It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:48 pm

The forum is READ ONLY. Please direct any future discussions to our Facebook page

Page 5 of 8 [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Main Game Bounty Change Part Tres
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 12:56 am 
Gamer
Gamer

Tarnus wrote:
I had a thought similar, but what I thought was more of a team vs team. If you declared war with another team, all bounties between those teams are dissolved. The declaration would have to be agreed to by both teams and those teams set a time for battle. Say min 24 hours and a max of 1 week. There would be a 24 hour delay before the war began, but once both teams agreed to it there is no turning back till the war time expires. I think its more on an ego thing than anything else. But would create an interesting sub plot ;)

That is a idea I see fit into this game. Reminds me of Sid meyer's game "Pirates" :D

I like the Idea that if two team have agreed to have a NAP, the a breaking of this makes the NAP to a War-declaration => no bounties :)

That way the team-captain's role is more than just a player who created the team.

- "To be no. 12345 is okay, but whining is Big" ;)

http://www.aatraders.com/index.php?player_id=71

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 3:17 am 
Forum Roamer
Forum Roamer

Um... how about combining the fed tax idea and ship effectiveness idea with a sort of Mercenaries Union (The Alliance is already set up to play this role perfectly). Put limits on ships effectiveness when combating those closer to the bounty range unless a person applies to be a part of the alliance. Then they have to pay large dues based on their ships tech levels daily to the Alliance, but they will be able to use their ship to it's full effectiveness.

This makes the mercenary angle still a viable strategy and makes it so that if a team should funnel money to a lower scored member that money isn't being funneled into the ship but rather funneled into a drain. Just have the money automatically deducted from a players total creds onboard their ship daily, if they don't have enough to cover it than their most valuable ship has it's highest tech downgraded until it totals the amount that they owed in dues (have the tech downgrade a discounted worth, so that it's more beneficial to have the money on you than to invest it in your ship).

Make it also so that a player can leave the alliance whenever he wants, at the cost of having his ships techs less efficient vs people closer to bounty range again.

...you're welcome.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 8:56 am 
AA Warrior
AA Warrior

Responding to Tonto's idea, I just don't think it makes sense to have a person's score affect how their ship functions. And again to Tarnus, if we can have wars, why not alliances? :)

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 12:35 pm 
Developer
Developer

Big wrote:
Tarnus wrote:
I had a thought similar, but what I thought was more of a team vs team. If you declared war with another team, all bounties between those teams are dissolved. The declaration would have to be agreed to by both teams and those teams set a time for battle. Say min 24 hours and a max of 1 week. There would be a 24 hour delay before the war began, but once both teams agreed to it there is no turning back till the war time expires. I think its more on an ego thing than anything else. But would create an interesting sub plot ;)

That is a idea I see fit into this game. Reminds me of Sid meyer's game "Pirates" :D

I like the Idea that if two team have agreed to have a NAP, the a breaking of this makes the NAP to a War-declaration => no bounties :)

That way the team-captain's role is more than just a player who created the team.

It couldn't just be something like a NAP but it would HAVE to be something agreed upon by the captains of BOTH teams. Otherwise you would have people automatically starting a bounty free war at the drop of a hat.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 2:41 pm 
AA Warrior
AA Warrior

Oh, yeah, of course. But as long as both team leaders agreed, it would be fine.

The thing is, the way I see it, it couldn't benefit both. It would just benefit the team with the bigger players, or with the team whose highest member was bigger. There should be some other incentive... Perhaps a cash reward for "winning" the war or something, but I don't know how that would be determined.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 3:29 pm 
Trial
Trial

Valience wrote:
The thing is, the way I see it, it couldn't benefit both. It would just benefit the team with the bigger players, or with the team whose highest member was bigger. There should be some other incentive... Perhaps a cash reward for "winning" the war or something, but I don't know how that would be determined.

Val,

What about requiring a fee of sorts before the war begins to be paid by both sides. At the end of the declared war period, whichever team has the most ship(not planet) kills gets the pot.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 4:28 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Valience wrote:
Oh, yeah, of course. But as long as both team leaders agreed, it would be fine.

Grumble... here I was trying to ignore val, but then you actually say something interesting. I kind of like this idea. Maybe different variation, called wargames that when the attacks happen, like KZ mentioned the attacks are executed but you don't actually lose anything. I call it counting koo mode. Then its a skill based game on who can tag the other the most times. No risk involved but the booty at the end of the battle.

While this is way off topic it does make for an interesting sub plot. Also enables a player to play head to head with a top guy should they want to and risk a cash or even a ship (lol battle for pinks)

PJ is probably pulling his hair out over what it would take to even do these ideas. :)

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 7:38 pm 
AA Warrior
AA Warrior

Quote:
PJ is probably pulling his hair out over what it would take to even do these ideas. :)

lol, sorry I can't code, or I'd have more appreciation for the work you guys do.

Quote:
Grumble... here I was trying to ignore val, but then you actually say something interesting.

Even if I hadn't said something interesting, I would have spammed 'till I got attention ;)

I like your idea. This way, it's more of a friendly sort of duel. Like two angry Frenchmen dueling with blanks.. lol Whoever gets the first shot off wins some cash. No one really loses more than they agree to.

I also like ShadowKat's idea, dealing with real wars, and not just friendly duels for money.

Quote:
What about requiring a fee of sorts before the war begins to be paid by both sides. At the end of the declared war period, whichever team has the most ship(not planet) kills gets the pot.

Here are some variations. I'm not really supporting any, I'm just putting them out there.

1: Winning or losing determined by team who gains the most kill efficiency over the course of the war.

2: Winning or losing determined by team who inflicts more cash damage on other team by the end of the war. All losses are taken into account, including planet techs and commodities/cash, ships, cash on ship when destroyed, etc.

3: Money a player is required to put into "pot" is proportional to net worth. If you're worth more, you have a higher chance of winning, so you have to contribute more money so that your enemy's reward is higher (since they odds were against him). The two sides could both agree to put a given percentage of their net worth into the pot.

4: Fees! The IGB takes fees on everything, so why not this? You could incorporate the system into the IGB system, and no matter whoever wins, they always take 5% of the pot. This wouldn't do anything, but at least we're being consistent, right? lol

5: Simple point system. Getting an SM off that doesn't kill the enemy is worth, say, 1 point. Podding the enemy with and SM is worth 5 points. Podding in ship is worth 10 points. Taking a planet is worth .5 points. Taking a planet worth at least 10T is worth 2 points. Ect. All point values could vary.

I think I like 2 and 3 the best, but I thought I'd mention all of 'em just to put 'em out there. In fact, ideas 1 and 2 could both be incorporated. Then, the two parties involved could actually get together and decide which way the war would be decided. I'm always supporting more options, so I think that would be really neat (though would require even more programming).

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 6:25 am 
Gamer
Gamer

MadMArdigan666 wrote:
I just feel that the biggest problem is hired guns.

You think that the biggest problem is hired guns? Is that just because they cost you sooo much money? Or is it just getting too hard to keep up with the books on all the hired guns you have? Methinks paying less players to kill me would solve the hired gun problem.

Panama Jack wrote:
Let's see when have you ever seen a level 500 ship owned by someone in our game? I would say NEVER because the amount of money just to get the tech levels to 500 across the board just isn't going to happen in a normally running game. PERIOD. For a person to get enough money to buy tech levels of that magnitude they would been to have thousands of planets in the mid-200 range or have hundreds with around 400 tech levels and producing credits like a big dog. So to even be able to AFFORD a level 500 across the board ship you are going to need a huge infrastructure just to buy the tech level in the first place. This is why I discounted your example. You didn't think it through logically and went on an emotional quickie response.

Already been addressed, but I wanted to to reiterate that Valience was talking about a cash value of the ship being 500 trillion credits, not the tech value being 500. I've had a 500T ship in each of the last 2-3 main games, save this one, so it is not unheard of. Also thought I'd point out that having planets with 400 tech levels wouldn't really produce much more than planets with mid-200s. A bit, but you'd make more money with 400 planets in the 250 range than 100 planets in the 400 range.

Tarnus wrote:
I had a thought similar, but what I thought was more of a team vs team. If you declared war with another team, all bounties between those teams are dissolved. The declaration would have to be agreed to by both teams and those teams set a time for battle. Say min 24 hours and a max of 1 week. There would be a 24 hour delay before the war began, but once both teams agreed to it there is no turning back till the war time expires. I think its more on an ego thing than anything else. But would create an interesting sub plot

Anything that is forced to continue for a length of time I would be against. Give the team captains the ability to surrender, with a 12 hour delay. This would provide the incentive to have wars and such, and list war status and such on the team page, so people can see how many wars a team has won/lost. Also having that info available on a player's profile page would be awesome. When a team surrenders, there is 12 more hours, then both teams go into a mandatory 24-48 hour cease fire, where neither team can attack the other. If your team is getting beat down, you should be able to call the fight rather than lose everything.

Valience wrote:
5: Simple point system. Getting an SM off that doesn't kill the enemy is worth, say, 1 point. Podding the enemy with and SM is worth 5 points. Podding in ship is worth 10 points. Taking a planet is worth .5 points. Taking a planet worth at least 10T is worth 2 points. Ect. All point values could vary.

SMing someone for armor damage (It would have to just count if armor points were taken) being only counted for 2x taking a planet? Do you know how tough it is to find a player's ship? Getting any damage on a player's ship is more respectable than taking some planets.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 8:26 am 
AA Warrior
AA Warrior

I agree with pretty much everything you just said Max. Though you didn't suggest the contrary, I would like it so that wars that go on the full time period be decided through my suggestions numbered 1 or 2.

I also support 3, and I would expect 4 to be implemented because everything else has a fee :P

I was just writing number 5 to give people an alternative to think about. I don't like it as much myself, but more ideas never hurts. Also, as I pointed out, all "points" values could certainly be subject to change.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:27 am 
AA Warrior
AA Warrior

Just thought I'd point out that the last bounty change just took it's first victim. Ealge commited suicide today because of it. I'm not commenting, just noticing.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Valience wrote:
Just thought I'd point out that the last bounty change just took it's first victim. Ealge commited suicide today because of it. I'm not commenting, just noticing.

The sad thing is. All eagle really needed to do was leave the team. Then they could have attacked just like normal. The quick solution is to kill team cash. And then they all can attack like normal. But I think PJs fix will be good but I am unsure how soon it will be ready.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 1:28 pm 
AA Warrior
AA Warrior

You never know.. if they shared an SG, leaving could have been impossible.

Stopping team cash could be a quick fix, but it wouldn't work in the long run.

I'm still a huge advocate of testing PJs idea before it's put into effect.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 2:54 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Valience wrote:
You never know.. if they shared an SG, leaving could have been impossible.

Stopping team cash could be a quick fix, but it wouldn't work in the long run.

I'm still a huge advocate of testing PJs idea before it's put into effect.

Well that is the plan :)

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 6:19 pm 
Developer
Developer

Don't expect any changes until the end of the month. I am working furiously to finish my house so I can get moved in this month. So there is little time for game programming.

Page 5 of 8 [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next