It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:48 pm

The forum is READ ONLY. Please direct any future discussions to our Facebook page

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: New Windowed Template added to the Main Game
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:27 pm 
Developer
Developer

Well, I decided to go ahead and upload the new Windowed Template for the game.

This template is 100% unique. It will allow you to move the windows ANYWHERE on the screen and you can resize them to any size you would like. The template is currently set for a 1024x768 screen but you can move and resize the windows to fit what you normally use.

You can click on the Title of the window and as long as you hold down the button you can move the window anywhere. The new position is automatically sent to the server and saved.

There is a tiny arrow in the lower right corner of a window. If you click on this arrow you can resize the window as long as you hold down the mouse button. The new window size is sent to the server and saved.

You can also minimize a window by clicking on the open/close button in the upper right corner of the window. This is NOT saved to the server.

This will allow you to customize your main screen to fit what you like and it will always be there as the locations and window sizes are saved to a style-sheet that is specific to each player.

One of the things we would like to see happen over the next two weeks during the holidays is for people to submit graphics that show the windows skinned to look different than they currently look. We would like to see some nice changes to how the windows look for a final release because they are a little bland right now.

You need to have javascript enabled on your browser to any of these changes to take affect.

If this type of template looks like it might become popular then we MAY add the ability to save the template layout to your account on the profile server so you can download the layout on any other game.

The way the window system is designed windows can be used on ANY page the template designer desires. The system is also designed so it can support many different templates.

Enjoy the new template and let us know what you think and any suggestions would be welcome.

If you are reading the news on the main site click on the "Read More about this news item " link at the lower right to view a full screen image of the layout

EDIT: We have just added a new menu version of the Windowed Template. This template offers windowing but is missing the command window as it has a drop down menu bar at the top of the page.

Attachments:
File comment: Windowed Template for the Federation ship in Sol sector.
about_picture.gif
about_picture.gif [ 72.7 KiB | Viewed 10589 times ]

Last edited by Panama Jack on Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:48 pm 
Gamer
Gamer

:eek:

This is too much for words.

Thank you PJ, this is an early Xmas present :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:10 pm 
AA Trader
AA Trader

I have tried both IE7 and IE6 and both fail to show anything other than just the bottom bar where it says Local FNN news.

How do I go about flipping my template back?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:30 pm 
Developer
Developer

It's probably because IE 7 is hosed and it hosed your IE 6 install because you aren't supposed to have both versions of IE on the same machine. Sure you can do it with a hack but that may be what is causing your problem.

Make sure you have scripting enabled for IE which is normally the default settings. Also, if you want the windows to be saved in their new positions using IE then ActiveX must be enabled as well. Those two items are enabled by default on just about everyones install of IE.

I have tested it in Opera 9.10, Firefox 2 and IE 6 and it works just fine in all versions. I haven't tested in IE 7 because I refuse to SCREW UP my computer installing that heaping pile of dog crap.

My suggestion is to download and install either the latest version of Opera or Firefox and use them to change back.

Or you could use the SIMPLE way to change back and press the o key to open the Options Screen as long as javascript is working on your IE. :)

If anyone else is using IE 7 please let us know your results as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:00 pm 
Gamer
Gamer

Uhh... will this affect internet traffic to the server? I wouldn't want to sacrifice speed for glamour.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:00 pm 
Developer
Developer

Because of Kwae Zar's problem I am going to re-work the options and main programs to add a java-script confirm alert box. When a player changes their template it will popup asking if they want to keep the new template. If they select OK then nothing else happens. If they select CANCEL then the Options page will open to allow them to change the template to something else.

Hopefully I can get this added tonight but I may not since I have so many other things going on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:06 pm 
Developer
Developer

SPAR7AN wrote:
Uhh... will this affect internet traffic to the server? I wouldn't want to sacrifice speed for glamour.

Not at all, there is maybe around 40-50 bytes of data sent to the server when a window is moved or resized. That's usually less than what is sent by doing other things in the game. And the page uses a 1.5k style-sheet for the window positions and sizes. Once I get things tweaked it will probably be the most bandwidth friendly template in the package.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:26 pm 
Gamer
Gamer

That's cool... I'm glad to hear it.

I'd like to see an animated template, in which everything changes without transitioning to another page :D I.E. Moving to another sector.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:55 pm 
Developer
Developer

I would like to see a template like that as well. :)

The windowed template uses div tags for all of the windows but I did a quick cut and paste to put information into those windows. This means there are still a lot of tables in th template. What I am going to try to do is remove as many tables as I can and use div tags for as much as possible. It would be nice to make this a table-less template for the main screen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:02 pm 
AA Trader
AA Trader

I know what people do not want to see And that would be that first template in the list. That thing could scare the crap out of someone. :evil: :p

The new one is cool but I don't even know if i'll use it much over my favorite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:54 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

A-Blitz wrote:
I know what people do not want to see And that would be that first template in the list. That thing could scare the crap out of someone. :evil: :p

The new one is cool but I don't even know if i'll use it much over my favorite.

Now if it had my drop menus, and would be nice to be able to program your own hotkeys. Its still pretty cool. Just a few tweaks and it will be almost perfect ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:05 pm 
Developer
Developer

A-Blitz wrote:

Well that first one never should have been there. :) It is going away when we reset. :) I would have removed it a long time ago but quite a few people are using it. :p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:15 am 
AA Trader
AA Trader

I tried the template on two different systems.

One is my work laptop which has IE6
The other is my personal comp. which has IE7 (upgraded from IE6).
Neither works.

-----

The work around hot key "o" works. I was able to switch back out of the buggy thing you call a template. :razz:

------

The popup confirmation is a good idea. =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:40 am 
Developer
Developer

Hey I tried it on two different versions of IE 6 on two computers and one laptop and it worked just fine under IE. So, the problem is in how you have IE configured on those machines.

IE on the 3 machines I tested on use the default configurations and that is probably what 99% of the people using IE will have.

I am still waiting to see if anyone else has problems when using IE. If no other IE users have problems then I think we can safely say that something is bugged is how you configured IE on your computers.

But anyway we will be adding a popup verification for people who have a bugged browser that need an easy way to go back to a different template. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:26 am 

I tried to get the new template and i couldnt see anything exept the bottom thing with the countdown and FNN. I use internet exploer

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next