It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:37 pm

The forum is READ ONLY. Please direct any future discussions to our Facebook page

Page 2 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Wanted... Guides!!!!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:18 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jonner wrote:
Sign me up as well. Been doing it freelance for a while now.

OK, I think you have been around long enough to be a pretty good one. When you log in be sure to add guide to the end of your login.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:23 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tarnus wrote:
Jonner wrote:
Sign me up as well. Been doing it freelance for a while now.

OK, I think you have been around long enough to be a pretty good one. When you log in be sure to add guide to the end of your login.

Well apparently your name is too long. I'm gonna have to wait till PJ can look at it.

Tarnus mutters to himself... if it was a FLAG, we wouldn't have this problem ...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:51 am 
Forum Roamer
Forum Roamer

I volunteer, when i'm playing, however often that is.

As for helping... if I might, I suggest a new part of the log. Guide Log in game. When a new player signs up Guides recieve a log just the once to let them know there is potential for noob questions.

"Player 'EftupNoob' Joins the Main sever onboard the 'BombBait.' Please assist in any questions player 'EftupNoob' might have for you."

Then 4 lucky embezzelments come along and EftupNoob is suddenly rolling with the mid-level boys with no clue what the f*** he's doing. He goes to the guide and the guide sees his score and says "you're no f****in' noob, look at that score."

With a log that announces his name to the Guide community, that wouldn't be an issue. understand?

I don't know, it's 2:30 AM and I just woke up after a 3 hour nap... it's time to finish off my night of sleep.

...you're welcome.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:37 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

LordTonto wrote:
I volunteer, when i'm playing, however often that is.

As for helping... if I might, I suggest a new part of the log. Guide Log in game. When a new player signs up Guides recieve a log just the once to let them know there is potential for noob questions.

"Player 'EftupNoob' Joins the Main sever onboard the 'BombBait.' Please assist in any questions player 'EftupNoob' might have for you."

Then 4 lucky embezzelments come along and EftupNoob is suddenly rolling with the mid-level boys with no clue what the f*** he's doing. He goes to the guide and the guide sees his score and says "you're no f****in' noob, look at that score."

With a log that announces his name to the Guide community, that wouldn't be an issue. understand?

I don't know, it's 2:30 AM and I just woke up after a 3 hour nap... it's time to finish off my night of sleep.

I had suggested similar to PJ, that would be easier if I had a flag instead of a name change :) hehe PJ is ignoring me :)

Careful on the language LT. I censored you. Hope your ready for the Football league its gonna be tough.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:28 am 
Developer
Developer

Actually I think Guides are not just to help new players but everyone. So having a guide announcement when a new player joins isn't needed. Guides should be held to a higher standard than normal players and should give respect to all players new or not. If a person applying for a Guide position cannot do this then they shouldn't apply to be a Guide.

Also, Guides should only be something found on our servers since we can only monitor our servers to make sure Guides are not being total idiots to other players.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:50 pm 

Guess I`ll just have to freelance it. Remove the 'Guide' from me until a fix is made, I can`t log in now. (I`m rather attached to my name and don`t want to change it)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:33 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jonner wrote:
Guess I`ll just have to freelance it. Remove the 'Guide' from me until a fix is made, I can`t log in now. (I`m rather attached to my name and don`t want to change it)

I'll remove it, but is it not letting you type your normal login with Guide after your name?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:35 pm 

Naw, all I can type out is 'Nathaniel Flint Guid'.
(Logged in as 'Nathaniel Flint' now)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:43 pm 
Developer
Developer

It should take your full name now.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:14 pm 
AA Warrior
AA Warrior

Quote:
Actually I think Guides are not just to help new players but everyone. So having a guide announcement when a new player joins isn't needed. Guides should be held to a higher standard than normal players and should give respect to all players new or not. If a person applying for a Guide position cannot do this then they shouldn't apply to be a Guide.

I agree. I also agree with Tarnus that having it as a flag would be better. And finally, I think the noobs ought to come to us. I know I'm going to come off as a jerk, but I'm too lazy to go around asking every new player if they have questions, and they'd probably be annoyed too. It'd just be easier if they came to us.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:09 pm 

I learned last year when Alf had a bunch of his students start playing that people are against getting help. I offered to train them all in some of the basics and some good tips, but only 1 or 2 actually took up my offer.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:54 pm 
AA Trader
AA Trader

Quote:
I learned last year when Alf had a bunch of his students start playing that people are against getting help. I offered to train them all in some of the basics and some good tips, but only 1 or 2 actually took up my offer.

I agree. every game I play, I wind up having 10 or so noobs contact me. More than half are just after money.
Out of the rest only 1 or 2 bother to ask actual questions and take advice.

Some of that may happen to be when I am online, or how high I rank vs other players online at the time.
But I still say it is a good idea, and something they should be made aware of when the noobs log in.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:42 pm 

When you get the flag thing set up, sign me up again - I`ll go guide officially instead of freelancing.

Aug. 30: Here`s a thought... since only players with profiles can currently sign up as guides, why not change the colour of their name in the rankings list from light blue to yellow, and say "(G)" placed after their login names instead of "Guide". Just a thought.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:58 pm 
Gamer
Gamer

The Guide program is really taking off!!! I have at least One question waiting for me each Day...Then when I answer the question to their satisfaction they ask me a different Question..... My real-life job works the same way also...So I have this Holistic thing going on with being a Guide.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:21 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Excellent!!! I am glad to see the idea is working. Thanks for being one. I'm hoping it will help and give some noobs a one up in the future.

Page 2 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next