It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:38 am

The forum is READ ONLY. Please direct any future discussions to our Facebook page

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: New Website Design and Features!!!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:33 pm 
Developer
Developer

We are proud to announce a whole new look to the website as you can already see. :D Now there are some rough edges. Everything does work just fine if you are using Opera as your web browser. If you are using IE, Safari or Firefox most things work as they should but there might be some formatting problems.

Ironically it is Firefox 2 and 3 that are giving the most problems right now. For some reason Firefox2/3 will fail to load the CSS style sheet sometimes and you will need to refresh the page. I am working on that oddity as well as testing everything in the other browsers. And NO we are not going to test and support the new Google Chrome browser. It is still beta and probably will be for a very, very long time if past Google Betas are any indication.

There some neat new features on the sidebars that are totally Ajax driven.

You can mouse over any name in the Top 10 Blogs and a window will open showing the last blog the person posted. If you mouse over the name in the Latest Blogs a window will open showing the blog the person just posted. If you mouse over a name in the Blog Comments you will see all of the comments for that blog listed in reverse date order. If you mouse over the name of a player in the New Signups and New Profiles a window will open showing the profile page for that player. All of the controls now have mouse overs that will give information about what the button does.

The last Ajax item is on the New Signups. If you mouse over the Server Name a window will open showing the Ranking Page from that server. It will give you instant access to see who is playing on any server listed.

There are still a few pages that need to be changed to fit the new style of the site. Two of them are Reading Private Messages page and the Server List. The Server List is using the old style display for now as I haven't quite figured out what I want to do with it yet. :)

So enjoy the new look of the site. Almost everything is a CSS layout. There are only a few pages that still have a little Table usage but they will be going away over the next week or two.

We have also thrown out the old Chat software and installed a completely new Chat Package that should fix all of the problems people have had in the past.

Enjoy and let me know about any odd things you may run into.

Post subject: Re: New Website Design and Features!!!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:08 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

New site ROCKS!! However the chat is throwing an XML error.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:58 am 
AA Warrior
AA Warrior

lol, Google's video search is still beta!

I'm using Chrome, but there're no problems to speak of, so no worries. I can understand you not wanting to hassle with supporting a new browser. As far as I can see, it doesn't need supporting.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:22 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Valience wrote:
lol, Google's video search is still beta!

I'm using Chrome, but there're no problems to speak of, so no worries. I can understand you not wanting to hassle with supporting a new browser. As far as I can see, it doesn't need supporting.

Chrome has a GAPING security flaw. It allows programs to be downloaded to your computer without your permission (Virus's, trojans etc etc) I would only use on sites you trust till they fix that. Otherwise, you get to do the famouse format and reload your system ;)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:54 pm 
AA Warrior
AA Warrior

Hmm.. good to know someone who programs then. I was unaware. I don't go on any unknown sites really though, just you guys, hotmail, wikipedia, and youtube mostly.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:22 pm 
Trial
Trial

Tarnus wrote:
Chrome has a GAPING security flaw. It allows programs to be downloaded to your computer without your permission (Virus's, trojans etc etc) I would only use on sites you trust till they fix that. Otherwise, you get to do the famouse format and reload your system ;)

Can't you also boot in Linux off of a hard drive partition or a live disc/usb? From there you could probably at least recover some important files before you reformat. From what I recall after reading about it, there does need to be some interaction on the part of you the computer user before malicious files can be downloaded. But I've got anti-virus so I'm clearly impervious, I mean that game download labeled DOwnLOaD_meNAo_Im_LEGIT!!!1!.exe seemed to be safe anyway :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:27 am 
Developer
Developer

Nope, there are ways to download and execute files through a browser like IE without any interaction from the user. Just visiting a site with malicious code is enough to infect your system. Other browsers like Opera and Firefox have pretty much eliminated that possibility. It doesn't surprise me about Chrome having a hole in the security. Actually I would be surprised if a bunch of holes AREN'T found. It's an immature browser developed by a team that doesn't have much experience in this area yet.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:59 am 
Forum Roamer
Forum Roamer

It's funny that they tried to say "Hey, we're right next door to Mozilla so we know what we're doing!" and claiming the tab process separation stuff made things safer.
I just found it couldn't load sites a third of the time and I got tired of refreshing.
Firefox 3 pretty much has everything it did now, too. Aside from the whole welcome page dealie, but considering I can either open up my regular sites via quick launch style buttons or set them to open on startup it hardly matters.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:58 am 
AA Warrior
AA Warrior

Hey, I just thought I'd make a little suggestion:

Maybe if you don't have anything else to do (though I'm sure you do) it'd be cool if you got around to making a blog template that corresponded to the main site template, just like the default corresponds to the old main site look.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]