a 2000 sector game. sorry to say, but its just that easy to find you guys.

as to why I posted sector numbers? I copied the info from a notepad document. I'm sorry, but my time is too valuable to sit here and edit some info just because you don't want your sector locations to get out. want to know what I have every right to do? I could PM everyone in the game with the list. geee, now C&Ping the list into a forum that 90% of the players don't ever even read doesn't seem so bad. I mean, for crying out loud, its info that I collected, if I want to share it with WHOEVER I want, I have the right to...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:22 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sure you could do that, but I'm convinced you are liable to have every player in the game decide to make an example out of you. Your choice... Post the info and be an A** or be a good contributing player, its up to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 1:19 am 
Gamer
Gamer

again, I'm not scared of anyone in the game. if they want to "make an example" of me, so be it. I'll survive, and then they will have to deal with me. simple as that. I can always hide my identity, if it comes to me getting targetted every round. they however, cannot hide their planets, hehe...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 3:26 am 
Gamer
Gamer

Max Griswald wrote:
again, I'm not scared of anyone in the game. if they want to "make an example" of me, so be it. I'll survive, and then they will have to deal with me. simple as that. I can always hide my identity, if it comes to me getting targetted every round. they however, cannot hide their planets, hehe...

Come on Max. The game is NOT made to annoy U or anybody else. The game got some settings/rules which are attended to make this game the best possible. If U disagree, U should come with some suggestion instead of being "Grumpy" all the time.

- "To be no. 12345 is okay, but whining is Big" ;)

http://www.aatraders.com/index.php?player_id=71

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 5:02 am 
Gamer
Gamer

big, why not actually read some of my posts (like the one replying to the notice about the reset? the post that TH decided to hijack THIS thread to reply to)

I make suggestions, and I give reasons. no one listens to me though. and I'm not "grumpy" all the time (infact, I am happy right now...I added another 140+ captures today on kitty matrix PLUS two kills...bringing me to 1155 captures, 394 built (added 23 built today also), and 10 kills. I'm first place for captures (infact I have a good amount more captures than any TEAM on the server), and first for kills (by 2x the #2 guy), and third for built planets (about half of the 2nd guy, who has 709). I'm also 3rd place for points, and gaining steadily on the #2 guy (namely cause I've taken about 400 of his planets the last two weeks, which kinda slows him down. which is what allowed my teammate to come from 40m points behind him and pass him yesterday). yesterday I was 30m points behind, today I am ~21m points behind. w00t!

so you see, I am in a VERY good mood. I just think that some people need to get a life (tarnus...) I mean, all I did was copy and paste something from a notepad document. what I pasted was relevant to a discussion he had brought up in this thread, and it was pertaining to a beta server which doesn't even get recognized on profiles. I think HE overreacted about me posting it. I mean, god, if anything, it gives locations for people to test the new attacking code, hehe...which is the entire point of this reset, according to PJ. so...where is there a problem?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next