It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:40 pm

The forum is READ ONLY. Please direct any future discussions to our Facebook page

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Change To Team Score
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:31 pm 
AA Trader
AA Trader

Right now team score is kind of meaningless, its just the sum of the players scores that are in the team. What I was thinking is instead having the team score based off of only the planets of the players that are actually set up as team planets and possibly the players ships although I am not sure if it would be better to include ships or not. I just think the team score should mean something more then the sum of its players. And I think there are a lot of things a real team score could lead to in the future. Perhaps team based research and build items for example? And who knows what else. Specific researchable items could only be available to teams who satisfy various requirements. ie. certain number of team planets split equally amongst its members? I think these sorts of things equate to team building activities; and that may also result in more players staying because they are teaming up; making friends; and learning faster.

Post subject: Re: Change To Team Score
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:28 pm 
AA Warrior
AA Warrior

Well I certainly don't think that anything should require a team, since, while a lot harder, there is nothing wrong with being a loner. And that'd be completely unrealistic too, since you don't have to have a certain number of allies or something to research certain things... But what I do think should be done is team score should say what the score of a player with the combined net worth of the entire team would be. As it is, if a team wants to increase their score, all they have to do is donate to one of their smaller players. Because smaller players get more score for less wealth, their score is more important. Like this, it would be lower than their combined scores, but it would be a MUCH more accurate measure of a team's power. That way, you could compare team scores the exact same way you compare personal scores. As it is, a team could have more net worth than another, but if its wealth is distributed among its players differently, it could have a lower score.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:25 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Interesting ideas. Maybe what might be interesting is the team score is an avg of all the players on that teams score with one twist. A players Team score is based on the % of planets they have teamed. So if that player has say 5 mill point score and you had 50 planets but only 25 were teamed then that players team score would be 2.5 mill.

But I do agree that there should be bonus score points based on good team work. Weather it be building planets together, helping each other in a battle etc. I do like the idea of rewarding good teams with bonus points of some kind.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:46 pm 
AA Trader
AA Trader

Of course there's nothing wrong with playing by yourself; in all honestly I play without a team something like 90% of the time. Still though I think teams, or more importantly teams that are actually working together instead of working as solo players should get some sort of advantage. You can look at it a different way; lets say you need 4 components to create a single item; each member of a team could research one and combine them together so that all four can build it instead of one player having to research all four things then build it. But that's something further off; the first thing to do would be to update the team score somehow to be more reflective of the team itself; from there who knows what it could become.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:29 pm 
AA Warrior
AA Warrior

Well first, adding points to a team's score for good team work wouldn't really be a reward, since team score does absolutely nothing. Second, averaging the player scores will have the same problem I already explained that we've got right now. Third, working together as a team is very productive. The team shouldn't need extra incentive, not that anything that's been listed really is extra incentive. Also, score should be determined by net worth, NOT by planet numbers. If a player has 50 planets with 7T on 25 and .3T on 25, and the .3T planets are teamed, the team shouldn't get half that player's score. Net worth is what should be accounted for. If you wanted to do a team score that way, which I agree isn't a bad idea, you should take the total number of colonists on team planets, multiply it by 5 (cost per colonist), add to it the total ore on each planet, multiplied by the stand cost of ore, and then goods, and then organics, and then fighters, and then torps, all mulitplied by their respective costs. Then you should add in the costs of the total upgrades for planetary tech levels. Finally, you should add the total credits on the teamed planets. This should be the input variable for whatever the score function is. Also, people often use their ships as tools to aid their teams. This should somehow be accounted for (ie, counting some percent of the ship's total worth toward the team). Honestly, though, I still think my idea of keeping it simple is best, just cause it shows which team is strongest, with the strongest players, and without any score bias (ie, if a team has all its wealth in one player, that team's score won't be as good as a team with equal, well distributed wealth. This doesn't exist in my idea). Teams shouldn't need more score bonuses as a reason to help each other out, since working together is already more profitable, and therefore better for their collective score.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]