It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:34 pm

The forum is READ ONLY. Please direct any future discussions to our Facebook page

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Main Game to reset every 3 months...
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:30 pm 
Developer
Developer

Tarnus and I have decided the main game should reset every three months. This will offer new players a chance to start off fresh with everyone else and experience a new game right from the start.

The other reason is so players can have more entries in their profiles. :D This means a player can have a minimum of 4 player game profile entries a year instead of the maybe one a year we have had in the past.

We are making changes to the reset code in the game so admins can select a reset interval. The game will then close, send the profile data to the profile server, then rebuild the game and re-open it.

This way the admin won't have to manage anything. Just set it and forget it.

Post subject: Re: Main Game to reset every 3 months...
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:30 pm 
AA Warrior
AA Warrior

Oh, man, I don't like that. That's just not long enough. I really enjoy the later stages of the game, and now it's never gonna get that far. I mean, the ship class of excelsior is going to become entirely pointless now. I don't know...

I acknowledge a few vitures, but I really like the longer games. After three months, players are just beginning to get into the groove of things. The big guys are only beginning to get established, and it gives everyone else no time to take them out of power.

Whatever... This is really going to change the game. I don't like it, but my opinion isn't the only one that matters. There might be some people that like this.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:40 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Panama Jack wrote:
Tarnus and I have decided the main game should reset every three months. This will offer new players a chance to start off fresh with everyone else and experience a new game right from the start.

The other reason is so players can have more entries in their profiles. :D This means a player can have a minimum of 4 player game profile entries a year instead of the maybe one a year we have had in the past.

We are making changes to the reset code in the game so admins can select a reset interval. The game will then close, send the profile data to the profile server, then rebuild the game and re-open it.

This way the admin won't have to manage anything. Just set it and forget it.

Well there is always the possibility of adding a slight production increase to offset the less amount of time. And with a 3 month game we may have to do that. Its either that or we have 2 games. Course I barely have time to play one of em. On the bright side you will always know when the next round is.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:59 pm 
AA Warrior
AA Warrior

The increased production is a good idea. I might go for that. The 2 game thing is a great idea, but it might be hard on your servers or bandwith or whatever... right? If that's not an issue, and you guys are up to admining two games at once, which I can really sympathize with, I'm all for it. That'd be great.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:23 pm 
Trial
Trial

I think it's a good idea if you increase production so that we can still actually do something, but without the production increase I really don't like this idea. Also you should let the current round continue on for a month or 2 longer, but I'm guessing you want to reset it now so that it ends on the new year right?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:31 pm 
Developer
Developer

You got it. :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:58 pm 
AA Mega-Trader
AA Mega-Trader

Don't forget to allow (-13hrs) for those of us that lead the rest of the world in the time zone. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:44 pm 
Developer
Developer

BAH!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:29 am 
AA Warrior
AA Warrior

Oh, something that crossed my mind:

If people are going to make money faster, they're going to get bigger SD faster, so they're going to need energy faster. An energy port next door to their gate is good, since they can use power to transport the energy, and with more money they can get more power, but if they don't have this and have to rely on planetary production (something not very feasible to begin with because of how slow they produce), planets really need to produce energy faster.

And one other note: the way this game works, the more money a person has, the faster they get more. This means that a player's net worth, and therefore score, grow exponentially. So, if you want people to reach the same score in half the time (the same thing as twice the score in the same time), you need to do more than double how fast they make money; you need to square it. Now I know it's not just one variable that determines how fast they make money. So you need to increase how lucrative trading and building are, more than just double it or triple it.

Just something to keep in mind.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:17 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Valience wrote:
Oh, something that crossed my mind:

If people are going to make money faster, they're going to get bigger SD faster, so they're going to need energy faster. An energy port next door to their gate is good, since they can use power to transport the energy, and with more money they can get more power, but if they don't have this and have to rely on planetary production (something not very feasible to begin with because of how slow they produce), planets really need to produce energy faster.

And one other note: the way this game works, the more money a person has, the faster they get more. This means that a player's net worth, and therefore score, grow exponentially. So, if you want people to reach the same score in half the time (the same thing as twice the score in the same time), you need to do more than double how fast they make money; you need to square it. Now I know it's not just one variable that determines how fast they make money. So you need to increase how lucrative trading and building are, more than just double it or triple it.

Just something to keep in mind.

You forget we have done this for a while. Don't forget we have made settings for tourneys where games last 2 weeks. Making one last 3 months isnt going to be any different. Those 2 week tourney games never seemed to have trouble with the energy settings, I don't expect a 3 month game will. Your just wanting to be able to drop a bill fighters in a sector faster, don't expect that to be any easier.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:09 pm 
AA Warrior
AA Warrior

Hehe, I confess, I toyed with the idea this round, but was forced to give it up.

I think the day before the game ends, when there's no time for me to be hit left, I'm going to do it and take a screen shot, but with energy, it's not very practical.

But that wasn't the motivation behind the last post. I was just pointing out a fact that you all should keep in mind. I don't presume that you don't already realize it, but just in case...

And I don't recall you having any tournies since the change to how energy works, but I could certainly be mistaken. But ok, I was just posting something that came to mind, in the hope that it might prove helpful ;)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:10 pm 

How`s about upping our turns to, say, 10,000 instead of 8,000. Consider it a little compensation for a shorter game.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:04 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jonner wrote:
How`s about upping our turns to, say, 10,000 instead of 8,000. Consider it a little compensation for a shorter game.

Bah! 8000, I rarely use all my turns. Ya just gotta play efficiently ;) There will be other things put in place for compensation ;)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:25 pm 
AA Trader
AA Trader

Is there any concern about a massive attack frenzy during the last minutes of the game?
It seems that whoever can stay logged into the game during those last few hours would likely do the best.
And with spots at a premium, retaliation could very well not occur to those lucky enough to get spots.
Effectively they could be locking out players that could tag them back...

Perhaps have a random attacking cut-off sometime before the final timer?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:04 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kwae Zar wrote:
Is there any concern about a massive attack frenzy during the last minutes of the game?
It seems that whoever can stay logged into the game during those last few hours would likely do the best.
And with spots at a premium, retaliation could very well not occur to those lucky enough to get spots.
Effectively they could be locking out players that could tag them back...

Perhaps have a random attacking cut-off sometime before the final timer?

Well if its a frenzy to attack and get bounties they will find themselves taken out of the game with all the bounty changes. That is why we dropped the limits. They can still get them but may find they are shipless and flying a pioneer at the end of the game.

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next