It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:22 am

The forum is READ ONLY. Please direct any future discussions to our Facebook page

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Changes in 0.31
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:56 pm 
Developer
Developer

We will be resetting the main game later today if things go right. ;)

There have been a number of back end changes to the game and one major change that will affect everyones game play.

Sector Genesis Created Sectors

You can now easily find your way OUT of an SG Pocket Universe. One of the big complaints about the new sector naming is how it can be hard to find your way out of SG sectors without using an Emergency Warp Device. In 0.21 you could easily find your way out by how the sectors were ordered in the warp list. With the changes in sector naming in 0.30 this went away. The game now keeps track of the sector an SG sector was created from. This will allow easier backtracking to the gateway sector from Real Space. It also greatly reduces database server load in finding the gateway sector path when creating a new SG Sector.

On your warp link list you normally will see either

=>

or

F=>

prefacing a sector name. We have added a third designation that will denote the sector that leads back to the gateway sector. When you see

<=>

before a sector name in your warp link list that is the sector you need to warp to if you want to take the path back to the gateway sector. No matter how convoluted you make your SG pocket universe the path back to the gateway will always be easily found.

Sector Fighters and Planet Energy

This is the HUGE change that will affect everyone.

Sector Fighters no longer use energy from planets when they are idle. The reason the main game dropped off the server list is because there were too many sectors with sector fighters. The game was running out of memory processing the massive numbers of sector fighters every 5 minutes. The sector defense degrade schedule was one of the longest, taking 10-15 seconds to process. One of the things we had planed for 1.00 was removing the sector defense degrade scheduler. Since the main game had problems we decided to move this feature up and include it in the next update to 0.3x.

You will still have the same restrictions on the number of fighters you can place in a sector but they will no longer drain any energy from planets while they are idle.

Since sector fighters are no longer draining energy from planets all of the time we have greatly reduced the energy production capabilities of planets. Planets will now produce 1/100 of the energy per colonist as they did before. This is still more than enough to support anything on the planet and most planets will still create massive amounts of energy as they get bigger. This change will also make the fuel scoop more useful. New planets or planets that are attacked frequently will need energy infusions from ships carrying fuel scoops or from ships trading energy from energy ports. This should have a side effect of bringing back more trading to the game.

We didn't completely remove the need of energy for fighters. :evil:

Fighters will drain energy from planets in the sector when they are attacking any intruder to the sector. The amount of energy per attack is the same amount of energy used before when the fighters were draining energy every 5 minutes. This is why the planet energy production was greatly reduced. If there isn't enough energy to power all of the fighters then only the fighters that can be powered will defend the sector. If there are 50 million fighters in a sector but only enough energy on the planets to power 10 million then 10 million will defend the sector. The other 40 million will do absolutely nothing and may be destroyed. As long as there is energy on the planets the sector fighters can defend the sector.

Another change to planet production was made to goods and ore production. It has been reduced by 30%. Organics production is still the same as it seems to be perfectly balanced for colonists.

We will be resetting either late tonight or tomorrow. There are still a few minor tweaks that need to be ironed out.

Post subject: Re: Changes in 0.31
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:35 pm 
Gamer
Gamer

Do we have to have the <=> thing? It really makes it much harder to try and lost attackers in an SG if they can always find the way out. I think this will be a huge blow to builders of deep SG holes.

I do applaud the change in SD energy requirements, although, it is going to be tough to get the planets set right if you don't have huge energy reserves (READ: Very easy to wear down a planet's Shields if you are unable to break at first.) One additional change I would still like to see is taking away the bonus for techs with a based planet. It is still entirely too easy to keep planets in the range where an attacker HAS to use Nova Bombs to break planets. Not only are the planet techs MUCH less expensive, but they are counted 20 levels higher due to being based. I believe this should change.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:55 pm 
Developer
Developer

It's not going to make it easier on the lost SG Attackers unless they make a mistake of not carrying EWDs. Most players who are searching SD pockets carry at least one EWD so they can get out fast.

Yes, it can possibly be easier to wear down a planets shields but it is just as easy to fill a planet up using a trade route. Any player can easily fill a planet with energy while it is being attacked and not get touched. Traderoutes are invisible support. The only thing that can stop them is if they have to break through SD first.

And you might be right about the base boost. We might change that to a sliding scale that reduces the higher the planets average tech level. The larger the planet the less it needs that boost and that boost at the higher tech levels is massive in terms of saved cost.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:04 pm 
Gamer
Gamer

Well, I was just meaning that in the past you were able to create very, very complex SGs that made it very hard for an attacker to finally find his way to your planets. With the addition of taking away one possible confusing link in every sector, there is not an easy way to muddle the issue now, except for just building deep and maxing links deep in all arms of the SG, so they have more SGs to search through (Unless they have your trail)

Still, its not the end of the world, I was just disappointed :D Again, kudos with the SD change, although, refilling a planet requires that you are online when it is attacked, which is rarely the case.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:39 pm 
Developer
Developer

Actually in 0.21 you could ALWAYS find your way out of an SG maze because of the order the sectors were listed in the warp list. It was only with 0.30 that this changed. Adding this is definately for the better.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:58 pm 
Developer
Developer

Ok, we are going to try this in the new game.

The Base Defense boost will scale when attacking a planet or sofa bombing a planet. The higher the tech level of certain techs the lower the base boost will be. The boost will be based off the individual tech levels and not an average of all tech levels.

You will still receive the FULL Base Defense boost on sector defenses and scanning your planet for spies.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:03 pm 
Gamer
Gamer

Lol...

I think I know about .21 attacking. Yes, you could always find your way out. My comment about in the past, was that in .30 you were able to create labyrinths. Was not a comment about .21, as we TOTALLY moved away from that style two years ago with the .30 code.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:01 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well if you are still creative with your SG, a player could still get lost. All this tells you is what direction you might have come from...am I right PJ?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:06 pm 
Developer
Developer

Well, it's the fastest route back to realspace through the warplinks.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:35 pm 
Gamer
Gamer

Oh, it is still certainly possible to confuse attackers, and I plan on testing a good numbers of ideas, but my statement was that there is now no EASY way, except making a ton of sectors. A good player will always find a way to make things as hard as possible for his opponents. Regardless, we'll end the little thoughts about that, because I had no intention of arguing about it to start, I was just pointing out it was more difficult ;)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:03 pm 
Gamer
Gamer

Don't know where else to post this, but it is showing up in people's profile some skewed completed game for the main. The player directly below them in the rankings is showing up in their profile:

Server
AAtrade Main .30
Version: 0.30

Game Ended
Sep 8, 2007 - 6:58pm

Player Alias
Kerrade
Rank 23 of 35
Score: 8,559,973
Turns Used: 120,921
Rating: Neutral
Kills: 64
Deaths: 12
Planet Captures: 469
Planets Lost: 501
Planets Built: 294
Planets Based: 405
Planets Destroyed: 140
Avg Defense: 0
Total Online Time: 11d 18h 29m
's Lost:

My name was Junkmaster Kendrick in the main game. I noticed this first when I checked Satman's profile, and it was showing his alias was "Sapphiredragon" which I knew it wasn't.

Can you please look into this?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:42 pm 
Trial
Trial

I'm reporting the same problem as you max. My profile says my name is Bonewulf, but my in name game was Fidel Gomez. All of the stats were incorecct as well. Beowulf was 2 ranks below me if that helps.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:56 pm 

Yup, looks like I am Purificateur :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:11 pm 
Gamer
Gamer

I've got Smock's....

Please get it fixed, I don't want to be Smock.

Excellent changes, I do wonder whether auto routes have been fixed? Also, would it be possible to have a small archive that calculates how much energy will be used for X amount of fighters (increments of 5 million?). This would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:14 pm 
Developer
Developer

Ok, the profiles should be fixed. :)

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next