It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:03 am

The forum is READ ONLY. Please direct any future discussions to our Facebook page

Page 6 of 6 [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Current Main Discussion around in game issues
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:39 pm 
Forum Roamer
Forum Roamer

Oh, wait, you were referring to the ship experience thing, right?

I'm a bit iffy on that, personally. I don't have any real combat experience in game, so I can't really say for sure, but I'm of the impression that as a solution to credit sharing we'd be running down a rabbit hole to start implementing something like that to solve credit sharing.
Sure, that's not all it's doing, but still.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:27 am 

You could always make it so that if a planet gets bombed((regardless of whether or not the planet was actually taken)), a random((or not)) portion of the colonists will flee the planet, taking some money with them. Though that doesn't much help the sharing as who colonizes a planet they are intentionally losing. If that's the case, the less colonists on a planet, the more likely you are to accidentally bomb their credit records.

If there is no one on the planet, it isn't too far-fetched to think that their bank and base are the same building.

peace,
CR

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:50 pm 
AA Trader
AA Trader

As an admin, you can increase the percentage of a planets value a ship must be worth to capture the planet or else it possibly blows up. I think this could give an admin more chance to see what some are up to. Not a permanent solution, just throwing it out there.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:24 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Maybe we need to look at this a little more realistically. If you went to battle and took over a city, you might not be able to find all the booty of that city right away. You would need to put in the time to try and find and manage the resources of the captured city. Even then, you may not find it all.

Granted this is all theoretical, but it would definitely take care of the quick credits issues.

Example:

I scan a planet there are billions of colonists and trillions of credits. So I attack it and win.

Now, as I land on the planet the resources that I initially find are a random percentage between 1 and 10% of the actual planet value. In order for me to get the full value of the planet, I need to base it, add dignitaries, feed the population and maintain it for a random amount of time.

The Dignitaries Job is to talk the taken over population into working with there new ruler so you can take advantage of the credits that were originally there.

Once at the end of that time, the planet is back to full capacity and I can claim the entire planet value.

This would fix the credit sharing, as really a player would lose 90-99% of the credits in a capture and take th credits scenario.

We wouldn't have to add anything to disable the ships so all the power would stay in place.

The only thing that would have to be turned off to make it fair would be to kill team credits or limit the amount of credits a player could take from a team planet.

At this point we could kill the team bounty as well. Sure you could do a planet drop, but the player who grabs it is going to have to be very patient. The IGB can still transfer the 100 bill at time so that leaves a way to take care of smaller amounts. If you were gonna pay a player off with a planet drop that player will just have to be patient or take a much smaller percentage of the credits he finds.

Note: This is just an idea, some will like it, some will hate it, but it has possibilities. If anyone would care to beat it down feel free to.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:07 am 

Its a very good idea. And it does solve a couple of the big issues. As for the team credits, they are an important part of the game. Especially if you are newer or a less skilled player on the team. But I do like the idea of a reduced amount of credits. Like with the IGB, you can get a loan based on a percentage of your value. That is a system that could be used for team planets. But base it off the planets over all credit limit. You then would need extremely large planets to do large credit transfers. Like the loan system you would have a 24 hr period of time placed on it, this case it would be before you can use the planet for credit transfer again. Large planets are expensive and take longer to produce max credits so that is a deterrent to have to many. To avoid it being used as an exploit by having 10 or so planets, you could limit team planets to 1-3 team planets per player.

That in the combination with the credit transfers(as tarnus just laid out), the escalating bounty effect and the removal of the build kill resolves the larger issues that we are seeing in the current game.

In addition to those changes, i still think there may be a need to evaluate the number of times you can join a team or rejoin a team.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:22 am 
AA Trader
AA Trader

Yeah Tarnus, it sounds pretty good to me, especially since I was thinking about something along those lines anyway. Even before all this was demonstrated in the main game, I was thinking about how I'd like to see the planets do more to protect themselves, eg., the Indies seemed to stupid in past, and didn't lay enough sd imo. Common Peejay, Bigger better AI. :P
As you guys know Tarnus, There is already a little something in place when trying to capture a planet with nothing else other than a huge sum of credits and the attacker is really small... But of course thats not enough because some will always try to find a way around things. But what I had said to myself is that I'd really like to see the colonists take more action and some more randomness in this area. It'd be realistic that if a planet was just dropped to give credits and had hardly no colos, goods, etc.. then its more than likely you will never win most of those credits after a victory. I mean not only is there not enough Peeps to manage all the money (Bankers :D), there is also always the possibilty that some of the colos fly off in an escape pod with some of the loot (Yay thieves).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:42 pm 
Forum Roamer
Forum Roamer

This might be naive, but when an attacker goes after planets they're after the money on them, right? Wouldn't this mean you'd have to take and hold someone's SG to get any benefit from it? No hit and run tactics but a drawn out conquest. Or is it already normal to wipe out an entire SG in one hit?

I think having a large amount of credits with a small population and little defenses would have a high chance of planet going indy (all this money and no-one to tell us what to do? Yay!). I don't know much about attacking (since I haven't done any yet :p) but it just seems a wee bit restricting. I like the idea of raiding a planet of credits if its left with poor defenses comparative to the amount of money on it, so I'm thinking up other ways of naturally discouraging leaving planets too undefended.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:56 pm 
Developer
Developer

I have to say that it would be a little more realistic. It should take a while for the conqueror to ferret out any money they planet had stored on it instead of the instant transfer.

It would mean if the attacks wanted the money they would have to stick around and defend the planet until they could find all of the cash.

It wouldn't remove the trash and burn attack where players just wanted to deprive another player of the resource. You would still see people attacking a planet and then blowing it to keep it away from the original owner.

BTW, if you did keep the planet your score would reflect the actual value of the planet, credits and all, even though you couldn't transfer the credits. This would prevent players from scamming the bounty system.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:20 pm 

Do It.

On another note, I would like to see the alignment either removed or restricted. It is another aspect of the game that is being overly exploited. If a top player is stupid enough to loose a planet to a much lower player they should even be penalized for failing to defend it properly.
Perhaps Tarnus' experience idea would fix this if the lower player can actually win 50% of the time. Even then the alignment , as it stands, is pretty useless.

Investigative Reporting of breaking news from the leading edge of a galaxy near you.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:33 pm 
Forum Roamer
Forum Roamer

POPULATION SWAYED!

"Your dignitary on planet balzaq has convinced 18% of the population to fight for your cause. They have added their hidden resources to the planets main supply."

I also like the idea of stored ships being a hidden resource of the planet, only revealed after 50% of the planets original value has been returned. I don't like the idea of have the planets full value added to your score but rather only it's value at any given moment. Simply because if you were in a persons base and attacking their planets you aren't becoming stronger, so they shouldn't suddenly become a bounty unless the simple loss of the planet is such a severe detriment to them that they become a bounty even without the attacker having the benefit of credits gained from that planet.

I do like the idea though.

...you're welcome.

Page 6 of 6 [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6