It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 6:25 pm

The forum is READ ONLY. Please direct any future discussions to our Facebook page

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:08 pm 
Gamer
Gamer

Kwae Zar wrote:
It's as complicated as you want to make it.
Which is why that suggestion should be considered because it is all about flexability.

I know for me personally, I have been waiting for revamped inter-SG planetary Autotrade for many many months.

I don't enjoy the offensive combat aspect of the game, I really just want to spend my time sim-planeting or trading.

From what I read in blogs, you were an attacker in tourneys, why did you stop, KZ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:46 pm 
AA Trader
AA Trader

Basically, those were the days of linearly named sectors...
And there was that 1 time where the builders were forced to go out and attack. Because we had no uncompromised planets left.

What changed you ask?

I had kids. Thus I don't have the time to devote to seek and destory anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:14 pm 
Developer
Developer

Kwae Zar wrote:
I had kids.

Now, there's a terrifying thought. :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:09 am 
AA Trader
AA Trader

It's a humbling experience.
You learn pretty quickly who really is in control in the household.

:shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:37 pm 
AA Mega-Trader
AA Mega-Trader

For those that have young kids, mine are now in their late 20's and yeap they are still in control. They have mum and dad wrapped around their little finger. :)

But I would not change them for the world. My son just got married and we had a lot of family up for the celerbration and I latter got so many comments on how neat our children are and what a great job we did in raising them. :D

PS: See another side of Alf: http://blog.websnz.biz :cool:

KZ, you enjoy your children, they do grow up way too fast.

Post subject: Micro Managing in 1.0
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:15 pm 
Forum Roamer
Forum Roamer

The one thing that I would like to see removed is the date you last visited the planet. For builders in the game this is a real pain because you spend most of your time just doing planet maintenance. Which leaves little time for anything else if you get over 50 planets. Just a thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:06 pm 
AA Mega-Trader
AA Mega-Trader

Kilroy, sorry that is a new feature and is added to help you know when you have visited your planets.

If you don't visit them then your people will get very unhappy and revolt and turn Indy. This is to stop players having heaps of planets. If you don'y visit them at least every 2 days, then the chances start increasing of them revolting.

Joke: If you find them revolting then put them to one side of your plate and eat the rest of your food. :evil:

Many planets can put extra load on the servers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:46 pm 
Forum Roamer
Forum Roamer

I know all this but it has its flaws. You can visit your planets every day and they still revolt. Case in point I had a planet go indy after I took it back it whent inday again in 1.56 days. So in my eyes it is flawed and we dont need it. Planets maintenance has always been a pain before it was added planets still went indy and revolted. Solution visit your planets more and Keep a ship higher than your planet levels to get the indies back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:51 pm 
Developer
Developer

It's not flawed but we had to do something about the number of planets people were creating in the game.

There is absolutely no good reason to have a hundred or more planets because you can create more credits with a few planets and upgrading them.

The main reason we added this is because the number of planets was causing a HUGE load on the database server. This is something that would get most games shut down on a shared host. So don't look for it to change.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:44 pm 
Gamer
Gamer

Panama Jack wrote:
There is absolutely no good reason to have a hundred or more planets because you can create more credits with a few planets and upgrading them.

I beg to differ. Planets do not increase max population exponentially based on their tech levels as they do with max credits. Planets increase max population linearly, which means that it is much more economical to have lots of small planets than large planets.

One level 300 planet costs 1,012,987,332,455 credits to upgrade to 300 from 0. This gives a max pop of 16b colonists, and a max credits of 141T Going from 0 credits, it would take over 48 hours to just cover the cost of the tech levels, and would take a month to max out. One level 200 planet costs 1,531,408,428 credits to upgrade, and can hold 11b colonists. From 0 credits, it would take five minutes to cover the cost of the upgrades. As a planet nears maximum credits, it produces faster. So while the level 300 planet would be sitting at 1% max credits for a day, barely making anything, the smaller planet would take just a few hours to max out, and be able to max out probably 10 times before the 300 planet covered its tech costs. When you are looking at how many 200 planets you can build for the same investment as one level 300, you will see it is astounding. Over 661 planets could be built for the price of one level 300 planet. Even as a ultra-conservative estimate, 5 planets at 200 per 1 planet at 300. 1/100th the cost to make, and able to make 25x the credits (again, a very low figure) because you can have 55b colonists versus 16b, and they will make more per tick due to having a much lower max and being able to actually near that max.

In addition to that, it allows you to pull 100% of your credits daily to upgrade your ship (make it harder to attack you) without ruining your credit production. Or, upgrade your cargo ship to build even more planets. You are able to actually control your growth.

In the current setup, a player who starts late has very little opportunity to make up ground on other builders who started months earlier. Player A started in January, Player B started in April three months apart. A already has 50 planets at level 270 near max (They keep slowly tending the planets up to maximize profit) while B has 50 planets at level 200. Player A has nearly 1quad credits, while Player B has a mere 10T. Player B will never be able to actualyl CATCH UP to Player A, if he can only have the 50 planets. It just won't happen. So, with the .30 code, its all about starting strong, early.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:53 pm 
Gamer
Gamer

Anyway, I forgot to mention. I was wondering if you would give admins the ability to set the max planets before indy rate jumps. I mean, if I have a server I am running, and I don't care about bandwidth and have a nice server box, it would be nice to be able to set it to 1000 (just a random number) so it gives people more room to work around. If I had a small amount of bandwidth or a crappy server, 50 would do nicely. Or simpley have a toggle (Planet_Max_Indy_Increase = <blank> (Set 0 for disable, set 1 to allow only 50 planets before Indy rate increases) )

Anyway, just my thoughts. I'm currently looking at what needs to be done to add one or both to the code so I can run a fun server ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:39 pm 
AA Trader
AA Trader

Sounds to me like the whole "visit the planet" thing needs to be rethought.
I HATE it. And it is the single feature that stopped me playing AAT .3x

Look for suggestions in the 1.0 forums in the next 24 hours. I have several humdingers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:49 pm 
Forum Roamer
Forum Roamer

but this feture is in the code or do i not under stand it btw it has a speeling mistake in it ill find it and post it

its under general game settings

last_visited_days :

If a player doesn't land on a planet within this number of days it because ripe for going independent. Point values can be used for partial days.

and because shuld become become or some thing

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2