It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:28 am

The forum is READ ONLY. Please direct any future discussions to our Facebook page

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: New Probes!!!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:14 pm 
Developer
Developer

We are adding a new probe today and possibly one more before the release of 0.31.

SG Sector Search Probe

This is one of the more powerful probes in the game and a little difficult to launch.

The SG Sector Search Probe will only move through SG Sectors. It will completely avoid ALL real space sectors. You can't even program one in a real space sector. This probe MUST be dropped into an SG Sector and then programmed. Once dropped you will need to upgrade the probes sensors so it can map the SG area and the cloak to avoid detection. The probe will keep track of every sector it visits in the SG area. When it comes to a sector it will only pick warp links to sectors it hasn't visited yet. If all of the warp links in a sector lead to visited sectors it will randomly pick a link to travel. Eventually the probe will map out every sector in the SG Pocket. When the probe enters a sector it will immediately scan the sector and report all information it finds to the owners Probe Log. The probe will not detect ships entering the sector and can only scan after it has moved. You can click on the View link when viewing your probe list to get a real time scan of the sector it is currently located.

If you want to drop this probe into an enemy SG Pocket you will have to either bust through the gateway sector defenses or use a cloaked Stealth to enter the sector so you can drop the probe and then program it and upgrade the sensors and cloak.

Edit: New probe below.

We have added the last probe before we make the release of 0.31 this weekend.

Probe Hunter Probe

This is a new probe designed to seek out and destroy every single probe it can find. Unlike a Hunter or Trap probe this one does not blow up to destroy enemy probes. It mounts a small beam weapon with just enough power to destroy a probe. You should increase the Sensor Tech level of the probe so it can detect cloaked enemy probes. If you want your probe to hide you should increase the cloak tech. The probe will not attack your own probes or probes owned by team members.

This probe has two modes of operation, Stationary and Roaming. A Stationary Probe Hunter Probe will just sit in the sector waiting for any probes to enter. A Roaming Probe Hunter Probe will use warp links to search the Galaxy for enemy probes to destroy. This probe uses Warp Links to travel around the galaxy looking for enemy probes so the engines do not need to be increased and can be left at 0.

There is a chance your probe will get too close to the probe it is attacking and get destroyed in the resulting explosion. There are notifications for both probe owners letting them know where the attack happened, who attacked and the type of probe that was destroyed.

Post subject: Re: New Probes!!!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:22 pm 
AA Warrior
AA Warrior

Scary! I might suggest a small change to make the probe a little more efficient: instead of picking a random sector after all warps in the sector have been visited, I would make it automatically follow the warp leading toward RS (the <=>) This way, it will warp back toward RS until it finds the first fork it missed, and then it'll go explore that, and repeat the process. This is a much surer way to get the whole SG quickly.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:52 pm 
Developer
Developer

Check the main message for the latest probe added to the Main Game. :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:50 pm 
Gamer
Gamer

I have been finding Fake out fed sectors on my maps.... Tonight when I found one I was sober so I knew it was for real this time...In the past I would RS to the Fed Space Sector and hit mines and inthe sector it reads as RS and not FS, but when you warp back to see the sector on the map it is Fed Space...

http://i33.tinypic.com/f087pt.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:55 pm 
Developer
Developer

I checked it out with more than one ship and every time it never looked like a fed sector. Before and after moving to the sector. So I don't know what is happening on your end but with your examples I haven't been able to see it. I even used your account (I mirror the DB on my home server so I can log in as anyone without altering the main game) and it didn't show as a federation sector. :shrug:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:21 pm 
Gamer
Gamer

Panama Jack wrote:
I checked it out with more than one ship and every time it never looked like a fed sector. Before and after moving to the sector. So I don't know what is happening on your end but with your examples I haven't been able to see it. I even used your account (I mirror the DB on my home server so I can log in as anyone without altering the main game) and it didn't show as a federation sector. :shrug:

I tried again and it still shows as a fed sector on my map...Hmmm
As the paranoia sets in wondering how? Hmmm I will try Explorer....then my friends computer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:22 pm 
Gamer
Gamer

Lucky Starr wrote:
Panama Jack wrote:

I tried again and it still shows as a fed sector on my map...Hmmm
As the paranoia sets in wondering how? Hmmm I will try Explorer....then my friends computer

Ok... I have encounter 2 new Fed Space Fake Out Sectors and both of them had links to Fed space but they them selfs were RS sectors... My premature conclusion is: a sector with a link to Fed Space will show up as a fed space sector on the maps.

Just hit anougher fake out Fed Sector and it too has a link to Fed space....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:05 am 
Forum Roamer
Forum Roamer

The Federation is on the move! They're taking over!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:50 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Prob bug. I get this when I enter a sector with a probe:

Fatal error: Call to a member function on a non-object in /home/www/aatrade_springfieldnet/globals/move_player_finish.inc on line 40

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:48 pm 
AA Warrior
AA Warrior

Hey, I just found one of those fake fed sectors too. So it's not just Lucky.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]