It is currently Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:03 am


The forum is READ ONLY. Please direct any future discussions to our Facebook page


 Page 8 of 9 [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Is God With Us??
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 3:52 pm 
Forum Roamer
Forum Roamer

Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2003 9:57 am
Posts: 58
Valience wrote:
Those aren't really the "forms" of evolution. Those are mostly all independent theories each with "evolution" in its name. When I refer to evolution, I mean micro and macro evolution, along with organic evolution. Those are more or less Darwin's theory.


Maybe not, but they are the forums being taught as fact in most public schools. They are also the 6 forms you'd have prove or recreate on some scale to claim the $250,000 prize. Don't get your hopes up.

Valience wrote:
My turn to play the self-deceit card. It's your imagination. You know no god, you just think you do. I can't convince you otherwise, of course. You know what you feel, and I'm not saying you don't feel the presence of some god in your heart.


You're right, you don't know the what I feel. I said Christians know God in their heart, and they will claim the rest of the population can feel it too, even though they rebel against it. However I never said that's what I felt. I'm a fan of both self-deceit and deceit of others, personally.
mcaslow wrote:
Spontaneous generation was scientifically disproved 120 years ago by Louis Pasteur and others


Site source please. I'm unfamiliar with how it was disproven.

Valience wrote:
Louis Pasteur did not disprove that. It is impossible to disprove.


Site source please.

Valience wrote:
We cannot return to the time of Adam, or 4.5 billion years ago to see the first bacteria forming. It cannot be disproven or proven.


However, with 4.5 billion years of practice we should be able to recreate it at some scale, right? At least the smallest portion of evolution... for example making some form of life from the unliving... Right? Hell, let's make things simple and just start by re-animating something that was once alive. The best we've come up with is an artificial set of elements on the periodic table that are so unstable they self destruct quicker than we are even able to examine their properties. We can't even create non-living elements that aren't suicidal. Just an 'observation.'

Valience wrote:
I am positive that the god of the bible would send this person to hell.

But I'm certain that would not happen. God would not simply let them into heaven because they were a good person in life.


Though you may be right, having admittedly never read The Bible how can you be 'positive?' How can you be 'certain?' Where is the 'reason' in that? From a worldview suggesting that it's impossible to 'know' anything you are very adamant about what you 'know' about God.

Psalm 44 : 21 wrote:
Shall not God search this out? For he knoweth the secrets of the heart.

Jeremiah 17 : 10 wrote:
I the LORD search the heart, I try the reins (Heb: examine the mind, as the interior self), even to give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings.

Hebrews 4 : 12 (abridged) wrote:
For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword... and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.


You keep making me dig for verses Val and it won't be that before you can say you HAVE read the bible.



_________________
By reading this post you've just been made a better person...


...you're welcome.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is God With Us??
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 6:41 pm 
AA Warrior
AA Warrior

Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:20 pm
Posts: 532
Quote:
I said Christians know God in their heart, and they will claim the rest of the population can feel it too, even though they rebel against it. However I never said that's what I felt. I'm a fan of both self-deceit and deceit of others, personally.


Yes. As I've already explained, it's really impossible to prove anything given the fallibility of the human conscious, so they can't even prove what they feel. And they really can't claim that everyone feels the same way and that some just rebel against it because their only source is the bible. The bible doesn't know how I feel.

Quote:
Quote:
Louis Pasteur did not disprove that. It is impossible to disprove.


Site source please.


That's common sense. You can't prove or disprove anything that happened four and a half billion years ago. The closest you could get would be to prove that it would violate the laws of physics, which, as far as we know it wouldn't, and even that wouldn't be proof, since we don't fully even understand the laws of physics.

Quote:
However, with 4.5 billion years of practice we should be able to recreate it at some scale, right? At least the smallest portion of evolution... for example making some form of life from the unliving... Right? Hell, let's make things simple and just start by re-animating something that was once alive. The best we've come up with is an artificial set of elements on the periodic table that are so unstable they self destruct quicker than we are even able to examine their properties. We can't even create non-living elements that aren't suicidal. Just an 'observation.'


Not necessarily. Perhaps, but you really can't assume that humans are smart enough to figure out how to do that. Maybe it will be done some day. That would be the ultimate proof. I mean, you still couldn't prove that that's where we came from, but you could at least prove it possible. Maybe in my life time...

And re-animating! Hah! This isn't Frankenstein. That would be way harder. Do you know how complex any sort of sentient living organism is? And single celled stuff like bacteria, when it dies, does not lend itself to resurection either. It would be way easier to create something like a virus, which is capable of reproduction and mutation. Given enough time, it could evolve and evolve into something completely new, not even a virus. Perhaps fungii, for example, would emerge.

As to the last two sentences, I again find actually quite funny the way you state it, and I think I'll remember that as a joke as well, but it doesn't hold any water as far as the debate goes. That's just throwing together protons and neutrons and electrons. And those come apart because of the mechanics of the elements themselves, not because we made them. We wouldn't be using atoms with unstable nuclei to create a simple example of life. That would be easier really.

And also, just a note, we have created new elements never seen before, so if your comparison were to hold water, it would follow that we could create some sort of life. No matter that it self destructs, at least it could be proven that it could happen. Humans just aren't good at it.

Quote:
Though you may be right, having admittedly never read The Bible how can you be 'positive?' How can you be 'certain?' Where is the 'reason' in that? From a worldview suggesting that it's impossible to 'know' anything you are very adamant about what you 'know' about God.


Well first, I have read some of the bible, just not all of it. Just take the ten commandments. "I am a jealous god." That means if you don't worship him, he condemns you. I know of other examples, but I don't feel like digging for the quotes.

And quit nit-picking!!! You said I could use know as I wished during our debate. I mean only very very very confident in my thoughts. And you did give me permission to use the word know under the assumption that you would bear in mind that it is actually impossible to know anything, and simply that I meant that I was very confident in my thought.



_________________
Image
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: RE: Is God With Us??
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 7:07 pm 
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:27 am
Posts: 16
Valience wrote:
And no, there is no right and wrong, but Joe Doe would be punished if I had authority because his actions would revolt my human instincts.


And you think my God is immoral for judging His creatures for rebelling against Him. Oh the irony.
Valience wrote:
there is no "life". Life in an illusion. It's just a series of extremely complex chemical reactions.

Glad to see you admitt this.
Valience wrote:
I don't think order came from chaos because I think the world is still chaotic. I don't think that something came from nothing because I think we still have nothing. There is no morality, no real life, just chemical reactions, no such thing as a soul, so what is there? Nothing came from nothing.

Glad to see you admitt this too.
Valience wrote:
Reason is how the universe funcitons
So it's not physics anymore?
Valience wrote:
Humans can learn about reason
So like I said we can learn that God is the source of reason.
Valience wrote:
You're not really responsible. I'm just trying very persistantly to convince you that your sense is flawed. And remeber, it's not because you ought to be an atheist, it's just because I get some enjoyment out of it.
You say some strange things. How can my sense be flawed? It's chemicals and biological stuff. Weeds don't argue with other weeds.
Valience wrote:
Do I know how the world and life began? No, I can't really say I know anything.
Thank you for that.
Valience wrote:
If God and morality does exist, morality must be defined as a person simply doing what a person believes to be right, whether it is or not. If this person rejected god, but devoted themselves to doing good, and then god accepted them into heaven, no doubt they would see the error of their ways. They would be reconciled thanks to god's mercy.
Again, I will let God speak for Himself. People who don't like God and accuse Him of being evil are not going to represent Him fairly. Why is it ok for you to go to heaven and repent there but not here on earth? Why is it ok for you to dictate your personal morality but not God? Are you assuming divine privilage for yourself?
Valience wrote:
Reason does not need faith.
Yes for you, reason needs faith. It's arbitrary and unreliable as you say but its all you have to depend on for explaining the world which you rarly do. If reason is arbitrary then why trust in it. At least, why trust in YOUR reasoning. The use of reason is never neutral. If its from an atheistic worldview then your reasoning will lead you to say things like "life is illusion", "the world is chaos" "life came from nonlife" "matter came from nonmatter", "intellegence came from nonintel" and don't forget "there is no evidence for God" "you can't know anything". The atheist does not have a workable epistimology. How do you know things? Knowlege is not something material. Love is not material either. How does an atheist make sense out of things like this. Is love chemical reactions?


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is God With Us??
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 4:00 am 
Newbie
Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:52 pm
Posts: 48
God, is as every one has sed, is in the heart of people who belive in god no matter what faith that is all god is a god that does not help the so called creation, because he can not help it, people say that god chooses not to intervene and others say god cant. it is simple as that there is no what ifs or maybe it is that.

christianity the faith that belive god is the creator and watchs over us and comes in our greater need but i myself have seen none of the sort just death that is all,
jesus they sed he die for his people to save us from our sins but yet we still sin today even true chirstians sin aleast once.
the bible was not writen by god or jesus but by the men and women who fellowd jesus so some of it may be true and some not so, many of the books did not even get in to the bible becuses of a conucil which was made by an emporer of rome Flavius Valerius Aurelius Constantinus or
constantine 1st whos empire was being riped in two by pacuns and chirstians there was war and killing so he decided two make his whole empire under chrstianty and created the council that decide what goes in the bible.
constantine was a pacun untill death when he was baptaism on his death bed.



_________________
Sorry if there are spelling mistakes in this post it not my fault. . . . . . . .
RΣDSKüLL
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is God With Us??
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 7:23 am 
Forum Roamer
Forum Roamer

Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2003 9:57 am
Posts: 58
Redskull wrote:
Jesus they sed he die for his people to save us from our sins but yet we still sin today even true chirstians sin aleast once.


No man, save the seed of God, is without sin. That's why there is still sin today. However the suffering for that sin was borne by God in the flesh (Jesus) so that those who believe their sin was borne by Jesus would be absolved of it. Jesus didn't die so that there wouldn't be sin in the world, Jesus died so that despite sin, the world would not be doomed.

Imagine a child who say, for sake of example, spills water on his fathers laptop destroying it and a ton of important unrecoverable work. The father sends the child to his room and puts his fist through a wall. Jesus is our wall. We've done many terrible things but because the father couldn't bare to lay his wrath upon his children, he offers a way out. The middle man takes the heat and we recieve the benefit. Mind you i'm not telling you to worship the wall for taking a punch for you, just providing it as an example of how Jesus will not stop bad things from happening, but rather provide a means to escape the deserved retribution for when they do.

Redskull wrote:
the bible was not writen by god or jesus but by the men and women who fellowd jesus


The Bible was not 'written' by God or Jesus but instead 'dictated' by God. The greatest portion of it before the birth of Christ, so it wasn't written entirely by those who followed Jesus, but by those who followed God. Also I can't say with any amount of certainty, but i'd be willing to bet that it was JUST men that wrote it, not men AND women.

Redskull wrote:
many of the books did not even get in to the bible becuses of a conucil which was made by an emporer of rome Flavius Valerius Aurelius Constantinus or constantine 1st whos empire was being riped in two by pacuns and chirstians there was war and killing so he decided two make his whole empire under chrstianty and created the council that decide what goes in the bible.


These books you refer to are the ones that could have been written by any nutcase and contradict the rest of the information in the bible so sufficiently as to provide evidence that at least they in particular could not have been divinely inspired. The most famous of these are the "Gnostic books of the Bible" written by the Gnostics (FUN FACT : Gnostic is derived from the Greek word "Gnosis" which most closely translates to english as "truth" or "to know"). You may remember the very recent archaelogical dig which unearthed the as of yet untranslated and partially destroyed Gnostic "Gospel according to Judas" which portrayed Judas not as a traitor but as the closest friend of Jesus who was charged with the task of delivering Jesus to be crucified so that Man would be saved.

Just trying to stir the embers a bit.



_________________
By reading this post you've just been made a better person...


...you're welcome.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is God With Us??
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:15 am 
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:27 am
Posts: 16
redskull wrote:
God, is as every one has sed, is in the heart of people who belive in god no matter what faith that is all god is a god that does not help the so called creation, because he can not help it, people say that god chooses not to intervene and others say god cant. it is simple as that there is no what ifs or maybe it is that.
I am not sure what your trying to say here but Christianity does not claim that God chooses not to intervene nor that God can not intervene. Deists might claim that but Deists are not Christians. The fact of the matter is that if you read the Bible God is constantly intervening. That's what the bible says. If the Christian theory of life is true then obviously God is with us. He has dwelt among us and as you said, Jesus died for man. This raises the theological question you asked. What purpose did it have. How did it make things different. Many books have been written on these subjects but they all presuppose that God is with us. This all presupposes that God has spoken.
redskull wrote:
christianity the faith that belive god is the creator and watchs over us and comes in our greater need but i myself have seen none of the sort just death that is all,
I am sorry to hear you say that redskull. Life must be tough for you. I can understand your predicament however. If I didn't believe in the God of the bible then I would see nothing but death too. (that once was true in my life). Redskull, look at what the opposition offers us. Matter in motion, no moral and ethical judgements, no freedom, nothing nothing nothing. Just read some of what I have written about the Atheistic worldview. Even Valience says that life is only an allusion. (sounds a bit like hinduism). No wander you only see death. Without God we have nothing.

As far as your questions about the books of the bible and constantine, you should consider the christian interpretation of that history. Are you open to that? If you're an atheist, on what grounds do you pass judgment upon historical events? Was Constantine wrong? How can he be wrong or right in an atheistic world?

Thanks for the intrest in theology and history.
mcaslow


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is God With Us??
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 1:29 pm 
AA Warrior
AA Warrior

Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:20 pm
Posts: 532
Quote:
And you think my God is immoral for judging His creatures for rebelling against Him. Oh the irony.


Well you must see that there is a difference. If there is no god, it is neither moral nor immoral for me to act as my instincts command. I have some intelligence, which has accumalated some reason, and my reason informs me that there is no right or wrong, but my intelligence is not great enough to overcome my instincts.

Now let's say there is a god, and there is morality. Reason suggests that morality should be independent of intelligence, by definition, meaning that an error in judgement should not lead to the labelling by god of "immoral." A person who believes in their hearts that god is immoral, no matter the reason, believes this based on their judgement, which is directly linked to their intellect. They have judged god, and an incompetent intellect has lead to an incorrect judgement. They are still trying to do what's right, they just aren't good at it. The motivation should be what counts. Let's say a retard (litterally) grows up with a bunch of corrupting atheists that convince him that god is evil. He can't very well do much thinking for himself, so why should he be punished for the people that have influenced him? It's not his fault what he thinks. He's mentally incompetent. It would be immoral for god to damn that person. Some would call it immoral for god to even allow the birth of retards, but I won't pass judgement on that because it's really unnecessary for my argument.

Quote:
Quote:
reason is how the universe functions


So it's not physics anymore?


I use the two terms to mean essentially the same thing. They are slightly different, but physics works beause it is reasonable, literally.

Quote:
Quote:
Humans can learn about reason.


So like I said we can learn that God is the source of reason.


That doesn't follow for me. I've explained multiple times how that leads to a contradiction, and holds no logical water.

Quote:
You say some strange things. How can my sense be flawed? It's chemicals and biological stuff. Weeds don't argue with other weeds.


When I say your sense is flawed, I mean that what you think you know about logic thanks to your artificial intelligence (here I use the world artificial to mean not arising from "life," with doesn't exist, but from chemical and electrical processess in your brain) does not match up correctly with actual logic.

Quote:
Why is it ok for you to go to heaven and repent there but not here on earth?


From how you worded that, it sounds like you're saying that I suggested that I shouldn't be allowed to repent on earth. That wasn't what I meant. I meant that it shouldn't be required that I repent on Earth, as long as I eventually repent, and truly repent in my heart, rather than out of desire for the joys of heaven.

Quote:
Yes for you, reason needs faith. It's arbitrary and unreliable as you say...


No, it's not arbitrary or reliable. It is 100% reliable. My reasoning is not always reliable, because I am fallible, and what I think I know of logic may not perfectly coorespond to actual logic, but in the world, independent of human consciousness, reason and logic invariably work. And they are not arbitrary either. It works whever you are, all the time.

All I said was that by definition, reason cannot be justified by reason, simply because, again, by definition, that's begging the question. And it's impossible to justify reason any other way, including with god, because simply justifying anything implies a trust in reason. Put another way, explaining things means reason, no matter what you are explaining and no matter how you explain it. It doesn't matter if you use god to explain reason or what, you use reason, which is petitio principii.



_________________
Image
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is God With Us??
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:15 pm 
Newbie
Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:52 pm
Posts: 48
mcaslow wrote:
I am sorry to hear you say that redskull. Life must be tough for you. I can understand your predicament however. If I didn't believe in the God of the bible then I would see nothing but death too. (that once was true in my life). Redskull, look at what the opposition offers us. Matter in motion, no moral and ethical judgements, no freedom, nothing nothing nothing. Just read some of what I have written about the Atheistic worldview. Even Valience says that life is only an allusion. (sounds a bit like hinduism). No wander you only see death. Without God we have nothing.

As far as your questions about the books of the bible and constantine, you should consider the christian interpretation of that history. Are you open to that? If you're an atheist, on what grounds do you pass judgment upon historical events? Was Constantine wrong? How can he be wrong or right in an atheistic world?

Thanks for the intrest in theology and history.
mcaslow


well look around you death it everywhere in the news around there will be womething dead even if you cant see it there is.
no moral, nice, no ethical judement again nice, no freedom, i coudnt live without my freedom. life isnt an allusion life is every real, life is a trick of the brain and the eye if thats the way you look at life then so be it.
with god youhave nothing expect a voice that tells you right from wrong which is ure subconscious talking.

Yes i am open to that i am open to anything.
atheist, no i am still waiting for a sign i will belive in god when i see a mircle or god.
history is histroy, if you chosse to look back to it for answers insted of the here and now then that is fine with me.
Constantine was a power hungry man that didnt wont his empire tron in two by christians and the paguns.
ther are alot of people how belive in a god and alot of people that dont so i would not say it is a atheistic world.
no prob mate.



_________________
Sorry if there are spelling mistakes in this post it not my fault. . . . . . . .
RΣDSKüLL
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is God With Us??
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 1:01 pm 
AA Warrior
AA Warrior

Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:20 pm
Posts: 532
Well you certainly aren't an atheist if you think there's any reality to life. You can't have really have much of a "soul" or anything without a god. I ask, what is life? If it's not just an illusion created by some chemical reactions, and if you don't acknowledge that there is a god, what is left?

And you can't denounce using history as a source when you yourself refered to it.

I'm inclined to agree with Mcaslow that you're just fooling yourself. You choose to believe that there is something to life because you prefer to believe that. It makes you feel better, but you're wrong.



_________________
Image
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is God With Us??
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:24 am 
Newbie
Newbie
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:52 pm
Posts: 48
Valience wrote:
Well you certainly aren't an atheist if you think there's any reality to life. You can't have really have much of a "soul" or anything without a god. I ask, what is life? If it's not just an illusion created by some chemical reactions, and if you don't acknowledge that there is a god, what is left?

And you can't denounce using history as a source when you yourself refered to it.

I'm inclined to agree with Mcaslow that you're just fooling yourself. You choose to believe that there is something to life because you prefer to believe that. It makes you feel better, but you're wrong.


you ask what is life, life is what belongs to you yer sure it can be takein away and can be thrown aswell but it will all ways be yours no one can have it. you ask what is left, left well nothing expext understanding of the world and where you stand, who you are, what we are. an illusion maybe, god maybe there could ethier or both (an illusion made by god) or none, no one knows and no one will ever find out if ther is a god or it was made in the big bang or an illusion or it could be some ones dream you just wont know untill it is all over, an illusion we open our eyes, A god when judement day comes it will be to late.

if you read what i have sed ''looking back for answer'' i referd.
why not belive there is something to life i reather be a fool.



_________________
Sorry if there are spelling mistakes in this post it not my fault. . . . . . . .
RΣDSKüLL
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is God With Us??
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:12 pm 
AA Warrior
AA Warrior

Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:20 pm
Posts: 532
I have difficulty understanding you given your spelling. Are you a native speaker of English?

You say that life is what I have, but I have nothing. I am nothing, becuase there is no life. You have not defined it, and the fact is that you can't define it because it doesn't exist, unless you're going to turn to religion.

"why not belive there is something to life i reather be a fool."

Why not believe there is something to life? Because it is obviously wrong. I can't "believe" something that I know is not true.

Why don't you believe that you're always happy? Wouldn't that be great? But you can't.

You're just choosing to believe something (that really makes no sense nor has any explicative value what so ever) because you prefer to believe it. You're making things up because that's easier than facing reality. That's certainly a contributing factor as far as how religions were started, and why the have so many followers. Because people would rather believe that they'll go to heaven when they die than that their consciousness (merely a series of chemical reactions) will just cease to be.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't choose to believe this, because I also maintain that there is no right or wrong. I just have to wonder why you ask "Is god with us," even though you aren't willing to consider a very plausable explanation of reality just because it is displeasing to you. You've already decided what you want to believe, so why consider anything else?



_________________
Image
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is God With Us??
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:28 am 
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:27 am
Posts: 16
I check in once in a while to see if there is anything worthwhile to respond to. Although there's not much more I can say, and get bored repeating myself, I have noticed that this topic gets a lot of hits. It seems to be the most popular subject at this website which I take to be quite unsuprised. This issue of the existance of God is the most basic and important of all issues. But instead of repeating my unanswered challenges I will give a plug for a wonderfull book I just read.

[i]IS CHRISTIANITY GOOD FOR THE WORLD?[i] A debate by Christopher Hitchens and Douglas Wilson. I highly recommend it for anyone that takes this debate serious. It's a small book only 67 pages and can be read in an hour. The arguments presented are basically the same I have presented except that Wilson (Christian) is far greater and creative in communicating them. Basically, Hitchens (Atheist) struggles with Wilson's challenges and turns to crude mean spirited rhetoric. Here are two exerpts from Wilson:

"Take the vilest atheist you ever heard of. Imagine yourself sitting at his bedside shortly before he passes away. He says, following Sinatra, 'I did it my way.' And then he adds, chuckling, 'Got away with it too.' In our thought experiment, the one rule is that you must say something to him, and whatever you say, it must flow directly from your shared atheism - and it must challenge the morality of his choices. What can you possibly say? He did get away with it. There is a great deal of injustice behind him, which he perpetrated, and no justice in front of him. You have no basis for saying anything to him other than to point to your own set of personal prejudices and preferences. You mention this to him, and he shrugs, 'Tamayto, tomahto." p40

"A fixed standard, grounded in the character of God, allows us to define evil, but this brings with it the possibility of forgiveness. You reject forgiveness, but at the end of the day this means that you don't believe there is anything that needs forgiveness. This means you have destroyed the idea of evil, regardless of what you might 'call' behaviors that happen to be inconvenient for you." p66

The book can be purchased at Barns and Nobels


mcaslow


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is God With Us??
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:52 pm 
AA Warrior
AA Warrior

Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:20 pm
Posts: 532
I'll look at it.

I like the idea behind those quotes actually. The second expresses the idea a little better than the first. I think that what he's said is right. There is no way to really define evil. It's just "this behavior is conducive to the furthering of the species, and that is not." No more than that really.

Quote:
Hitchens (Atheist) struggles with Wilson's challenges and turns to crude mean spirited rhetoric.


Well, was the book written by a Christian, and the debate fictional, and only a way for the author to put forward his own ideas? If so, I would expect something like that. :P But whatever... I'd saying painting one's dissenters as "mean-spirited" is pretty mean-spirited in itself. If this was ever a problem with me, I apologize, but that's my age, not my atheism talking. Sure, you might find some atheists that are jerks, but you'll find that many more (most) are not, and are, of course, completely rational.



_________________
Image
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is God With Us??
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:06 am 
Newbie
Newbie

Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:27 am
Posts: 16
VAL,

The book is a debate between a christian and an ateist. Not a fiction.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is God With Us??
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:38 pm 
AA Warrior
AA Warrior

Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:20 pm
Posts: 532
Ok, that's interesting. I'll check it out.



_________________
Image
Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 Page 8 of 9 [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

cron