It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:29 pm

The forum is READ ONLY. Please direct any future discussions to our Facebook page

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Why haven't we reset the game yet?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:55 pm 
Developer
Developer

First off, to everyone who has been bitching, moaning and whining :baby: to Tarnus and in the game shoutbox stop it, now, or something bad might happen to you. :slap: I am definately not as nice as Tarnus. :evil: :ban:

Now to why we haven't reset.

A little over a week ago Tarnus and I were talking over lunch about how we should probably do a reset with a version of the game without the module support that I have been having problems coding. We both though it would be a great idea and allow people to try some of the new things the game has had added over the past year. I thought, at the time, that it would be a fairly easy matter to strip out all of the module code and revert back to some of the old code. Honestly I need to have someone slap me :thwak: for thinking that way. What with the amount of time I have been working on this new version I had forgotten how sweeping the changes were to the game code. Yes, I am getting senile in my old age. :nag:

I now have three different versions of the game and trying to hammer one of them into something that can actually be playable in some minor way. One is an old 0.21 that has some features hacked into it but is missing a ton of the really nice things. The second is a hybrid of the new module code with some of the old non-module class code. In otherwords a hugely gross hack that may end up being the one everyone plays. The third version is the 100% module version that has serious problems with the modules when it comes to all of the different forms of combat.

For the past week I have been working until 3 and 4 am trying to get something that will be workable. What I thought would be easy turned into a nightmare full of frustration. :flame: I am getting CLOSE on the second version mentioned above and I will reset the main game as soon as I have this hacked mess running the way it should be running.

Plus these past two to three weeks have been a complete disaster when it comes to real life. Tarnus knows about some of them and they have had me twisted in knots. So you can imagine how stressfull this has been lately.

Now you roll all this up together with the people whining :baby: , bitching and moaning in the games shoutbox, at Tarnus through pms/ims/whatever and in their blogs and you get one Panama Jack who wants to erase the new game completely.

I greatly appreciate everyone who has voiced their support for us and our game. Those of you who have stood behind us and supported us through everything will enjoy the rewards of our efforts. We do this because we enjoy the game and enjoy seeing people have fun with our creation. We thank you. :cheers:

It is the whiners :baby: who think just because we offer a FREE game on our own servers that we OWE them something. Those people we can do without and I don't care if I piss them off and they leave. They are better off gone because it makes everything better for the rest of the community. :stab:

Bottom line...

The game is FREE.

We offer a server to play the game on for FREE.

We offer blogs for FREE.

We offer a stat tracking server with profiles for FREE.

There are only two of us working on the game. Tarnus has too many irons in the fire in real life when it comes to programming to be able to work on the game. I have completely rewritten almost all of the game from the ground up and Tarnus would have to spend a very long time learning the new game code so it is easier at this time for one person to work on it. So because of that we can MISS dates that we set for things. We are not a company devoted to creating games for a living. So give us a freaking break.

We give all this for FREE and don't really ask for much in return. Those of you complaining and whining :baby: about the situation should be completely ashamed of yourselves.

I am hoping to be able to reset the game sometime this week. I am not going to give a date or time for when this week because it will give the complainers something more to complain about.

And no... I am not a nice person right now. :domotwak:

Last edited by Panama Jack on Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:28 pm 
Panama Jack wrote:
We give all this for FREE and don't really ask for much in return.

As another author that goes through similar pains, I agree 100%.

Folks, this is a hobby. We program because it is fun, and it is fun because the users enjoy playing the game.

Change the equation, and you'll lose the programmers making the games. Its that simple.

Dates are the bane of opensource programmers. They mean nothing, take nothing into account, and give users an excuse to complain.

PJ, Tarnus, despite our differences, if there is anything I can do to help, don't hesitate to ask. I know what its like to get fed up, and no one programming games deserves to get there. Especially not two guys that genuinely care about the game and the players as you do.

I'm here, and I'm not the only one. Relax, focus on good programming, and reset when you can. The (worthwhile) players will wait.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:07 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Guess someone forgot to look at the rankings before thier post ;) TD get out the big boots ya got a long climb ahead ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:42 pm 
AA Mega-Trader
AA Mega-Trader

PJ, when it happens, it happens. I for one appreciate all the work both you and Tarnus put in to this game. :D

For the players that complain, a little more of a wait for better code is much more worthwhile than code with major problems that means the game has to keep reseting.

Help me please someone????
I am trying to install tetex on a Suse 9 Server. If there are any 'experts' that can help, PM me please.
Thanks

Post subject: Well Done!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:35 am 

Good work Tarnus and PJ. Thank you very much.

That mumbling-grumbling mambo-jumbos :razz: ignore them.

Carry on the good job. My salute to you both. I really enjoy the game.Always have fun.

Attaboy!

Cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:28 pm 

Well, as a player since mid April 2003 I can honestly state that I have ZERO complaints about this game (and the other versions offered from time to time).
PJ and Tarnus should have statues erected in their honor for their endless work and tweaking that have made this game the great thing it is!
The whiners need to go out and feed the ducks or something! (better yet, I think I`ll hunt them down in the game for a few laughs)

--- Nathaniel Flint, Malevolence Incarnate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:24 pm 

I really don`t remember complaining. If I did, it might be about the game ending so soon.(got used to that 70+ week game that ended so tragically in May)
That said, I believe I stated in another forum topic or in the chat with PJ and Tarnus that I was eagerly awaiting the new game version with all the changes/improvements that were mentioned.

I don`t mind waiting for the bugs to be shaken out if it means a better game.

Post subject: Re: Why haven't we reset the game yet?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:25 pm 
AA Trader
AA Trader

Panama Jack wrote:
i am definitely not as nice as tarnus

you shouldn't of mentioned it, i dont think anyone would of noticed. :D

but seriously, i cant believe anyone thinks u guys owe them something. if anything, they should be sendin u some kind of donation no matter how small... to show they care. speaking of that, i will to, even though i havent been able to play and am low on $$. :???: ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:05 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thankya A-Blitz! Its my Bday today and I asked PJ if he could guess what I wanted for my BDAY.... I said I want a new version of aatrade to play :evil: .... he said...guess what... your bday present is gonna be delayed :( I always get belated gifts. :(

Good luck PJ! :)

Post subject: belated
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:13 pm 
Trial
Trial

belated happy bday.. another year older and deeper in debt.. :)

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]