It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:24 am

The forum is READ ONLY. Please direct any future discussions to our Facebook page

Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Enchanced Genesis Torpedo
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:07 pm 
Developer
Developer

Skreyola wrote:
Well, I think you should probably be able to haul in supplies from 4 turns away to build the port in, say, 1200 turns. I mean, this is a big port we're talking about, so it should take a little while. Also, I don't imagine we want ports to be so big that a pioneer would take a week to haul in the materials to build it.

Well, it should take a long time to ferry what is needed to create a port if you are using a pioneer. :) It would give another purpose for the Super Cargo. You would use it to supply the needed items to build a port. That way you could supply enough in one trip if the super cargo is big enough.

And how long it would take to build wouldn't be based upon turns but realtime minutes. It would be similar to how the research and build functions work.

Each 15 minutes a certain amount of goods, ore, organics, energy, etc. would be used from what is stored on the port for building the port. If the goods run out before the port has finished building then the port stops building until more commodities are ferried to the port. Say it takes 2 hours to build a device port. That is 8 different times it will use commodities from what is stored to build the port. The port will have 8 different graphics showing the 8 stages of construction.

Plus the port will be owned by the person building it so they can control who uses it. After it is built the owner will probably be determined by who owns the sector. If the sector isn't owned by anyone then the original builder will own the port.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:28 pm 

That sounds perfect. Though what I was talking about in turns was how long it would take you to ferry the materials to the port. I took it for granted that the actual build would work the way you said. :)

As far as ownership, I think it would be cool if the port is owned, always and forever, by the person who built it, unless someone wants to attack it to destroy/capture it. It would make for some interesting diplomacy: I'll build planets and conquer the sector, and I won't let anyone use your port, unless you transfer 50000000 credits to me each week. Or, if the planet defense was enhanced to choose what is protected (whole sector, ports, ships, just defend the planet, etc.), people could set up protected areas around ports owned by players they feel friendly toward. Just a wild notion, that one.
But it could make some interesting situations as far as strategy surrounding who owns the port and who owns the sector.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:01 pm 
AA Warrior
AA Warrior

People should be able to build ports of different sizes. Smaller takes less time and hulls, but its all someone in a pio would need. Some people with like 400 hulls in their SC could build massively huge ports to make trading WAY more profitable and a bigger part of the game. I think that would be VERY cool, it just needs to be balanced and thought over.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:53 pm 

I think having different sizes available in ports would be a great idea. The more you want the port to be able to handle in trading volume, the more resources it takes to get it started.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:24 pm 
AA Warrior
AA Warrior

Exactly. I'd like to hear what the developers say.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:32 pm 
Developer
Developer

There will only bee one size port like there is currently in the game.

It's just that different ports will take different amounts of commodities and different build times.

Like an Upgrade port will take maybe 2 times longer to build than a goods port and a device port might take 1.5 times longer to build than an Upgrade port.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:33 pm 
AA Warrior
AA Warrior

That makes sense, but I still think allowing larger ports could make trading a more important part of the game. Anyway, will it take long to build a colonist port?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:50 pm 
Gamer
Gamer

How about allowing the owner to upgrade defenses on a port? It would in no way effect sector defense, but if someone wanted to build a port, they could make a port and defend it, so people couldn't take control of the port. The port defenses would be less expensive than ship upgrades, and probably have a +xx bonus also, so it wouldn't be too expensive and worthless to try and protect the port, but, the port would not be invulnerable.

What this does, is it allows players to build ports that can be used by other players, and possibley give the owner a tariff, or fee, from the person trading. Now, we'll say that the port has a certain default amount of commodities, but that they can be increased by the owner (Say the owner wants to pay 100b credits to have his colonist port make 10% more per tick, plus, if I want to drop colonists in the port, it would allow the port to hold more than the base maximum.) the owner could also set prices for commodities, perhaps within a range.

This would allow there to be PURE TRADERS in the game. They could operate trading ports, that could potentially be HUGE, but also supply a very good passive income.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:13 pm 

I'm all for options for players mainly interested in trading and accumulating wealth. I think it should be fairly easy (but not foolproof) to defend a port, and planets should have options for how diligently to guard a port in their sector. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:52 pm 
Developer
Developer

I think we are going to stay away from having to defend a port. It adds too much complexity to the game and the research and build will be adding enough.

Basically the builder will own the port unless someone owns the sector. You may have built the port but if someone comes in and takes over all of the planets and gains control of the sector then they own the port.

Now one way to get around that is to build ports in zero planet sectors. You will always own the port.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:10 am 

Would we get profits from the ports?

The Devil Ducky

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:07 am 
Developer
Developer

Right now... no. :)

You will just be able to control access. Otherwise people will be saying... "I built the device port so all of the devices should be free if I own it." That will never happen. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:58 am 

Will there be some ports that exist already when the game starts or will all of them have to be built by players?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:20 pm 
Developer
Developer

Everything will be just as it is in 0.30 but players will be allowed to build their own ports. When you create an SG sector it will nolonger automagically create a random port. You will have to build one if you want one there.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:52 pm 
AA Warrior
AA Warrior

I understand not wanting to add in port defense. Anyway, I think you should be able to choose port prices for your own ports with a minimum cost. You should have to pay to have your port automatically stocked as they are now, but then you should be able to determine how much of the profits from people using the port go to personal finances. And if you don't want your ports buying certain resources, or people to use your ports to sell them things (where you lose some money invested in the port) that should be up to you. I'm curious, is stuff like that going to be included? If not, I think it should be. Also, if you make the thing the minimum amount of money, you should make no money from people trading at the port, but you should be able to get your devices and stuff for cheap. I think that there should be no personal discounts though. Finally, will personal device ports sell novas? I think they should, but it should cost extra to make it so that they can when you're building them. I mean, they are controlled by the player rather than the Feds...

Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next