It is currently Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:20 am

The forum is READ ONLY. Please direct any future discussions to our Facebook page

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: I just HAD to let everyone know about this...
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 7:23 pm 
Developer
Developer

Before I get to the big news...

AATraders uses basically a spherical galaxy model for placing all of the sectors around the home sector of 1. This great but doesn't lend itself to some more interesting gameplay changes that we have been wanting to impliment.

Well, someone has come to our aid. (sound of fireworks going off and crowds chearing)

A very talented programmer by the name of Shane Harrelson (aka Pachelbel) has give us some AMAZING code that will allow a SPIRAL galaxy to be created with many arms full of stars with fewer stars trailing out to the end of the arm.

And as a huge bonus it even has code for displaying the spiral galaxy showing exactly where you are in the graphic (as long as the server has the GD Graphics Library installed).

This code will allow us to GREATLY expand on some new game aspects.

1. Regional Wars where the team who controls the most sectors in a spiral arm controls the entire arm and can attack anyone not on their team without getting a bounty.

2. Something similar to number 1 but where at the end of the day a tote board is shown of the galaxy and who controls what arms. Goal of the game is to have your team control the most sectors in EVERY arm for 3 days. When that happens the game is over and that team is declared the winner.

3. A arm controlled strictly by the Kabal or an arm controlled by the Federation with different things happening there.

4. Warp links that can only work between the sectors in their arm of the galaxy so you have to realspace to other arms or go through the federation hub to move to another arm.

5. So much more...

One of the exciting things will be the Spiral Galaxy Map. You won't be able to click on a point of light and get information about it or move there (yet) but something just as good can be done. Each team already has it's own team colors and the Spiral Map will color the pixel for each sector in the map using each team color in the same way the Galaxy Map does. That way you can see who owns what areas of the galaxy.

I am so excited about this I could pee my pants. :D

Many thanks to Pachelbel for sending us his code so we can use it. I think we may take his code in directions he never though about. :D

This is just so cool! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 7:40 pm 
AA Trader
AA Trader

sounds amazing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 7:08 pm 
AA Trader
AA Trader

But keep in mind, one of the best things about this game is that its easy to play, it isnt really complicated, don't risk the games playability while making it better.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]