It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:59 pm

The forum is READ ONLY. Please direct any future discussions to our Facebook page

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Change in SD Combat With Bounty Players
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:17 am 
Gamer
Gamer

That is such a very nice change to the SD system, and such a great way to let the players know that such a critical change has taken place in the middle of a round! [/sarcasm]

I'm sorry guys, but how would you feel if you were a soldier, and the military sent you into combat with a gun that will only shoot soldiers from another superpower? If you try shooting a soldier from a country such as Iraq, or any non-nuclear country, it just spits blanks. Oh sure, you can still be shot, you just can't shoot back.

You'd be fine with that, right? Why not...

I guess the thing that pisses me off most is that you make a change that is so *fundamental* to the way the game is played, and yet you do not even make one goddamn post or announcement about it. You've already had two of the best attackers in the game (myself and Big) lose all faith in your new code, so why not go the whole way? Was that your plan?

How about making it so that if a Bounty player tries to get into your sector, they don't have to deal with your SD? That would level the playing field! And while your at it, if a Bounty player hits your ship, your escape pod fails to launch! That is such an awesome idea!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:42 pm 
Gamer
Gamer

Your post are strange and abrasive... If I was the person you were trying to communicate with: You would be ignored. Ignored not by the value of the input; but ignored for the message that muddy up the main points of your suggestions. In your mind, I imagine that everyone is an: _______________ (fill in the blank)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:09 pm 
Developer
Developer

Eh, I have basically given up on Max Griswald for some time. :)

We made the change last night so the normal attack on SD worked the SAME as an A&R. Tarnus and I thought it was inconsistent and highly exploitable. Basically the big players were clearing out SD of the little players to let other little players go in and attack the planets. Not too balanced when everything else is Bounty balanced. The normal SD attack wasn't following the consistent attack pattern that everything else was following. We put the consistency BACK in the game.

I can guarantee you 100% that if we has posted a message about this change this morning that Max would have been bitching about it anyway. So it is not the lack of warning but the fact it is in the game he is bitching about.

We can't win with Max no matter what we do.

No... We can... Maybe...

If we make it so defenders can't defend against anyone larger than them. Kind of like going back to how BNT's combat works. Then he might be happier. Not totally happy as he has to bitch about something but a little happier. :evil:

So when Max bitches we just filter it out as background noise.

Max - Everyone else
:attention:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:35 pm 
Gamer
Gamer

Message Sender Holger Bech Nielsen 2006-06-08 14:10:20

Captain of the Name

Subject RE: You got bit too?

Yeah , I tried to cloak into a sector it had 498K birds and 2K torps, and I had much more. I didn't take out any birds or arrows. no birds or arrows was used by the defense. No birds and no arrows damaged my ship 90 % so I had to loan 1 tn in the IGB to repair the damage :(
Was I a bit tinkleed.... Vary much indeed:(

--------------------------------

so far this round, you've really pissed off one of your longest playing members, not just me. and the fact that big is the best attack in the game (bar NONE) and he is getting sick of the way things are going, that *should* clue you in on some things.

and yes, I'd probably not be happy about the change anyway, because it is very exploitable (it actually makes an idea I bounced off a teammate even easier than what I'd first planned on...) I may exploit it before clueing the devs about it, just to make them look like complete idiots, but oh well. the thing is, any time you make a change to the way a game is played in the middle of a round, you need to post an ANNOUNCEMENT about it!

I mean, Big lost 1T worth of credits because of not knowing about the change, and I lost a good amount myself. if you keep this kind of behaviour up, your going to have all of your good players leave. CrashnBurn already left because of some issues with the main game, mostly because it was too slow and he couldn't attack with the A&R changes. I tried my best to convince Big to stay around yesterday, but after this, I don't know if I can get him to stay on the server.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:04 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Its posted along with other things comingg soon that will probably ruin all your plans for how you "THOUGHT" you would exploit it. Remember we are constantly trying to maintain a balance. Not to mention keep things equitably fair in the game.

Now as far as cloaking sector or randomly taking out SD your just going to have to be more careful, perhaps use a cool little device called a warp editor so you can see who you are up against before you blidly hop into a sector... you did this as a smaller player, why can't you do it as a larger one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:35 pm 
Gamer
Gamer

I never used a warp editor while I was on my rise, it wasn't until I was in 2nd place that I could carry enough energy to use the warp editors...

and, I will say that yes, some of the changes have made certain things more interesting, but not impossible, and still well worth our time to use these changes to our advantage...anything that keeps 100% of my planets totall safe w/o having to worry about laying any defense...well...if all of my planets were able to run 80-90% credit production, I wouldn't be 2nd place, I'd be 1st...

Post subject: hmm
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:26 pm 
AA Trader
AA Trader

I am a little confused. Since I am not playing right now, I cannot say how bad this is, but I have a question.
So are you basing this off of player levels, or just what is in the sector?
At some point you have to be able to overwhelm the SD or you can't get in. A&R prevents you from taking the SD out completly. If as Max shows, big had way more than SD, why would he not be able to take them out even if he were cloaking in?

Also I think I take exception the Big being the best bar none.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:41 pm 
Gamer
Gamer

Big is 2m NW, the person who owned the sector was much smaller. the new change in the SD combat makes it so that a player CANNOT destroy ANY SD from a player who is a bounty for them. thus, his figs/torps do NOTHING, and the SD figs/torps go straight to armour...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:24 pm 
AA Trader
AA Trader

Its just a thin line between an attackers game and a bulders game. That thin line would be in the attack&run settings. Just think, when everyone starts downloading the new version they'll probably be a little off when they try adjusting those settings (Attack&run settings/modifiers in the change log) .:) Now about the thing with the larger people taking out the smaller players SD. What ever happened to the idea of those smaller players putting a little more SD than what the larger players ship can hold? Especially if the larger players can not attack&run effectively against them anyway. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:31 pm 
Gamer
Gamer

thats what I'm saying...top guy can't hold 2m SD right now, whats so hard about putting that much out? I mean, I guess if you are 30k points it might be hard, but, ummm, this change was done because tarnus got his SD busted and some planets taken. tarnus is far from a poor player, and I'd have never done it to a play er who wasn't going to be a pain in the butt...and TH could easily have added enough SD to proect himself at the time, as he was a top 15 player...if your going to play in the top, you need to be able to protect yourself...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:53 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm opposed to a large player taking out a bountied players SD. Especially for a smaller player. If the smaller player can take it out hmself I have no problem losing my planets and sector, I do however have a problem with joes buddy that carrys 2 mill SD taking out a new player that can barely aford to get his planets to 100K SD. Joe Bully takes it out for his friends and guess what, little newb player loses that sector to a player that probably could not have taken out the SD on his own, its a gift and is skewed towards the larger bully player.

While I know all the big attakcers have done this in the past it doesn't make it right. Now if that player is on a team that is in bounty range, he is fair game, or if they are opposing alignments. Regarless that newb player probably can only haul 4K fighters at a time and would spend thoudans of turns to take it to he mill + fighters needed to defend it from the karger player who wanted to boost his buddy.

Equitable players should have to work for equitable credits period.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:32 pm 
AA Trader
AA Trader

Panama Jack wrote:
Basically the big players were clearing out SD of the little players to let other little players go in and attack the planets.

Damn that database wipe!! This was one of my *ahem* "rants" a few months back, I have no forum post to link to so I can say - "Whoever had this idea was a might smart man - Oh wait! It was me!!"

*snicker*

Thanks guys!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:39 pm 
Developer
Developer

Kwae Zar wrote:
Panama Jack wrote:
Basically the big players were clearing out SD of the little players to let other little players go in and attack the planets.

Damn that database wipe!! This was one of my *ahem* "rants" a few months back, I have no forum post to link to so I can say - "Whoever had this idea was a might smart man - Oh wait! It was me!!"

*snicker*

Thanks guys!

Well, we are trying to get the SD fighter energy usage just right so a single planet can support similar numbers of SD as a ship of the same tech level can use to attack the sector. This way the attacks will be just like doing a ship to ship attack. If the sector has more planets all of the same tech level as the attacking ship then the attacking ship has to use A&R to reduce the number of fighters/torps so they can do a normal attack.

We are wanting to get away from the massive numbers of SD in a sector. The SD supported by one planet should be tha same as a ship can carry when tech levels are the same.

We have slowly been increasing the amount of energy sector defense fighters can use.

Last edited by Panama Jack on Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:39 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

As you can see I am catching alot of flack for it ;) But in the end Evil doers always lose! ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:36 am 
Gamer
Gamer

two things:

well I guess there won't be much of a point for teams when it comes to being able to help each other attack. if I'm a large player, why can't I help my teammates out by clearing SD for them? isn't that part of what teamplay is about? it should be a valid strategy. otherwise, whats the use of a large player even having an attacking ship? or, for that matter, a large player having teammates?

if I send my teammate enough cash to increase his techs to be able to bust into a sector, he will be in bounty range for the guy he was trying to hit, thus, he can't hit him anymore.

this would be no problem at all, if the A&R code wasn't SKEWED to allow a defender to be totally impervious. which leads me to my second point.

you say a single planet should be able to hold the same amount of SD that a ship of the same level can hold, but what about the fact that for less cash, you can have 2-4 planets LARGER than one ship? I mean, seems like the attackers get the short end of THAT stick, seeing as if they try and A&R someone with engines smaller than the opponent's fig bays, they take a lot of damage. wouldn't be so bad if the defender couldn't upgrade his fig bays so cheaply compared to the attacker's ship...

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next