It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 12:50 pm

The forum is READ ONLY. Please direct any future discussions to our Facebook page

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: Profiles got an unintended purge
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:03 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well folks, we had a major dbase crash this morning, so if you find your profile and blogs a bit smaller or your profile missing please add your self again. Due to the evil powers that be our Datbase corupted on us, and backups were screwed as well... we have restored to the best version we have and are now in the process of setting multiple reduntant backups. Onsite and offsite. We appologize for any inconvience this might have caused.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:58 pm 
AA Trader
AA Trader

Is there any chance we can get the A & R info that PJ had in his blog put backup (either in the FAQ, forum or in a blog).

It was priceless insight into the way that the game works and should be captured in some permanent form.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:23 pm 
Developer
Developer

I think Tarnus copied it to the Wiki.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:23 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kwae Zar wrote:
Is there any chance we can get the A & R info that PJ had in his blog put backup (either in the FAQ, forum or in a blog).

It was priceless insight into the way that the game works and should be captured in some permanent form.

You don't think I'd let that one get away do ya ;) I added it into my chnagelog. you can access it via the game in the command drop down or you can go here: http://www.aatraders.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=change_log

The A&R is here: http://www.aatraders.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=change_log#attack_and_run_revisited

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:31 pm 
Developer
Developer

Well, we thought we had backups working for everything but at some point shortly after we installed the new server they stopped or were corrupted. What really ticks me off is we only lost the data for the databases that were using InnoDB storage under Mysql. We rebooted the server and it apparently crashed during the reboot and Mysql deleted and reset the ib_data file. :P So much for the most secure and reliable database format being InnoDB. After we restored everything we could the InnoDB databases were converted back to MyIsam.

So I spent all day trying to recover things and setting up a redundant backup system and making sure it all definitely works.

We now have a nightly backup of ALL databases that happens at midnight every night.

I have also written a backup program that sends compressed, date stamped backup files to an offsite server right after that. The offsite backup will contain a backup of all databases for every single day. So we can restore for any day if we need to.

I will also be checking these backups every week to make sure they don't suddenly stop on us or become corrupted like happened this time. I have even added a schedule to my computer here at home to do a weekly download of the latest backup.

I am damned tired of this happening and I am going to damned well make sure this NEVER happens to us again. So at the most we will lose only 24 hours or less of data.

We would like to apologise to everyone for the problem. You have no idea how pissed off we are about this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:11 pm 
Gamer
Gamer

so...I'm going to assume that all of my blogs are going to be gone forever? including the attacking blog and the building blog that I spent 4-8 hours each on? well...that makes me very confident...

in addition, my newer games are missing from my profile...which, kinda irrites me, seeing as thats ALL I'VE BEEN WORKING ON FOR THE LAST FOUR MONTHS! trying to get my profile games to have good stats. such as the last reset on kitty, 2nd place, 11 kills, 1200-ish captures, ~600 built. I mean...damn...thats just very...annoying...

infact, I am nearly speechless right now, and almost in tears...again, it seems that all the work I ever do on this game gets screwed by either an ingame bug/glitch, or some poor site administration.

oh well...I needed a break from this place anyway...not even sure why I even tried to come back...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:34 pm 
AA Trader
AA Trader

Panama Jack wrote:
We now have a nightly backup of ALL databases that happens at midnight every night. I have also written a backup program that sends compressed, date stamped backup files to an offsite server right after that.

As a Dev/Test/Production HP-UX admin I approve this message. :cool:

We have daily incr. with weekly fulls.

The weekly fulls are actually sent 200 miles inland (never know when the Seattle area is gonna get hit by a Tsunami or a Volcano!). The fulls are retained for 1 year. And the daily incr. are retained onsite for 90 days.

PLUS! We use packages and Virtual Machines - which means you can get a full restore pretty easily if something goes legs up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:05 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Max, we all lost alot and were not happy about it. It takes time, energy and "MONEY" to keep a site up and running.... the site runs on bandwidth that I pay for out of my companies pocket. While I know everyone is as frustrated as we are over losing a years worth of data no one was more irritated about it than PJ. Hence his need to make sure we don't have it happen again. As PJ said the inodb was supposed to be the best db type and enable us to do an easy recovery from a crash... course that didnt happen. So now we have some serious backups set in motion so we shouldnt have this happen again. I'll more than likely put it on my home backup dev server on its weekly backup as well.

It's Murphys law, Sh*t happens. I knew our IP transition was going too smoothly. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:54 pm 

Quote:
thats just very...annoying

What's annoying is all the damn whinning you do.

Quote:
It takes time, energy and "MONEY" to keep a site up and running.... the site runs on bandwidth that I pay for out of my companies pocket.

Hey, I think you guys are doing an awesome job. I appreciate all the hard work and effort that goes into making AAT available to EVERYONE. You guys not only donate your money, but your time and talents as well.

THANK YOU :bigthumb:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:48 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Always nice to get a few attaboys once and a while :) Its users like you that make us want to continue to develop the game ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:09 pm 
AA Mega-Trader
AA Mega-Trader

PJ, Tarnus. Yes Sh$t happens. But you guys still do an awsume job. :bigthumb:

Max, Please give the game, PJ, Tarnus and the rest of the players a break.

You know me, and I normaly don't give you too hard a time. As a team player in a game you are one of the best.

But you do give the developers a hard time and that most of the time is not called for.
They work on this game out of their own pocket.
They pay for hosting to run the game and forums, etc.
Yes there are some donations, but I know what is invloved with hosting and costs and it does not even come close.
I also have been caught when backups fail even though you thought you have everything covered.
It is hard on everyone concerned.

I think for a "FREE" game and service they do a great job.

So PJ, Tarnus thanks from down under. :clap: :biggrin: :bigthumb:

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:29 pm 
Developer
Developer

I really appreciate the support from you guys. :) Though some people could disappear and I wouldn't notice, you know who you are.

You have no idea how many blog entries of mine were lost and it pisses me off more than you can know. A lot of work gone in an instant.

Now there is a possible way to find some of your old blog entries by using the search engines to display the cached pages.

For example you can go to http://www.google.com and then enter your blog url prefixed with site:

Example

site:panamajack.aatraders.com

or

allinurl:panamajack.aatraders.com site:panamajack.aatraders.com

You will see a list of some entries that are no longer on the site. If you click on the CACHE link under each of them you will see the cached blog entry.

You can also use MSN Search http://search.msn.com/?FORM=HPRE to find cached pages that may not be found on Google. Just enter your site url in the search box.

panamajack.aatraders.com

and then click on the cache buttons to see the pages.

I should be able to recover at least 5 of my old blog entries by doing this. Yes it is some work but if you want to try and save some of your lost blogs this is about the only way to do it.

You can basically cut the blog entry and then paste it into and editor and then reformat it to match. Check my blog in a little while and you should see some of the older blogs show up again.

There is one way you can make this a little less painful. There is a BBCode Editor called FASS that can be downloaded from this link http://www.pawsoft.com/?p=fass/home

You can paste in what you have cut and highlight the sections you want to quote, color, ect and then see how it should look in your blog. It is what I am using to recover some of the lost entries.

Post subject: Wayback Machine
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:25 pm 

You can recover some of your old blogs using the way back machine. PJ here's your's

http://web.archive.org/web/200406110711 ... layer_id=1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:28 pm 

What you really want is this URL

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www ... /index.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:21 pm 
Developer
Developer

Yeah, I checked there first but they do not include any captures of the site from 2006. They are all 2005 and older so that doesn't help too much as the blogs we lost were from 2006. :(

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ]