It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:17 am

The forum is READ ONLY. Please direct any future discussions to our Facebook page

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Pointing out the obvious...
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:20 pm 
AA Warrior
AA Warrior

10B worth of planetary shields require nearly 1T beams to break. Doesn't quite seem fair...

Post subject: Re: Pointing out the obvious...
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:23 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

What levels are you talking about? Actually I think its totally fair that a planet can have bigger shields, afterall it IS a planet. Besides, you have the option to use a nova on the planet where as what does the planet have to defend against a nova with?

Don't forget, not all your energy goes towards your beams, you have shields to power with your energy as well.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:56 pm 
AA Warrior
AA Warrior

Well most of the time the planet has enough energy for a few hundred attacks, which I don't care to carry out. Novas are a good option later in the game, but are impractical early. 10B shields gets you about 260, which is 280 ship tech, and requires about 295 to break at least. And I'm really not of the opinion that novas should always be necessary.

When it comes down to it, there's just about no planet that cannot be taken with novas, and there are few planets (assuming the builder has invested much in them) that don't require novas. I'd just like to see the game move away from them. I don't have much of a suggestion to change this in a balanced way, so I can't expect you to do anything, but I'm just pointing this out anyway.

Oh, and the planet would have to shield a HUGE area. It should cost way more for the same shields per square meter for example, since they're so much more dissipated. As it is, it doesn't make sense, but it is balanced. :P

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:10 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well it keeps a little player like you from taking their planet. They spent the money on the shields so desever the better protection. :) The way I look at it, if your out taking their planets they have every right to keep you from taking them and if they choose to spend the money on shields then so be it ;)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:18 pm 
AA Warrior
AA Warrior

But they don't have to spend the money!!! That's the point! It's litterally about 100 times cheaper for them!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:25 pm 
Developer
Developer

Valience wrote:
Oh, and the planet would have to shield a HUGE area. It should cost way more for the same shields per square meter for example, since they're so much more dissipated. As it is, it doesn't make sense, but it is balanced. :P

Well, planetary shields do use 10 times the energy to shield the planet than a ship.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:03 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Valience wrote:
But they don't have to spend the money!!! That's the point! It's litterally about 100 times cheaper for them!

Its all about balance. Do you really think we didn't think it through.. The only reason you dont like it because it slows you down. Thats THE only reason. Now were that planet yours and you were sleeping on it you would appreciate it more.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:03 pm 
Gamer
Gamer

I have been daydreaming about how to Zap a planet of all of its energy.... I dont know if it will work yet, but it is fun to think about: attack Sector defenses with a Pioneer, Die, buy another Escape Pod, attack again... In my day dream this depletes the sectors Energy with each attack......Im building up my attack Fund to try this out soon..... Most of my ideas do not work.... but a few do......

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:07 pm 
AA Warrior
AA Warrior

I think my artificially induced energy storm idea would be a remedy for the attacker's reliance upon novas. That was what I was trying to move toward.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]