It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:59 am

The forum is READ ONLY. Please direct any future discussions to our Facebook page

Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Wanted... Guides!!!!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:15 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

We are looking for volunteers that will take on the responsibility of being "Guides" in the main game.

What's a guide?
A guide is someone that will always help a new player with questions and information. Many RPGs and large games have them to help the new users. This doesn't mean you give them money, just help with how to do things and questions when they arise. From what some people say we have quite the complicated game with its ever evolving changes.

When a new user logs in an announcement will show them information and tell them to contact guides with their questions. Guides are users with Guide in their names. Only we will be able to add Guide to your username to prevent abuse. Don't let us catch you as a guide giving bad info or you may find yourself podded or kicked from the game. As far as help. Please keep it to questions and or maybe warp links if they are stuck, try not to give them credits. Most players learn better if they have to earn what they get.

Whats in it for the Guide? Absolutely nothing, but the knowledge that you helped a new users that may not quit because it got too hard for them. And maybe a user that you can shoot once they get on their feet.

Being a guide doesn't mean you can't shoot someone, just use good judgment and try to play with a high moral standard.

Step right up and let us know if you want to be a guide or not.

Post subject: Re: Wanted... Guides!!!!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:52 pm 
Gamer
Gamer

I will Do it....

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:00 pm 
AA Warrior
AA Warrior

Sign me up. I've been helping new players since my first round, when I was a new player :P

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:34 pm 

I'll sign up, just so I can make an army of oakman wannabes parading around the universe killing each other

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:12 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

OK prep yourself, you will now have to login with Guide at the end of your names. So Lucky Star would become, Lucky Star Guide.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:31 am 
AA Warrior
AA Warrior

So in the future, to become a guide, we just have to apply for a name change?

That's ok, but I would prefer it if it was a sort of status thing. Like you could set it in the options, or apply to the admin, and then it gets put onto the end of your name (heh, could be my extra cognomen), but it's not part of your user name that you log in with. And it could be a different color in the rankings :P

But I understand that that would take more programming, and that this is a much faster, easier way. So this is fine for now.

Edit: Alright, who's surprised that I talk before I see? :P It is a different color, which I would have liked. In fact, I would have suggested yellow ;) But it would be slightly more convenient if we didn't have to login like that. But I don't really mind.

Edit 2: Well, while I'm on a role, why not add in something in the rankings were new players can sort by guides? That'd be pretty neat. It'd make us more accessible.

Edit 3: Because I'm special, I demand to be an exception! I must be Coriolanus Guidius! At least that way my name is all one language :P jk

Edit 4: You ought to post in the Fed info port that people with Guide at the end of their names are here to help.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:03 pm 
Gamer
Gamer

I'll be a guide... oh yeah, I'm not playing... :cool:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:41 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Valience wrote:
So in the future, to become a guide, we just have to apply for a name change?

That's ok, but I would prefer it if it was a sort of status thing. Like you could set it in the options, or apply to the admin, and then it gets put onto the end of your name (heh, could be my extra cognomen), but it's not part of your user name that you log in with. And it could be a different color in the rankings :P

But I understand that that would take more programming, and that this is a much faster, easier way. So this is fine for now.

Edit: Alright, who's surprised that I talk before I see? :P It is a different color, which I would have liked. In fact, I would have suggested yellow ;) But it would be slightly more convenient if we didn't have to login like that. But I don't really mind.

Edit 2: Well, while I'm on a role, why not add in something in the rankings were new players can sort by guides? That'd be pretty neat. It'd make us more accessible.

Edit 3: Because I'm special, I demand to be an exception! I must be Coriolanus Guidius! At least that way my name is all one language :P jk

Edit 4: You ought to post in the Fed info port that people with Guide at the end of their names are here to help.

Man, you must be bored, 4 edits.... Well I suggested most of what you did but its easier with the login. I actually did the ranking programming, a guide sort may take a little more work. Note, any new users get a Fed message when they login that guides are there to help :) I wanted to expand on that but we will see how this goes.

I think I am going to limit guides to only profiled users so there is ways we can know who that person is. Maybe have an option in the profiles to rate your guide :)

I'm also thinking guides may get access to special forum areas so we can make them aware of changes before it happens. Just a few ideas I have had bouncing around my head.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:07 pm 
Gamer
Gamer

I figured as much, its too much of a giveaway if some random guy is guide.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:08 pm 
AA Warrior
AA Warrior

Yes, I was quite bored ;)

I like your ideas. The rate your guide thing would be good, since I've got the MOST ridiculously commented profile in the game. Conversations, flaming, comments, etc. It'd be nice if I could have a different one for just people commenting on me as guide :P

I don't know if we need access to a special forum thing, but if you think so, that's fine.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:35 pm 

A forum thing would be kind of nice. Especially if its a really technical question. Might be able to combine guide power to help out with it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:33 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well hopefully we can expand on the idea so everyone will know that if they got questions ask the guides. Maybe it will take some of the noob issues out. I was trying to get PJ to send noobs a list of guides and guides a note when new players login so we can start them out with a guide resource.... may take some more thumpin ;)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:00 pm 
AA Warrior
AA Warrior

Well I don't think guides need to be alerted when a noob logs in. It's only relevant if the noob has a question, in which case we'll be alerted as soon as they ask it :P

Edit: Hmm... noticing the ranking page on the main. Two of the three guides are two of the four most evil people in the game. I bet that's scary for noobs to see.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:15 pm 
Forum Roamer
Forum Roamer

oakman wrote:
A forum thing would be kind of nice. Especially if its a really technical question. Might be able to combine guide power to help out with it.

By your powers combined... :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:06 pm 

Sign me up as well. Been doing it freelance for a while now.

Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next