It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 6:04 am

The forum is READ ONLY. Please direct any future discussions to our Facebook page

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Debris Language Help Needed...
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:17 am 
Developer
Developer

The Debris Module system is pretty much locked in at this point with no futher changes expected in the coding. What we need right now is for someone out there to translate about 30 lines of text in Estonian, French, Russian and Spanish. The German and Italian debris language is complete. If you want to help translate for one of the above languages it shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes of work.

You can download the file from this link...

http://junk.aatraders.com/debris_modules.zip

This contains all of the current debris class files. Inside them you will find something like this...

// fill language variables
   function ship_credits()
   {
      global $langdir;
      switch ($langdir)
      {
         case "estonian":
            $this->l_debris_addcredits = "You have stumbled upon a hidden pirate credit bank and it contained [amount] credits.";
         break;

case "french":
            $this->l_debris_addcredits = "You have stumbled upon a hidden pirate credit bank and it contained [amount] credits.";
         break;

case "german":
            $this->l_debris_addcredits = "Sie sind zufällig auf ein Piraten-Konto auf der Bank gestossen, welches Ihnen [amount] Credits einbringt.";
         break;

case "italian":
            $this->l_debris_addcredits = "Ti sei imbattuto in una banca pirata segreta contenente [amount] crediti.";
         break;

case "russian":
         break;

case "spanish":
         break;

default:
         break;
      }
   }

If you want to translate the Spanish language you would find case "spanish": and edit the $this->l_debris_addcredits = "You have stumbled upon a hidden pirate credit bank and it contained [amount] credits."; line with the spanish translation. Edit each of the class files and then you can send the file to me as an attachment through a PM in the forums. Any help will be appreciated. As soon as any translations come in we will add them to current game. We look forward to any help. :D

Be sure to check my blog later today. I will be giving some detailed information on how to create new debris for the game. Maybe someone can come up with something new and interesting to add to the game. ;)

Last edited by Panama Jack on Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:37 am 
AA Trader
AA Trader

http://www.freetranslation.com/

If you don't get any native speaking takers you could run the text through the above translation service. It gets pretty close...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:38 am 
Developer
Developer

I may have to if I don't get any one to help. Those online translation program have bad habit of returning something that would sound horrible in the native tongue.

Here is an example.

Italian:

Sei incappato in una trappola costituita da una Bomba Nova, che esplode e danneggia gravemente la tua nave. tutti i tuoi potenziamenti sono azzerati, ma la tua nave è ancora integra.

Translation to English:

You are run in a trap constituted from a Bomb Nova, that explodes and damages seriously your ship. all the your developments are azzerati, but your ship is still whole.

English version:

You have come upon a booby trapped Nova Bomb. Your ship suffers massive damage as all of your ships tech levels are stripped away but your ships survives.

See what I mean? It would just read awful if a free translation program was used.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:30 am 
AA Trader
AA Trader

Yeah - you have to be really careful and use generic universal terms.

But, I agree, the best way to do it is native speaking translations. I was just trying to give ya a back up plan. :cool:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:16 pm 
Developer
Developer

I would like to thank IreaRehia for stepping up and providing the French translation for the Debris. If you are using the French language you should see French instead of English on all selected debris.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]