It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:01 am

The forum is READ ONLY. Please direct any future discussions to our Facebook page

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: How do the new Traderoutes Work?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:25 pm 
Developer
Developer

I thought I would give everyone a heads up on how the new traderoutes work before we reset the game. The traderoutes work differently from what you remember and they are instant trades unlike the 0.21 traderoutes.

Creating or Editing a Traderoute

As you can see in the above image there are more options when creating a traderoute.

You now have full control over what you are going to trade for planets. You will notice a dropdown box to the right of the planet selections. You can select the commodity you would like to pickup from that planet when trading. If you want to move goods off the planet to another planet or port you can by selecting Goods. If you select None then nothing will be picked up from the planet.

In 0.21 you had a master setting for trading Colonists, Energy, Fighters and Torpedoes. If you wanted to make a change in what was being traded on a traderoute you had to change the master setting and it affected every traderoute. In 0.30 you can make selections on whether or not you will trade energy, fighters or torpedoes for each traderoute. This will give you far greater flexability in what you can do with your traderoutes.

Listing all of your Traderoutes

As you can see in the above example each traderoute lists what is being picked up by the ship at the source and destination. It doesn't list what is accepted by the ports. You will also notice each traderoute indicates what the settings are for trading energy, fighters and torpedoes.

How the different Traderoute combinations work

The above detail exactly what happens on the different types of traderoutes you can setup in the game. You will notice that you can now sell fighters and torpedoes back to the Upgrade Port. You will sell them at a very, very low price if you do.

Everyone should remember how the new traderoutes work so they don't get tripped up. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:58 am 
AA Trader
AA Trader

One word...

WOOT!

And that's all I have to say about that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:23 am 
AA Trader
AA Trader

Seems like Kwae put it as short as possible. Keep your arms and legs inside the spaceship, things are going to go a bit faster soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:12 pm 
Developer
Developer

Yes, I know traderoutes are late but I keep running into bugs that people would be boxing my ears over. :)

If you check the graphics above you will notice that how traderoutes work has changed again.

In the previous graphics your ship wouldn't buy anything from the destination port/planet unless you were doing a roundtrip(2-way) traderoute. If it was a one way traderoute your ship wouldn't buy anything after it sold what it could at the destination. This has changed so the ship will buy from the destination port on a one way traderoute. If you have selected a roundtrip(2-way) traderoute all that will happen on the second half of the trip is bring you back to your starting point and scooping energy if you have a scoop installed. Nothing else will happen on the return trip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:29 pm 
Developer
Developer

I decided to show everyone what the traderoute result page looks like since I am almost ready to reset everything.

This is a port to port trade. As you can see it doesn't display every single trade that was made. It displays the starting amounts and prices for both ports and the ending prices and amounts after the trades have completed.

It also gives totals for everything that was sold and bought and the final profit or costs.

And it is damned fast. :)

Take a close look at the example. ;) That traderoute was executed 1,500 times. :) You would virtually lockup the server and wait forever for 1,500 trade to complete on the 0.21 code. Now it is almost instant.

The code is still rough and contains a ton of checks and things from testing but I am not going to worry about cleaning it up until we get close to releasing it for downloading. It can be sped up alot more. Right now it is only making from 7-15 queries depending upon how many items are availible at the ports. That's only 7-15 queries no matter how many trades are performed for a traderoute. The 1,500 trade example only executed from 7-15 queries.

The 0.21 traderoute code would execute 25-30 queries for every trade! So if you wanted to run a 1,500 trade traderoute it would execute 37,000-40,000+ queries. HUGE problem since alot of hosts limit alot of virtual servers to 100,000 queries an HOUR or less. Even a 50 trade traderoute would take 1,300+ queries to execute. That is just plain horrible programming (not our fault). ;)

I am damned close to being able to reset the 0.30 test games so everyone can play with the new toys. :)

Attachments:
File comment: Trade Route Result
traderesult.gif
traderesult.gif [ 13 KiB | Viewed 6427 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:48 pm 
AA Mega-Trader
AA Mega-Trader

PJ, :bigthumb: :drool:

It will happen when you are ready and we will be grateful and at least double your hourly pay that you get for creating this great game . :D

Cheers

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]