It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:58 am

The forum is READ ONLY. Please direct any future discussions to our Facebook page

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Language Chat/Shoutboxes
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:17 pm 
Gamer
Gamer

Today, people were asking a group of French players to speak english, although, what do you expect? It is a game known around the world.

So, I propose an idea, why not make separate shout boxes for each language and make a general one where everyone can talk.

Post subject: Re: Language Chat/Shoutboxes
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:47 pm 
Developer
Developer

No, not going to happen. People will have to stop being so thin skinned about language. :p Just open another window to a free translation site, cut the line from the shoutbox and paste it into the translator if you want to know what they said.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:09 am 
AA Warrior
AA Warrior

Why such a definite no? It's not that bad an idea...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:00 am 
Gamer
Gamer

Valience wrote:
Why such a definite no? It's not that bad an idea...

Gee whiz! Folks.... I am always amazed when some issue like this comes up..... and why it concerns folks is beyond me...
Bad Ideas always start out as, "It's not a bad Idea"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:21 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That or maybe there is some ajax or javascript app that can got out and translate it by right clicking on it... I know I know a pain in the butt but it is a dream :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:53 pm 
AA Warrior
AA Warrior

Why shouldn't I say it is not a bad idea if I belive that it isn't? And that wasn't how it started out. Perhaps PJ is of the opinion that more shout boxes would be too much work to program or something, I don't know, but it seems like you could pretty much copy and paste the code, and then just make a few small adjustments. It doesn't take any crazy translator like Walrus was saying, just a sepparate shout box.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:38 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

No I dont like the idea of a separate shout box... you start creating clutter. The idea of an auto translator would be a better choice. Afterall the future is less clutter, not more ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:39 am 
Gamer
Gamer

Valience wrote:
Why shouldn't I say it is not a bad idea if I belive that it isn't? And that wasn't how it started out. Perhaps PJ is of the opinion that more shout boxes would be too much work to program or something, I don't know, but it seems like you could pretty much copy and paste the code, and then just make a few small adjustments. It doesn't take any crazy translator like Walrus was saying, just a sepparate shout box.

I apologize, The Idea was born out of the negativity and bad attitudes on the part of others and is reactionary on an emotional level. This is the reason it should not be acted on. The Term "bad Idea" was a shortcut (and an imediate counter for "good Idea") and my intellectual laziness.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:22 am 
AA Warrior
AA Warrior

Lucky Starr wrote:
Valience wrote:

I apologize, The Idea was born out of the negativity and bad attitudes on the part of others and is reactionary on an emotional level. This is the reason it should not be acted on. The Term "bad Idea" was a shortcut (and an imediate counter for "good Idea") and my intellectual laziness.

Simply because the origins of an idea are negative doesn't make it a bad idea. Look at nuclear technology. It was first used extremely destructively, but now its one of if not the cheapest sources of electricity and produces no air pollution whatsoever. "reactionary on an emotional level"... Yes, its a natural reaction. It annoys people, so their reaction is to think of a way in which the annoyance is either ended or diverted. In this case its diverting it to another shout box. But if Wally thinks it'd be too cluttered, then thats fine with me, but I don't see the little translator thing happening. Even if you could put in a translation for every word you can think of somebody saying in another language (and you've have to do it in more than just French), it wouldn't be enough. Words' meanings change in context, and so you'd have to be able to translate entire sentences, and on top of that you'd have to be able to find a way to figure out what they're trying to say when the spell stuff wrong, sort of like what Microsoft Word does, but for other languages. That would take an UNBELIEVEABLE about of work. Maybe some company will do something like that one day, but they'll probably charge everyone a lot to use it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
It annoys people, so their reaction is to think of a way in which the annoyance is either ended or diverted. In this case its diverting it to another shout box. But if Wally thinks it'd be too cluttered, then thats fine with me, but I don't see the little translator thing happening. Even if you could put in a translation for every word you can think of somebody saying in another language (and you've have to do it in more than just French), it wouldn't be enough. Words' meanings change in context, and so you'd have to be able to translate entire sentences, and on top of that you'd have to be able to find a way to figure out what they're trying to say when the spell stuff wrong, sort of like what Microsoft Word does, but for other languages. That would take an UNBELIEVEABLE about of work. Maybe some company will do something like that one day, but they'll probably charge everyone a lot to use it.

Note I wasnt talking about writing our own, I was referring to a web app that would tie into say google and return data from their translators...believe me, I am all about not reinventing the wheel.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:38 pm 
Developer
Developer

Having multiple shoutboxes is not practical and downright silly. It is just not going to happen. If a player is annoyed that someone is speaking a different language then they shouldn't be using the internet. Period.

If you read the posts about this, the people complaining just don't want to SEE a different language which has some seriously BAD connotations. In otherwords, it is different and they want it to go way.

Deal with the fact there are people from different countries with different languages playing the game. If a player can't deal with it in a mature manner then maybe they need to think about moving to a different game.

This game is played by people all over the world and not everyone speaks or writes english and to expect them to in this type of game is nonsense.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:04 pm 
Gamer
Gamer

I would like to state that even though this was an idea, I do not mind having a multilingual shout box. I just disapprove of people telling those speaking in another language to speak english and I thought this could be a solution.

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ]