It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:13 am

The forum is READ ONLY. Please direct any future discussions to our Facebook page

Page 2 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mentors
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:07 am 
Forum Roamer
Forum Roamer

my first day joining i made a planet... got myself a few billion, and rested on it overnight.

second day, I log in, moonraker had killed me... he was top gun at the time... it was aggrivating.

I send him a message... ask him how? why? you know, i whine. He sends me one back, i'm sorry, visit sector (insert forgotten number here).

I go, there is an undefended planet with about 400 tril on it. Moonraker was my mentor and all he needed to do was blow me up and then provide enough funding that I could get addicted. By the time the money ran out, I was hooked.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:08 pm 
AA Warrior
AA Warrior

lol, that's the kind of thing I try to do when I do blow up small guys, but I definitely don't have 400T to give out. 5T is more like it :P

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:03 am 
Gamer
Gamer

:P i'm probably gonna get podded,.. i even forgot how to set up a warp route... :D oooh,.. nice nice BB3

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:45 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Langel wrote:
:P i'm probably gonna get podded,.. i even forgot how to set up a warp route... :D oooh,.. nice nice BB3

Stay in fed space as long as you can and you will be fine :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:04 pm 
Forum Roamer
Forum Roamer

Browsing through this thread I read some good ideas for the mentor program here is what I have to offer. I have noticed in other games that newbies get a set amount of time that no one can attack them in any way but the newbie cant attack anyone either. There are two ways to kill newb's and I try to refrain from doing them 1) To build and defend the sector the newbie is in to get a kill and 2) The newbie either doesnt defend the sector to take control of the sector or they dont set the sector laws to keep other players from putting defences in the sector or building in it. Just a couple of suggestions to mull around.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:58 am 
AA Trader
AA Trader

Here is another one... It is incredibly easy to avoid losing your first ship (Pioneer) when you first start on a server no matter what the other player rankings are or how long the game has been running. You can build the pioneers hull to level 139 (don't go to 140 yet) before having to worry about mines.

After getting to 139, navigate your way through fed space by way of warp link (NOT by realspace movement) until you find a white colored link that goes both ways. At this point you should have sensors and engines in the 130's to go along with level 139 hull. Scan that white two way link with long range scan several times and then go build your first planet there so that you can get anothr ship. Drop a couple mines and fighters, base the planet, and get your next ship which might only be a supercargo if th game has progressed pretty far. Basically just use supercargo for fed space and only a stealth when your ready for your first realspace expedition.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:09 pm 

There is a 100 players on the game right now. I go around and see a lot of players making bad and stupid mistakes. Mistakes I use to make till some one podded me so many times that they had to ask me WHY! I have podded a couple of them, destroyed a few planets of theres. In hopes they learn the hard way. I have also sent out a number of messages to these players giving advice and letting them know they can ask me a few questions if need be. The game really is more fun with the more skilled players you have in the game. As i am fairly new to main and their sites I am not fully aware of what they have going on to help new players, or if there is a little bit more of a detailed tutorial than the one that is provided with the game. It would be far easier and less time consuming if i could just send these players somewhere to do some reading. Writing numerous messages consumes time and with the new time in place(I am not complaining) people are more likely not go to spend a lot of their time helping these new players. I am willing to take a minute here and there to direct players somewhere for more in depth answers and willing to help them with the simple ones.I just need to know where i can find them!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:27 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

There is alot of information in the fed info port and the traders lounge. You are correct the more good players there are the more fun the game is. There are alot of starter mistakes being made that just a little reading might fix.

I've been kicking around the idea of doing a real wiki and only allow players that have actually played in games to post to avoid the spammers. We had a wiki before but it got spammed to death.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:57 pm 
AA Warrior
AA Warrior

What if you could just have a tag by a players name in the rankings if the wanted to be a mentor? Just like some thing under their name that said "mentor" so newer players would know they could ask that person questions.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:10 pm 

There is a fair bit of information at the port. Its all the little things people know that would make the difference. I do like Vals idea of having an insignia or a title beside the name. Plus any assigned mentor could hang out in the traders lobby and not have it count towards their time, if possible or easy to do. just an idea.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:30 pm 

How about opening the second server for training purposes. give the players more money and make things cheaper or grow faster. have it run for 3 or 4 weeks. something that is short and will give players a good start at playing on the main or any other server. I would sign up to be a mentor for some kind of training thing like that.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:15 am 
Forum Roamer
Forum Roamer

If someone sends a message to "Team: Generic" than everyone on that team recieves that message. Why not allow people with a Mentor tag to be considered part of 1 huge invisible team. Then when a message is sent to "Mentor" or something like that, every mentor recieves that message with all the rest of their messages. Only send it to the mentors that are online at a given time, that way players that are offline don't log on to see they have 15 new messages.

The counter to this, of course, is that if no mentor is online then the question goes unheard. Which is ridiculous.

There is an idea for a training server being batted around. I support that Idea and think that an excellent way for people to prove themselves as mentors would be to put some time in on the training server helping noobs. Then players could chose their own mentor by who has helped them in the training server and they could move to the main server together. Then add a section to the player profile (or AAT Resume, as I consider it) that says "Mentor to:".

You could list all the profiles of players that have been mentored by so and so. That would create a sort of AAT family tree. Generations of players and playing styles based on who has taught who. Not to mention the fact that it's hard to get people to help for free... people want recognition. Something like a special mentor insignia, or a list of players that have chosen you as their mentor would encourage even the laziest of players to start giving away their knowledge.

...you're welcome.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:18 pm 
AA Warrior
AA Warrior

I like Tonto's idea. Maybe if on mentor is online, the game randomly chooses one to send the message to. As far as a training server, I like the idea, but I don't think things should be any faster or any easier. Otherwise, players will not get a good feel for how fast things go on the main, and that could affect other things, like different strategies and all.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:17 am 

There is really no replacement for actual online game play in a real game. For me the idea of a training game, is thats its short. It gives the players the idea of how to build and defend and to what ships work best for any particular task. You don't want a 3 or 4 month training game. Get the newer players into the main game as quickly as possible. that way the can use the skills gained in the training game to get a good start playing. This game can get rough, difficult and frustrating for even more experienced players. I was fortunate when I started to get a couple of really good players to start teaching me fairly early on. Just spending a couple of hours with them made me a better player. I am still learning a few things from them every now and then. None of the teaching would have made any difference if I played a training game for a long period of time. Get them in and get them out, that should be the philosophy of a training server. Thats why i think there should be accelerated growth for planets in the training game.

In the Main game, is it possible to add a silver star next to the rank insignia or the players name? That would clearly identify those players willing to donate some of their time in helping players out with questions. I don't want players to be intimidated by me because of score, kills or anything else when it come to helping them out a little. I always try and help the little guy when they ask me a question. If something was in place to identify me as a person willing to do that, I may get asked a little more for help.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:50 pm 
Forum Roamer
Forum Roamer

I don't think just anybody should be allowed to be a mentor, which is why I suggested putting in a certain ammount of time in the training server. I think It might be cool to have 2 week rounds on a training server geared towards specific classes. Like an attacking class and adjust the starting values to maybe 3 trillion creds then have the mentors set up a base and teach the trainee's how to topple SD's, and planets and such.

Announce on the main page "Building class starts on the training server on june 6th" or something like that.

...you're welcome.

Page 2 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next