It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 4:00 am

The forum is READ ONLY. Please direct any future discussions to our Facebook page

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:56 am 
Gamer
Gamer

Panama Jack wrote:
I can tell you this...

I would switch to a Linux based OS in a minute if I could run every windows based application and game I use. But until then I am stuck with Windows. Don't even talk about Wine. It can do some things but still has problems with many windows programs.

Even that I am a certified and primary user of msSystems/applications I believe that it all comes down to "where the wind blows" in the current place. No system is better than what the users makes it to be. I don't think it matters if U use winblows or Linsux.

- "To be no. 12345 is okay, but whining is Big" ;)

http://www.aatraders.com/index.php?player_id=71

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:07 am 
AA Trader
AA Trader

Is everyone here scared of Vista too? If the new Windows live applications are any clue to where they are heading, I dont think we will see any speed unless we get a soon to be available quad core processor, and 4-8gb of ram. :banging:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:25 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

DarkerSoul wrote:
Is everyone here scared of Vista too? If the new Windows live applications are any clue to where they are heading, I dont think we will see any speed unless we get a soon to be available quad core processor, and 4-8gb of ram. :banging:

Heh Vista will be a dream come true to MacOS I know I maybe bailing over to the mac side when vista comes out ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:32 am 
Developer
Developer

DarkerSoul wrote:

Heh heh, that's the trend with MS products. Especially their OS. Each new iteration is larger, slower and has bigger system requirements. Windows 98 ran fairly spiffy on a 1.2 gig CPU but Windows XP became an unbearable pig for me. Running Windows XP on a 3.2 gig is nice and spiffy but Vista will probably turn into a pig unless you have a 3.0 64 bit Dual Core CPU.

With Microsoft it has always been "The faster hardware will make up for our lousy programming.".

My big worry is about games. I have been hearing rumors that DirectX 10 will only be available for Vista and not XP. That means any new games that use the new DirectX 10 features will only be available for Vista systems Couple that with a number of companies announcing their new titles will be using DirectX 10. Might end up looking bleak for gamers in the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:00 pm 
AA Trader
AA Trader

Thats why I have always liked consoles, because games have to be designed for them, and to improve on console games you have to better code them and make them better through other ways that don't include upgrades to the system. I just wish I could afford one of the new consoles Metal Gear Solid for the PS3 and Zelda for Wii look amazing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:58 pm 
Developer
Developer

I hate consoles for one reason...

The controllers stink. Sure some nimble fingered little 10 year old can master one but us older farts find them too small and the buttons a pain. Also if you are playing FPS games aiming is 100% total pits using the arrow pad or mini joystick. There is nothing like being able to use a mouse to AIM.

PC games also allow far more flexibility and more control options from the keyboard. Unlike controllers where you have to be a memory wiz to remember things like "left, left, right, up, button a" to fire special weapon mode. :p

BTW, the only reason console games SEEM to have better code is because they are programming for only ONE type of CPU, ONE type of VIDEO CONTROLLER, ONE type of SOUND CONTROLLER and usually a fixed amount of available memory. It is much easier when you only have to program for one set of abilities. With PC games they have to take into account the myriad of different video, sound, CPU and memory configurations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:36 pm 
Developer
Developer

Neongreen wrote:
The Wii controller should change that to a degree surely?

Nope it is even worse when it comes to aiming. It is far less precise than using a mouse for the same operations. Innovative concept that may work for some games but for most it's more than a little lacking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:30 pm 
Developer
Developer

Maugrim_The_Reaper wrote:
It's not a rumour - DirectX is Vista only because it utilises a new driver scheme. I'm almost resigned to buying Vista at this point. I'd love to stay on XP but MS have effectively wiped out any chance of increasing its graphics ability.

My plan is to wait for a few months after Vista and go wholesale on the new generation of DirectX video cards. There's also the next processor generation to keep track of before upgrading...

Now that just plain sucks. :cry:

I am not going to get Vista until there is a game or application I absolutely MUST have and that will probably be a long time. :) I expect most game companies will create games that use both DirectX 9 and DirectX 10 for a few years.

Yeah, you are going to need those new Quad Processors to run Vista with any respectability. ;)

Post subject: latest OS
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:02 pm 
AA Mega-Trader
AA Mega-Trader

I work at a local high school and I have only just ordered in XP computers. Up till now we have been using win98.
Reasons:
Too expensive to purchase computers capable of running XP OS an XP Office, but we now have been forced to upgrade because of what joe public is using and we need to make sure that our students are up to speed.
If I had my choice I would be running Linux with Open Office, but I would need to change the whole education system.

Another thought why are we still using qwerty keyboards, because then everyone would need to convert to the dovark keyboard.

Microsoft is just very good at marketing and conning people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:52 pm 
AA Trader
AA Trader

Panama Jack wrote:
I hate consoles for one reason...
BTW, the only reason console games SEEM to have better code is because they are programming for only ONE type of CPU, ONE type of VIDEO CONTROLLER, ONE type of SOUND CONTROLLER and usually a fixed amount of available memory. It is much easier when you only have to program for one set of abilities. With PC games they have to take into account the myriad of different video, sound, CPU and memory configurations.

Thats exactly why I like them better. On a console you never have to lower the graphics because your computer can't handle it, in multiplayer everyone has an even footing; skill and game knowledge became even more important. As for the controller, well I have never really had a problem with it except for FPS games, in fact in fighting,racing, rpg, and so many other types of game id almost rather have the controller. Give the game designer a keyboard and i find they start adding all this useless stuff that only make the game more difficult to play. Rather then working on what matters and making it amzing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:54 pm 
Gamer
Gamer

Ignore the new stuff, buy the old tech (or even used), and buy your games out of the bargain bin.....You will save thousands!!! and never ever pick up a game that has just been released.... You have to control the "must purchase" Demons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:09 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Lucky Starr wrote:
Ignore the new stuff, buy the old tech (or even used), and buy your games out of the bargain bin.....You will save thousands!!! and never ever pick up a game that has just been released.... You have to control the "must purchase" Demons.

New Technology means bleeding edge. Take one step back and buy cutting edge. There is a reason they call it bleeding edge ;)

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2