It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:23 pm

The forum is READ ONLY. Please direct any future discussions to our Facebook page

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:33 pm 
Developer
Developer

Well, the game doesn't use cookies. It uses sessions for all of that. There may be a problem with the sessions on your new servers.

We completely removed all cookie support years ago because alot of people have cookies disabled. Plus about the only reason to ever use gookies in a game like this is for auto-logon features similar to how the forums or profiles here work. Since we don't allow auto-logons in the game there was no need for cookies to be used.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:17 pm 
Developer
Developer

I wish we hadn't lost almost a years worth of forum messages last month. Someone else had a similar problem and it had something to do with the server settings. I don't remember exactly what they did to fix it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:41 pm 
Developer
Developer

I just downloaded the combopatch and it unpacks just fine with two different programs. You might want to re-download it or try a different program to unpack it. And the files are not inside a directory in the archive.

Running the installer will do nothing to the database itself. It will allow you to modify the information in the config_local.php file and that is it. Now if you run the create_universe.php then you will destroy the database.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:42 pm 
Developer
Developer

If you figure out what is causing the problem be sure to let us know. I plan on taking any information like that and creating a troubleshooting FAQ for future reference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:09 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

kaiser souse wrote:
PJ can you do me a favor and run http://comfortablydumb.net/phptest.php and look at the values.

Specifically I wanted your opinion on the sessions part and the lack of allowed persistant connections. Also, anything else in there that may strike you as "omg of course the game wont run" i'd love to hear your input :)

This might be it ...Your version of the mysql client is 3.23.49 and we do require 4.x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:50 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

kaiser souse wrote:
i submited a ticket asking if they planned on upgrading...looks like one of the admins is checking out mysql 4 and they'll let me knwo when it goes up :)

Good deal. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:23 pm 
Developer
Developer

Well, it looks like you are using the SQLITE database as your session handler. Maybe that is causing the problem. Then again not having a session save path might be preventing sessions from being saved.

Here is what we have set on our servers.

Session Support enabled
    Registered save handlers files user eaccelerator

Directive Local Value Master Value
    session.auto_start Off Off
    session.bug_compat_42 On On
    session.bug_compat_warn On On
    session.cache_expire 180 180
    session.cache_limiter nocache nocache
    session.cookie_domain no value no value
    session.cookie_lifetime 0 0
    session.cookie_path / /
    session.cookie_secure Off Off
    session.entropy_file no value no value
    session.entropy_length 0 0
    session.gc_divisor 100 100
    session.gc_maxlifetime 1440 1440
    session.gc_probability 1 1
    session.name PHPSESSID PHPSESSID
    session.referer_check no value no value
    session.save_handler files files
    session.save_path /tmp /tmp
    session.serialize_handler php php
    session.use_cookies On On
    session.use_only_cookies Off Off
    session.use_trans_sid Off Off

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:38 pm 
Developer
Developer

No, I don't have any ideas. :(

One last thing I guess...

What is PHP compiled with?

'./configure' '--with-apxs2=/usr/local/apache2/bin/apxs' '--with-mysql=/usr/' '--with-xml' '--enable-wddx' '--disable-debug' '--with-mcrypt' '--enable-track-vars' '--enable-trans-sid' '--with-gd' '--with-zlib-dir'

That is what we use when we compile PHP on Apache 2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:34 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good question. I'm still trying to remember what the diff between .20 and .21 were... been way too long.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:26 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well thats been the goal, however, our current focus is on the new version. Which has alot of what your asking for.

Please be patient... we are trying to get a runable version out so everyone will get to play it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:19 pm 
Developer
Developer

Zardoz the problem is 100% on your end and with your computer. No if ands or buts about it. I have installed the game on 5 different servers that use different versions of fedora, apache, mysql and php. None of them had any problem with the game installing and running just fine. I have run it on PHP 5, PHP 4, Apache 2 and 1.3 and about half a dozen different versions of mysql. No problems as long as you have installed the latest versions of ADOdb and Smarty for PHP 4.4.x and 5.x.x instead uf using the ones that come with the download.

Most of the servers use the default settings for apache, mysql and php with the exception of using the GD and mcrypt libraries. The vast majority of people who have installed 0.21 have never had any problems. Those that have usually find out that something has been configured improperly on their server or something has been disabled that the intaller told them about.

Maybe less than 1% of the people who have installed the game have had a problem and as I said it is usually tracked down to something on their end and had nothing to do with the game.

Honestly there isn't any real difference between the login for 0.20 and 0.21.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:08 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

kaiser souse wrote:
well ive tried v.20 and the old BNT and i get the same thing all around. At this point im giving up because I cant figure out what is it or how to make it go away. Session info IS being added to the sessions table in the DB so ????

If your haveing the same problem with both BNT and AAT then its gotta be something server related.

I tried to goto your phptest link again so I could double check it for you but looks like the file does not exists. Please refresh my memory so we can try and point out the problem. I'd be interested in a final solution so we can have it for others that have the same problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:47 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

OK we finally found the problem we hope. Please see this thread and I think the solution is at the end: Click Me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:05 pm 
Developer
Developer

That is a function of PHP's sessions. Sessions time out after 5 minutes on just about every single server that is using PHP. It is not something the game can really change without making alot of nasty changed to how the game works.

So either do something every 5 minutes or log back in.

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ]