It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 12:01 am

The forum is READ ONLY. Please direct any future discussions to our Facebook page

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:52 pm 
AA Trader
AA Trader

King wrote:
I'm a fan of planet interest (no wonder - still playing an upgrade version of BNT) and I must admit that's something i really miss at AAT. I played 0,14 version one year ago and I remember exactly the same as fakecajun describes - never ending fights, falls and comebacks.. and one thing I miss...it's colonization...in BNT a could own 200planets...and now ? Why should I build so many planets when I have to upgrade each of them for so many credits ? Dont tell me it's possible to make money back from planet that costs 1T credits ??

Oh my... not this again. I played Bnt with the planet interest and in that type of game if you "fall" your not comming back period... atleast not against average players or better.I also don't want to hear about alliances helping you with this comeback cause anyone higher ranked at all can keep a whole alliance down by themselves... atleast i could. :) You can still own as many planets aas you want in AAT. The planets are only suppoed to be upgraded to higher levels as you go along.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:26 pm 
Developer
Developer

King wrote:
Tarnus wrote:
You all were extremely spoiled with the never ending interest of BNT and old .14. Makes the game too easy. In fact with BNT IGB interest alone I managed to play their main game and hold top 10 for weeks and I did absolutely nothing. What fun is that.

I don't know what BNT you played but igb interest was almost none, so I really don't know how did you manage to hold so long TOP 10. And if you think you just give your money on the planet and you will win, you are wrong again. Yeah, I can play just trading and having money on one single planet but still there will be many players in front of me (thanks to colonization) who would cause me many sleepless nights because they could easily take my "home"...
..and it's not about being spoiled, it's about having one more way how to play the game.

If the interest was almost none then that was not a normal/default setup for BNT. The IGB interest per turn in BNT is normally 10% and planet interest per turn is 5%.

You have to remember that we started playing BNT quite a few years ago. Both Tarnus and I have been heavy game players for many years. A couple of decades for me. :D

I have also been involved with creating computer games just about as long and have a lot of experience when it comes to balancing game play and seeing the pitfalls many suggestions can cause if implemented.

Back to BNT...

With BNT's standard setup you will make DOUBLE the interest you would make on a planet. The interest is computed every 2 turns and the more money you have in the bank the faster you gain money.

Most players would dump money from their planets into the IGB to protect it. It would never go away. No planet disasters to reduce it. If you lost a planet you had nothing to worry about because the money was safe from harm. Players who just had an IGB account and no planets could just as easily reach top spot without playing the game. We watched it happen on MANY games hosted by many different people. When we hosted BNT we could easily verify this by checking the database. Many players would never upgrade their ship over average tech of 8 so they could always hide in sector 0. If they had any planets they would log in maybe every couple of days to clean credits from their planets and store them in the bank. No work at all. If they lost a planet no big deal. They build a replacement and seed it with a few credits and colonists and it will have paid for itself in a few HOURS at most.

With the way the interest was structured in BNT the players with the most money would never be touchable because the interest would increase their credits exponentially based upon how many they had. Basically if you were the first in the game and spent just a couple of hours to get established you were basically set. You only needed to log in every few days to consolidate cash.

The really aggressive players wouldn't care about hiding in sector 0. They would constantly increase their ship. Then they would side sector search to map out all sectors. That was easy to do in most BNT games since many were only 2000 sectors or less. Then they would wait for new players to join and follow them around mapping where they built their planets. They would wait until the new player reached the end of their Newbie Nice period by watching the turns used in the ranking. Once the new players were nolonger protected by the newbie nice the top players would take their planets. So what if they never attacked the low ranked players ship. They could consistently take the new players planets and prevent them from ever getting anywhere. They would effectively lockout all new players. And with such small galaxies and the fact you would realspace anywhere in one turn with such small engines it was EASY for the first players in the game to lockout later players.

BNT was about as flawed as you could get when it comes to game balance.

The interest system in BNT made it completely useless for anyone to start playing the game if it had been running for even a couple of days. There was absolutely no way any new player could ever hope to catchup to or bring down a player banking their cash.

King wrote:
An about planets...lets just say i wanna create a new planet...but because players have already ships around 30lvl i would have to upgrade it to 28 or something like that, right (don't know the combat system well) ? So how many credits do I have to invest ? And how much will that planet earn to me ? ...maybe it will repay in a week..maybe more...but then some guy comes and nukes my planet...ou, more than 1T lost...what a pity...but never mind, lets go invest more money....??

I don't say the whole "planet upgrade system" is bad...but i think it needs some correction

That's mostly WRONG as the combat system is completely different from BNT. The combat system was a 100% from the ground up rewrite.

You are thinking the game is like BNT. With BNT your planet's defenses were based upon the tech levels of your ship. That was one of the STUPIDEST things I have seen in game design. Basically it was a lazy way to do planet defenses.

With the 0.30 code it costs a lot less to upgrade your planet. A level 30 upgrade for a planet is going to cost a lot less than a level 30 upgrade for a ship.

Also, unlike BNT the higher ranked players cannot attack lower ranked players without getting a huge bounty that makes attacking the lower ranked players a huge credit drain. In other words you end up losing score by attacking them while getting locked out of ports. What this means is that the low ranked players are protected from the opportunistic high ranked players. If you are of a similar rank as the attacker and haven't upgraded your planets enough so they can defend themselves then you deserve whatever you get from an attack.

This game is not BNT and never will be like BNT so cannot be played like BNT.

King wrote:
and BTW "more credits you have on the planet (closer to planet max) more credits you earn"...that you wouldn't call interest ??? :)

No it's not interest but a bonus that is the SAME for everyone based upon how many colonists are devoted to producing credits.

You could have a planet with 10 billion credits on it, with 90% population and only 1% of the population devoted to credit production.

You could have another planet with 1 billion credits on it, with 90% population and 50% of the colonists devoted to credit production.

The planet with 1 billion credits will end up making MORE credits per turn than the planet with 10 billion credits. If you had a similar setup under BNT the planet with 10 billion credits would ALWAYS make more credits than the 1 billion credit planet. Just because you have more credits on a planet doesn't mean you will make more credits.

In our game the money your planets make is not based upon the number of credits on the planet but the number of colonists on the planet you have devoted to making more credits.

Take two planets with 100 million colonists and the SAME tech levels. Set the colonists creating credits to 30% on both planets. Now place 10 million on one planet and ZERO credits on the other planet.

Both planets will make the SAME amount of credits every update.

The amount of credits on the planet has absolutely nothing to do with how many credits a planet makes. The amount of credits a planet creates is based upon how many colonists you have devoted to making credits and how close the population is to the planets maximum population.

Plus a planet can only hold so much money based upon the planets average tech level. Once you hit the maximum amount of money the planet can store your credit production will stop. This is why most people consolidate their money onto their ship and clean out their planets.

Just remember this is not BNT and never will be BNT.

Last edited by Panama Jack on Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:30 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
I dont know what BNT you played but igb interest was almost none,

It was the main game at the bnt sight, yes there is little interest but it compounds. All you have to do is drop your money in the bank sit in sector 0 and wait. Evenetually your score will maxout just wait. If you doubt me, try it. TOO EASY! If you actually play BNT you risk loseing. Interest helps no one... go look at theier game one the top player burened 1 turn. How did he get number 1 with 1 turn...INTEREST. And since the score are maxed all he has to do is use a character name with a symbol attached and whalah, number one spot with out doing a thing.

Quote:
An about planets...lets just say i wanna create a new planet...but because players have already ships around 30lvl i would have to upgrade it to 28 or something like that, right (dont know the combat system well) ? So how many credits do I have to invest ? And how much will that planet earn to me ? ...maybe it will repay in a week..maybe more...but then some guy comes and nukes my planet...ou, more than 1T lost...what a pity...but never mind, lets go invest more money....?? and btw "more credits you have on the planet (closer to planet max) more credits you earn"...that you wouldn't call interest ??? :)

You really havent played the game much.

You can only be attacked by players within your similar score range, unless your alignment goes good or evil. Or a team mate is way high in the ranks, then the bounty system is based on THAT player. You can smooth sail playing at your level against similar players without fear of an attack. We designed it this way, because of the fact a small player could never gain anything and would always be looking over his shoulder.

Credits are earned based on what a planets colonists produce. If all your collonists are producing energy, goods and ore etc, you will not earn a single credit on that planet. Even if you have put credits on it, it will remain steady at no income. Put colonists to work on credits, you make credits.

Those credits will get a BONUS (NOT INTEREST) of up to 3X nornal setting, I think I got the main set at 5X

So a planet earning 100K on a planet that has no credits on it will earn 500K if the credits on the planet are near max. I don't know where anyone can call THAT interest.

I'm gonna say this again and hopefully it will be the last time. AATRADE IS NOT BNT in fact the only reason that it plays similar is we started with a fork of the code. At this point is is so far different than BNT that is seriously hard to compare the two, not do I want to any more. But as I said before interst skews the game in favor of larger players and you will never see it in aatrade again. Its all about balance and with interest the larger player gets bigger at a logorithmic rate and really has to do nothing, while th smaller player can't ever beat him. In aatrade there is always a way to take the top guy out of his spot. You can't hide your money. The most you can hide is that 100bill max credits that are in the IGB, everything else is wide open for players to take, ships planets and all. Kind of like real life ;)

Man I'm usually not this cranky ;) I blame PJ he hasnt fixed my sector nova yet! ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:45 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I was a little cranky yesterday so I may have come off a little iritated. We get these same questions about once every few months from players that played bnt and then moved to our game. We want to be a far cry different than other games. We want planets to have value yet we also want no one 100% protected. .30 is the beginning of the answer. There will be things more valuable that credits as research and build come into play. Conquest maybe the key for players to get techmolgies they do not want to take the time to build.

.30 begins the era of sleepless nights. If someone finds your main home and you have no other planets you may find your self pennyless and in SOl wondering what happened, you may have been the number one player and a team came in and cleaned house.

Balance is the key, balance the builders and give them ways to defend themselves. .21 presented a problem where once you had a base compromised there was no way to defend it. A player could go around cloaking sectors and take the planets without fear of SD retribution. They could nova the outside sectors down to a point they could attack and run the defences to nithing . (as soon as we get some of the nva code fixed) This will not be as easily done. Just remember .30 is the beginning. There are many cool things comin, we have brainstorm sessions all the time and have a huge list of features we want to see in the game.

Your more than welcome to download the code and make changes and run your own game as you see fit. Many have done and continue to do this. We have our own oppinions on how we want our game to run.

Feel free to ask questions, make suggestions and join in the fun. We don't always use them, but sometimes someone suggests something that knocks our socks off and we use it.

Good luck.

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2