It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:22 am

The forum is READ ONLY. Please direct any future discussions to our Facebook page

Page 12 of 13 [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Newbies!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:47 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

LordRahl86 wrote:
Bah. I must wait longer?! After being killed in my own home sector? :mecry:

Rules to Live by:

#1 Buy a ship, Buy a pod.

#2 Sleep in fed space as long as you can

#3 If you must sleep out in the open, land on the planet and spend enough on the shields, beams and torps that a user will have to nova it to take you off it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:31 pm 
Developer
Developer

I guess we should say 3-4 days. :) It's really 3 days minimum but if you die just after the last purge then it can take almost 4 days. This is because the purge only happens ONCE a day.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:22 pm 
Forum Roamer
Forum Roamer

I accidentally traded in a colony port and now have a full cargo load of colonists.
No matter what I do I can't find anywhere that will take them off my hands. I don't have any planets and all the ports I visit either sell them, or only deal in the 4 main commodities.

At this stage I'd be happy to just jettison the bastards.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:01 pm 
AA Warrior
AA Warrior

lol, just put 'em on a planet and blow up the planet.

Go to Proxima Centari, buy two genesis torpedos (really cheap) use one in unchartered space that can sustain planets (has a sun), put the colonists on it, and then blow it up and you're good.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:25 pm 
Forum Roamer
Forum Roamer

Well I just abandoned the planet, but it took so many turns to get back to Sol afterwards. :(
I guess I've learned the hard way, but that wasn't very intuitive.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:55 pm 
AA Warrior
AA Warrior

You should have used warp links. That stuff is in the wiki, about warp links. I wrote that myself. They just take one turn both ways, and I also wrote about how to tell if there is a warp link back.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:25 pm 
Forum Roamer
Forum Roamer

There weren't any warp links anywhere. The grey sectors have no warp links back to where you warped from, but I was under the assumption that creating a planet so easily accessible would be a bad idea, so I deliberately chose an out of the way sector with no warp links whatsoever. Now I know that it's probably inconsequential, as larger engines cut your RS time to 1 turn for almost anywhere. I knew larger engines made a big impact on RS times, but quantifying it was impossible until I'd invested in them, and I couldn't make any more money to buy them with a cargo load of colonists.

I'm still not sure of how vital hiding your planets is and how to properly go about it. The concept of SG is still forming. As far as I understand it:

You can create your own planets in a sector up to the sector's maximum, you can create your own warp links to and from sectors, but only up to 3, and you can ?create your own sectors?... Players either capture or create their first planet, then later proceed to protect it by making the only accessible warp link lead to a mine filled sector, as a gateway into their bases. They fill the 3 available warp links for each sector with planets to create a sort of rabbit warren for their planets, which prevents anyone else linking in past the gateway.

I could be dead wrong there, but that's how I see it.

Theoretically, that makes sense to me. Sector locations in terms of the map would be arbitrary that way. So long as you're out of fed space, every sector is equally innocuous unless its undergone a name change. But I'm not sure if I'm missing anything. I keep finding uninhabited planets and claiming them, but I don't know if this is a bad idea. I don't even know where they are in relation to one another. Warp links would make spatial concerns null on the one hand, but to me it seems like, if all my planets were close in RS terms, that would be better, since if they're linked then someone stumbling upon one, would stumble upon all, and the tighter the bunch in RS terms, the less footprint I'm leaving across the game universe.

And if players can create their own sectors, what determines where the sector appears on the world map?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:54 am 

Its extremely important to hide your planets once you are in a position to start building heavily. In this game money is everything, It allows you to attack, explore and build in a cheaper and easier way. There is a conflicting view points on whether or not to build on a surface sector and start your SG lair under it. But as one of the more aggressive players this round I have found this to be a flawed system. When I have found an SG lair built under a surface sector it has lead to major problems for the person. My suggestion is this, find a sector that supports zero planets. In the sector you find like that make sure it has a lot of warp links in it. Use 2 to 3 sector genesis device and keep going down. Hopefully you have a sector that supports 3 to 5 planets that deep into the begining of your sg lair. Here is an example of what I mean.

Real space sector==>first sg sector==>second sg sector==>Start of SG Liar==>2nd level lair sector==>3rd Level lair sector

When you go from the start of lair to the second level fill the sector with as many links as you can, which will be 2 more links.
The same applies for the third level. 2 in each sector, so that means you need to create 4 in total.

Start of Sg lair - defend it as heavily as you can. start building here.
2nd level lair sector - Build and defend to the best you can afford. But from a sector scan a person can see those sector and may try to create a back door to your sg.
3rd Level lair sector - solves the problem of making a link to the 2nd level. Don't build in these sectors till you can add another layer of planets.

Also defend every sector of your lair, once again the best your credits will allow.
Dignitaries can become embezzlers, and can give your location away. Spies will give your planets location away. Thats why you never build at the ends of your lair.

Defending an sg is also very important. there are 3 things you need to upgrade in the planets upgrade menu to best protect your sector.
Sector defenses - Number of Fighters your sector can support. the more planets you have in a sector the easier it becomes.
Sector sensors - Detects enemy ships coming into your sector. It also increases the effectiveness of your fighters when protecting your sector.
Sector Cloak - Makes it harder for an Enemy or trespassing ship to scan your sector. Also reduces the effectiveness of the of the attacking ship trying to enter your sector.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:20 am 
AA Warrior
AA Warrior

MM gave some good tips, but I don't know if you understood all of them. I'm going to explain some of the basics you seem to have missed based on your last post.

Quote:
You can create your own planets in a sector up to the sector's maximum, you can create your own warp links to and from sectors, but only up to 3, and you can ?create your own sectors?... Players either capture or create their first planet, then later proceed to protect it by making the only accessible warp link lead to a mine filled sector, as a gateway into their bases. They fill the 3 available warp links for each sector with planets to create a sort of rabbit warren for their planets, which prevents anyone else linking in past the gateway.

First, the three warp link thing only applies to SG (man made) sectors. You can use warp editors to create almost all the links you need in a normal real space sector, but in an SG sector, these don't work. Instead, you have to use an SG torpedo. Links made with these in SG sectors CANNOT be deleted.

And again, yes, you can create your own sectors with SG torpedos. Your idea of gateway sectors is a little flawed. Here's the thing.

Man made (SG) sectors CANNOT be moved into any way other than the warp link, and there are only as many warp links into it as you make (probably one). That means they must go through that one sector to get into your SG. However, I don't suggest defending this sector. The more inconspicuous you make that sector, the less likely anyone will find you.

Inside an SG sector, it works like a tree. You can branch out with other SG sectors, and create a bottlenecked SG sector. As MM explained, you can defend one sector extremely well, and for someone to get to your planets, they must go through this sector since you have to use the warplinks to get to the other secotrs; you can't use your engines for SG sectors.

Quote:
Sector locations in terms of the map would be arbitrary that way. So long as you're out of fed space, every sector is equally innocuous unless its undergone a name change.

Yep, that's the idea to hiding. And that's why you shouldn't make your own names for your SG sectors unless you know what you're doing. I find it best just to take the random name, though some people come up with normal looking, inconspicuous sector names with an organizational system coded into them. I don't do that.

Quote:
I keep finding uninhabited planets and claiming them, but I don't know if this is a bad idea.

Usually, you only take a planet if you have plans for it. Just having planets for the sake of having them doesn't do you any good. They clutter up your planetary reports page with a bunch of 0s and then when someone else comes along and takes them, you get your name in the news for losing a planet you never even cared about :P

Quote:
I don't even know where they are in relation to one another.

Yeah, the map system in this game isn't very developed, but on the other hand, it really isn't very important either. If you want them to be close, it's easy to check how many turns away from each other they are with your engines (put the sector name in the box mid height on the right of your screen and press the ? button).

Quote:
but to me it seems like, if all my planets were close in RS terms, that would be better, since if they're linked then someone stumbling upon one, would stumble upon all, and the tighter the bunch in RS terms, the less footprint I'm leaving across the game universe.

Pre-SG, that's sound reasoning, but once you get an SG going, all that disappears. No one will be able to just hop into any of your sectors with planets with an SG. They first have to get lucky enough to find the ONE sector that links to your SG, and then they have to follow the correct link, and then, since they have to get through one sector to get to the rest of your planets, you can put all the money you'd normally spend on defending many sectors into that one, to make it extremely difficult to get through.

Speaking of that, I don't defend every sector in my SG like MM just suggested. I think that destroys the point of an SG. If they can get through your first sector, the war's just about already lost, because they can probably get through the rest. I just load up my first sector as big as I can with sector defenses.

Just something adding on at the end, that I probably could have put in earlier for clarity, you can think of SG sectors as their own little universe, with only one way of getting to them.

Also, there are other ways of protecting your SG and making hard to find. Using your nav computer, once you get good fighter bays (probably not worth it before 300 or so) you can go around looking for nav routes to your gate sector. Then, once you've found some, you can delete the warplinks in the second to last sector to your gate sector with a warp editor. That reduces the chances that an attacker randomly warping around in search of a victim will stumble upon you. And remember, even if someone does find your gate, all is not lost, as long as they happen not to warp into your SG.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:59 am 
Forum Roamer
Forum Roamer

After some more experimenting and playing and so forth I've finally got some more questions for y'all. :p

First, the technical stuff:

Can anyone confirm the planet credit production formula with me?
c = Credits
m = Max Credits
P = Population
C = Credit Production Percentage
M = Credit Production Multiplier

M = (c/m)*100
c = ((P/10)*C)*M

There's a planet credit production rate figure in the game settings which I don't think I've accounted for in this formula, but I'll be damned if I can figure out where it'd go.

Also, can anyone tell me the capacity settings for planets? I.e. do tech level increases for fighter bays/torps increase the max amount of fighters/torps a planet holds by the same level as ships?

Thanks to Roin's Ship Tech pricing guide I've started working on a planetary Tech levels price/capacity guide, and a planetary production tracker. I'm also throwing in calculations for required energy to power fighters/shields per attack for planets.

Just on the topic of planet production, how many colonists do you normally go for? I've been making endless trips to try to beef up my colonist levels since the birth rate seems kinda low. It's super easy if you can put create planets in a sector with a colonist port in a warp link or in the sector, but other than that I keep telling myself there has to be an easier way. how important is it to get a lot of colonists on your planets and how many do you recommend going for to start with?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:37 am 

Honestly, I usually just drop 20 million colonists on my planets to start with and use Dignitaries to increase the birthrate. To combat the risk of them becoming embezzlers, while I am in my colonization stage, I don't produce any credits until I make it to at least 1 billion colonists naturally. Then I remove the dignitaries and start them producing credits, usually ~70% of the population is devoted to it.

It's hard to pin down the exact calculation without knowing it first hand, simply because the closer you are to 100% max credits, the faster they will produce. So what I do initially is let them produce to 100% max on their own, and upgrade their techs until they are now at ~90% max credits, and repeat. They should gain that 10% pretty fast.

This required you to pay a lot of attention to your planets, and if you can't, you can raise the average level of your planets 5 levels, which will bring it down to around 75% of their max. They'll gain slower at first, but if their is a decent sized gap between when you upgrade and when you next check, their is a less likely chance that you've wasted time at 100%.

Once you have a decent amount of money, you can choose to supply your new planets with their first 100%, just to get them producing faster, which I do now. Initially I started them at level 150, but at this point I can afford to start at 200. It's a system that has worked pretty well for me so far. Even without knowing the actual calculations, it's fine.

The only calculation I paid much attention to as far as planets go, is the max colonists calculation. If you let your population get too high, they could revolt, which is a pain in the ass.

peace,
CR

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:51 pm 
Forum Roamer
Forum Roamer

I figured the percent to max credits affected the multiplier. If I run on that assumption I won't be too far wrong, I just wanted to chuck it in the wiki and I don't want to misquote it.

Thanks for the tip on max colonists. I've been pumping my planets up close to their max to get the best production boost and figured they wouldn't naturally overcolonise. I'll keep a closer tab on that in future.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:12 pm 
Forum Roamer
Forum Roamer

Aaaand now it's down to 17 colonists. Damn me not making them enough food. :lol:

Just a question about SD. The fighters/torps my planets produce are only used in protecting the planet from attack and don't contribute to SD, right? I have to manually transfer fighters/torps to my ship then deploy them as fighters/mines in my sector to create SD and stop other players entering my turf.

But I find I have to make tons of trips to get a decent SD... Is there a quick way to do this? I just spent 15 minutes to-ing and fro-ing within the one sector. It's a nightmare when I want a decent minefield in a sector I don't own. I figure getting a ship with a bigger capacity for fighters/torps might be the go, but I can't really afford it at the moment.
Is there a shortcut to making SD?
How about transferring colonists between planets in a sector?

Also, could someone give me a hint with autoroutes? I keep making routes that start and end in the same sector, and whenever I try to add on to it it just tells me there's no link.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:20 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

InstinctSage wrote:
Aaaand now it's down to 17 colonists. Damn me not making them enough food. :lol:

Just a question about SD. The fighters/torps my planets produce are only used in protecting the planet from attack and don't contribute to SD, right? I have to manually transfer fighters/torps to my ship then deploy them as fighters/mines in my sector to create SD and stop other players entering my turf.

But I find I have to make tons of trips to get a decent SD... Is there a quick way to do this? I just spent 15 minutes to-ing and fro-ing within the one sector. It's a nightmare when I want a decent minefield in a sector I don't own. I figure getting a ship with a bigger capacity for fighters/torps might be the go, but I can't really afford it at the moment.
Is there a shortcut to making SD?

Nope, no shortcuts, we figure that there should be risk associated with dropping SD. So the easiest way to move tons of fighters and torps is to upgrade your fighter and torp levels.
InstinctSage wrote:
How about transferring colonists between planets in a sector?

You can create a planet to planet trade route to move colonists, you can also move fighters and torps from planet to planet.

Quote:
Also, could someone give me a hint with autoroutes? I keep making routes that start and end in the same sector, and whenever I try to add on to it it just tells me there's no link.

[/quote]

I usually write down the path I want to take from starter sector to end sector. Then I open the Nav computer and start from the second sector and click on the links and it wll build the nav route back for you.

An easier way is if you have large enough FB levels on your ship is to use the automatic option where you type in your destination sector and it will find the route in between, but there are limits on the number of sectors between the start and destination. (this is due to the strain it puts on the system)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:04 pm 
Trial
Trial

NOOB NEEDS MENTOR BADLY! :)

Page 12 of 13 [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next