It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:23 am

The forum is READ ONLY. Please direct any future discussions to our Facebook page

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Two suggestions for additions
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:05 pm 

I have two suggestions for the main game. Well, im not sure if the first one is a suggestion or reminder.

#1 - I have worked hard to get my "Evil" ranking in the main game, when I drop a couple thousand mines into random sectors I get reminded how "Evil" I am by the nicely red colored word under the number of mines. But, when I go back to my planets the word "Evil" looks exactly the same as "Neutral" or even dare I say "Good". Could we get the same coloring under the planets as we do for Sector defenses? I attached a screen shot to give an example.

#2 - This one is a bit more interesting. Planet Towing. As in moving a planet from one sector to another. How many times have you had a decent planet but then realized you put it in a crappy sector and have to start all over?

The cost to move an entire planet would be very hefty indeed. The engines you need would be based off of the average tech level of the planet. Maybe, 1.5 times the avg tech level of the planet with a minimum of 150 engine levels to move any planet. So, a planet with avg tech levels 0-100 would take 150 engines to tow, but, a planet with an avg tech level of 300 would take 450 engines to tow.

In addition it would take 10 times the normal amount of turns to tow the planet, so, if you wanted to move the planet through a warp link it would take 10 turns, or, if you wanted to real space the planet to a sector 12 turns away, it would take 120 turns.

Finally, it would take REAL TIME to tow the planet, and while you were towing the planet you would be unable to defend your self from attacks. For example, if you wanted to move a planet from sector A through sectors B and C using warp links and place the planet at sector D, It would take one game update timer per warp and to prepare the planet for towing and to release the planet. So it would take 5 minutes to prepare the planet and take the first warp link to B, then it would take 5 minutes to go through the link from B to C, then another 5 minutes to go from C to D, and finally 5 minutes to release the planet from your Spacehaul trailer.

During that time you would be completely open to attack, you could not outmaneuver an attack, nor could you Ewarp away due to the huge planet you are towing. The penalty for getting blown up during towing could be as little as your planet sits in that sector waiting for you to come tow it away or your planet could get blown up in the crossfire.

Attachments:
File comment: Notice the coloring of the word "Evil"
Evil.png
Evil.png [ 23.94 KiB | Viewed 4879 times ]

Post subject: Re: Two suggestions for additions
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:35 pm 
Developer
Developer

An interesting idea. In the original Tradewars you could move your planet to a different sector. If we were to do something like that you could only move your planet into sectors that had an open slot for a planet. If it is a 0 planet sector you can't go through the sector and have to go around it. If it is a 3 planet sector and there are three planets in there you can't go through it. You would have to capture and blow up one of the planets or go around the sector.

I would probably tie it into the Autoroutes created by the Navcomp. You would create an autoroute in the navcomp and then tell the planet mover to use that route to move the planet.

I would also make it take a lot longer to move the planet than every 5 minutes. It should take 12 hours to move the planet from one sector to another. So if you want to move through 5 sectors it's going to take 2.5 days to do it. I like the idea that it is vulnerable to attack because while moving you can't place sector defenses.

I would also put a restriction on moving planets into SG sectors. Otherwise people will end up moving everything out of realspace into SG's. I know people end up building like that after a while but there probably needs to be some restriction of some sort.

I like the idea. :)

Post subject: Re: Two suggestions for additions
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:40 pm 

I am glad you like the idea!

and for the coloring of the word "Evil" is that a template issue or is that hard coded?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]