It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 8:39 am

The forum is READ ONLY. Please direct any future discussions to our Facebook page

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: New Attack Item...
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 7:26 am 
Developer
Developer

There is now a new selection when you run into a sector with sector defense fighters. It is called Attack and Run.

This new option allows you to possibly attack overwhelming sector defense fighters and run away. Slowly whittling them down. But there are several catches to how this works. It is basically where you ship drops in and fires off all fighters and torps and then leaves back to the sector it started.

1. Your cloak may prevent the planets in the sector from detecting your ship so the enemy fighters may not be able to attack your ship at all.

2. Your engines affect how many enemy fighters can catch you if the planets sense your ship. The higher your engines are over the planets fighter bay tech the faster you can get away and the fewer fighters can attack you. The lower the more sector fighters can attack.

3. There is remote chance (about 1%) the fighters can swarm your ship preventing you from leaving and destroying you.

4. The number of sector fighters in a sector doesn't affect how much damage you will take. a sector with 20 million fighters can't do any more damage to an Attack and Run than 200k fighters.

This is mainly used for trying to whittle down massive sector defense. It can be very, very costly to do so be careful. The settings for this are still preliminary and will be adjusted over the next few days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 9:08 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

And believe me it is dangerous. I just lost my razor trying...But I knocked 2 mill SD down to around 800K So it is handy but extremely painful if you get a bad roll :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:09 pm 
Developer
Developer

There will be a few more changes to that code to add in some scaling so when the amount of fighters gets close to the number you CAN carry or lower than the number you CAN carry your ability to do damage to them goes down. So doing a normal attack ends up being preferable.

And if people who are playing the beta can go the extra mile for me I would appreciate it.

When you do an attack and run on sector defenses could you post a message telling how many armor points you lost, how many you started with, number of fighters you carried and number of sector d fighters you attacked. Also, check your ship report and list any tech levels that were damaged and how many levels they lost if any.

Just report what happened a couple of times for me so I can get an idea of what happened for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:51 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Keith54 wrote:
Mongo just did 9 succesfull "attack and run" hits on sector defenses on my home sector...

He had level 15 cloak vs. level 17 (15 raw) sensors on main planet.

've asked him to report his attack results here.

Keith, I did more than that safely in the last beta without getting damaged. Also I did take damage many a times, just didn't get the unlucky killer damage till I was hitting Saykors sector. His sector is where I took the beating.

But you must understand, attack and run is designed to let an opponent slowly beat down sector D. It might work and it might not. And the cost to your ship could be in serious repairs or getting it destroyed. I was attacking a sector that had high sensors and 2 mill fighters. How many fighters are we talking about that he busted through?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:06 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Keith54 wrote:
Well right now we are not talking about millions, LOL.

He was attacking with a Pioneer or Columbus and I had 42 K fighters if I remember correctly.

His ship was damaged several times from what he tells me and he certainly feels that the planets were not worth it, lol.

Again, I'm not complaining, just trying to get a feel as to how things work.

Am I correct in assuming that he was succesfull because the fighter bay tech on my planet(s) was not high enough?, the sensors were certainly high enough...

From what the main article PJ wrote about it, probably yes. So he probably walked in with about 9 attacks with very little effort.

How come your always the one everyone picks on ;) must be that high score ya have :)

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]