It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:51 am

The forum is READ ONLY. Please direct any future discussions to our Facebook page

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: good/evil rank change? what happened?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:48 pm 
AA Trader
AA Trader

I was just wondering if something changed there. I was 3 people into neutral a few days ago, and there are only like 3 people actually good above me. A day or so ago I log in, now I am 3rd good player, with about 10 or 15 good players below me.
I only logged in a scrapped money, so I know trading didn't do it. Spys taking planets don't seem to affect the count, so what happened?

Post subject: Re: good/evil rank change? what happened?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:15 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You were prob close enough to the flip point that the good players above you managed to skew you into the good size as thier good amount probably dropped.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:45 am 
Developer
Developer

Your good and evil rating is also based upon everyone else in the game. The game compares your current rating to all the other players to determin how good or how evil you are. So if anotehr play makes a huge change in their good/evil rating it can affect you as well.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:03 pm 
AA Trader
AA Trader

wow, so if the top good player went netural or whatever, it pushed all the people under him that were neutral up to good?
Hardley seems fair.

Also doesn't seem to be a very good system. Doesn't it get screwed up after a while of play? That is, you have to reference it to some number, but now that number shifts due to the number of players above and below that number.

Since being attacked shifts your number, as well as attacking, at some point it would skew all the alignments regardless of playing strategy. Even no agressors due to being attacked would eventually shift good.

For instance Philly phire, R. hood is only a builder. As I recall, she was on the bottom of page one of good people before this radical shift. Now she is on page 2. She slowly works towards page 1 again as people attack her. I don't think building changes your alignment, but could be wrong. Just thought trading did.

Next, if you set to sort by alignment, the middle of the pack should be straight up newbies. People that just started playing. Yet it is not. Sure there are a couple of newer players, but I expect to see lower scores in that range.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:02 pm 
Developer
Developer

Do a search on good/evil or alignment. There is a post that explains it all.

Basically it is based off the societal norm. Kind of like how things we do today were fround upon as being bad many, many years ago. What is good and evil shifts with what the overall population thinks.

And the calculation isn't that complex but might confuse some people. :D

0 is where everyone starts and it changes based upon MANY things you do in the game. If the number goes negative you are tending towards evil. If it goes positive you are tending towards good. The top and bottom 25% of the people moving positive and negative will be the players who are considered good and evil. This doesn't come into effect until a players rating goes over a preset value.

Find the full description of how it work here in the forums.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:27 pm 
AA Warrior
AA Warrior

Makes sense to me. Vicious must be EXTREMELY evil to be the only one...

I think it would be nice to be able to see one's actual number.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:25 pm 
Developer
Developer

We used to show the number but it skewed peoples perceptions too much. Much better to hide those numbers and just give the Good/Neutral/Evil text.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:23 pm 
AA Trader
AA Trader

so, I am getting hammered being good. Apparently I pissed in visious's wheaties some where.
Anyway, since I cannot attack anyone, and all trading does is make me more good, what do you do to get more evil other than attacking?

BTW being on the other side of this coin makes me hate it even more then when I was on the attacking side.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:59 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Have you tried blowing planets? Attacking good players will do it as well, or even Sector missiling good players.

I'd trade ya places, no matter what I do I cant get out of my neutral setting.

We prob need to get some other ways to help skew yourself neutral. The plan is to have evil commodities that when you trade will skew you towards evil.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:14 pm 
Developer
Developer

Well, part of the problem is most players seem to have turned into builders and aren't attacking. If you just build then you are going to go good and be vulnerable to any player who attacks enough to be evil.

Remember it is a balancing act. You have to be both a builder and an attacker if you want to stay neutral.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:32 am 
AA Warrior
AA Warrior

Hey, that trading idea is cool! Like trading contraband...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:52 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think the code is already in place. Just gotta come up with the right commodities.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:58 pm 

Panama Jack wrote:
If you just build then you are going to go good and be vulnerable to any player who attacks enough to be evil.

Remember it is a balancing act. You have to be both a builder and an attacker if you want to stay neutral.

Actually, that sounds like a good thing for builders. I think I'd like to see the alignment effects of building intensified. Even as a builder it's just hard as heck not to go evil from destroying planets because the only planets I value are the ones I've built myself. I don't want someone elses garbage and if I take some of their planets as revenge I'd rather destroy them than keep them.

It seems to me that everyone moving toward "good" in the current game is driven by a force MUCH greater than the effects of building.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:03 pm 
AA Trader
AA Trader

I have never been accused of being a builder.
most of the change occurs as I war with someone. Your aligments become opposite.
So my first war was with hound dog I think. He was evil and it pushed me good.
I then went neutral for some reason as we continued to attack each other.

Now being skewed good, and being hammered by an evil character, I have no opportunity to turn neutral. If I attack back, it just makes me more good.

Not sure what the solution is, but trading evil goods, is probably not going to solve it.
Perhapes attacking should always be evil and trading always good. Or something like that.
Or you could have both trading types, but still attacking always skews you to evil.
As it is, anytime you fight over planets, you seem to go polar oposite to who you are fighting, and you can't get back unless you find someone else to fight, which isn't good if you are low man on the recieving end.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:27 pm 
Developer
Developer

Attacking has to be based upon the alignment of the players. Saying attacking is always evil would be wrong. That would be akin to saying the US attacking Japan after Pearl Harbor was evil. :)

Everyone starts out Neutral/Good and will always go good as long as they never attack anyone. The first person to attack another player in the game will start down the path to evil. Since most players in the game are good once players start attacking they start going evil.

Now we have Vicious in the current game. They are over 10 times more evil than the next closest evil person. The only way they could get that high is by targeting players on the good side or leaning toward good. That's pretty easy to do if you sort the rankings by good. They have apparently been targeting clearly good players and voiding those leaning toward evil.

Vicious is like the Emperor in Star Wars. He is very evil while others are just a tiny bit evil in comparison.

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next