It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:27 pm

The forum is READ ONLY. Please direct any future discussions to our Facebook page

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sector Defense Attack Change...
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:48 pm 
Developer
Developer

We have changed energy usage for sector defense fighters because of the Pioneer sector defense exploit. The amount of energy used by the fighters is now dependent upon the number of sector fighters destroyed in the attack. The destroyed sector defense fighters will use the FULL amount of energy.

So, if 500,000 fighters are destroyed in an A&R they will use 1.25 million units of energy. If there are 500,000 fighters destroyed in a normal attack then 2.5 million units of energy are used.

The sector defense fighters NOT destroyed will use 1% of the amount needed by sector defense fighters or 0.025 instead of 2.5 units of energy per fighter. So if there are 500,000 fighters NOT destroyed they will use 12,500 units of energy.

There is also attack blow-back. This is where fighters get destroyed by debris flying from the ship and friendly fire.

If you have 100 million sector defense fighters left after an attack then a random number from 1 to 100 million is picked for the number of sector defense fighters destroyed by blow-back. If that number is less than 10% of the sector defense fighters left then those sector defense fighters die. If the number is higher than 10% then ZERO sector defense fighters die. Most of the time there will be no blow-back deaths. This means attacking SD with a Pioneer will do almost nothing.

Example #1:

100,000,000 SD Fighters
300,000 Random number picked between 0 and 100,000,000
1,000,000 is the 10% limit
-----------------------------
300,000 SD Fighters were destroyed by attack blow-back.

Example #2:

100,000,000 SD Fighters
3,000,000 Random number picked between 0 and 100,000,000
1,000,000 is the 10% limit
-----------------------------
0 SD Fighters were destroyed by attack blow-back.

Most of the time there will be no fighters destroyed by blow-back. Fighters destroyed by blow_back will use the full amount of energy and not the 1% amount.

This should fix the exploit where small ships remove all of a planets energy. You now have to actually destroy the SD Fighters to remove large amounts of energy from the planet.

Post subject: Re: Sector Defense Attack Change...
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:17 am 
AA Trader
AA Trader

This blow-back thing needs to be re-thought. Something is just wrong with a Pio being able to rip into up to 10% of a sector defenses.

FNN News: And in other news today - PlayerX now holds the world record for SD destroyed while using a Pioneer. 100,000,000 fighters were destoryed by only using 3,500 of his own fighters. From all of us here at FNN we congratulate you on your elite mad skillz.

:???:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:35 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kwae Zar wrote:
This blow-back thing needs to be re-thought. Something is just wrong with a Pio being able to rip into up to 10% of a sector defenses.

FNN News: And in other news today - PlayerX now holds the world record for SD destroyed while using a Pioneer. 100,000,000 fighters were destoryed by only using 3,500 of his own fighters. From all of us here at FNN we congratulate you on your elite mad skillz.

We have actually discussed that. There will be adjustments based on ship size as well. It doesn't make sense that a pio could cause that kind of blow back when it explodes.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:40 am 

Kwae Zar wrote:

What, you don't think an elite corps of fighter pilots could be bought for 50 credits each that would be able to have a kill ratio of 28,500 to 1? :o

(Yeah, that'd be difficult. It's probably a lot more likely that there are only 5 or so of those pilots that are really good, and the rest are cannon fodder. But those 5 really REALLY good pilots could still chalk up a kill ratio of 20,000,000 to 1, couldn't they? :lol: )

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:44 am 
AA Trader
AA Trader

Tarnus wrote:
We have actually discussed that. There will be adjustments based on ship size as well. It doesn't make sense that a pio could cause that kind of blow back when it explodes.

Dangit Tarnus - I was preparing a rousing argument during my drive into work... and then you go and defuse the whole thing. =P

Perhaps, blow back damage can never be more than the sum of armor, hull size, torps, fighters, energy, and armor?
So if a catastropic defeat does occur the "blow back" will be equal to all the ship components as they are converted into flying sharpnel.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:47 pm 
Developer
Developer

One thing I didn't mention is that the blow-back damage has been in there for a long time. :) It's nothing new but it was never mentioned.

Another thing to remember, these fighters are not manned by people. They are all automated, unmanned fighters with just enough intelligence to say, "Oh a target! KILL! KILL! KILL!". They are basically stupid fire/drop and forget weapons that rely on numbers to get their kills. Since they aren't too smart they all try to get shots in and can shoot friendlies as well as the enemy because all that matters is killing the target.

Also, the change of it happening are SMALL as in less than a 10% chance it might happen.

Imagine a mob of people in the stands at a Euro Soccer game that gets mad at losing and start to fight because one person shouted something insulting about their team. They go insane and a lot of people get seriously hurt in the melee. That's kind of what you have with so many fighters. Or even better a pack of starving wolves see a small gopher and in their attempt to get the gopher they hurt or kill others in the pack.

This is why the tech levels just mean MORE fighters and not SMARTER fighters. You try to compensate for the fighters stupidity with shear numbers.

BTW, this is something we plan on changing in the future where the tech levels mean a smarter, more powerful fighter instead of more fighters.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:26 pm 
AA Warrior
AA Warrior

I thought this was the future! We've ALREADY got smarter computers than that... but they go backwards. :P

I am very happy to hear about this. It's an important change because it would have been a nasty exploit.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:40 am 

Thanks for implementing this change, PJ! 8)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:13 pm 
AA Warrior
AA Warrior

Hey, I just thought I'd ask about this:

Since passive SD kills were taken away so that people couldn't lower a person's average KE by doing pio suicides and now there's no reason to do pio suicides, why not reallow the passive kills? I mean, you can still get kills when a person attacks your planet...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:16 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Valience wrote:
Hey, I just thought I'd ask about this:

Since passive SD kills were taken away so that people couldn't lower a person's average KE by doing pio suicides and now there's no reason to do pio suicides, why not reallow the passive kills? I mean, you can still get kills when a person attacks your planet...

But thats not a real kill? A real kill is defined by you pulling the trigger. By definition, I shouldn't get a kill when someone attacks my SD or planet.

Kills reflect an aggressive attacker, now if there was a passive kill column that would be a different story. Then they could count, but passive kills do not define a persons aggression levels.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:50 am 
AA Warrior
AA Warrior

Ok... well then why not make kills against planets not count either? 'Cause they do. Or they did at the beginning of the round anyway.

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ]