It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 11:49 am

The forum is READ ONLY. Please direct any future discussions to our Facebook page

Page 1 of 6 [ 84 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Rate planets go indy
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:07 am 
Forum Roamer
Forum Roamer

The rate of planets going indy after you own 200 is frustrating. Although I admit this might be my only hope of showing 'planets captured' figures, I am pretty clueless right now on what to do. There is no need to build a huge cargo ship to build planets with since I have stopped building planets over a week ago. So for now I just upgrade and pull credits and cruise around snooping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:35 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well if ya think about it, thats how it should be.. The more planets you have, the harder it is to keep them from declaring independence. So your job becomes being a peacekeeper with your own empire ;)

I'm amazed how well I have done with just a few planets, the key is maximizing thier levels and credit production.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:58 pm 
Developer
Developer

That's kind of the way it is supposed to be.

If you have less than 50 planets you are pretty safe from ever seeing any planet go indy. Anything over 50 planets is fair game for going indy. The more you have over 50 the more likely they will go indy.

It's one of those things to try and limit the number of planets a player can control.

Some players try to have hundreds of small planets so if 50 or 60 disappear it doesn't hurt them like it does if they have 50 planets and 5-10 disappear. Look for it to be harder to manage 200 planets in the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:07 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kayo its balance. Builders should have to work to maintain huge empires. As hard as attackers do to take em down. Still alot to do to balance things. Unfortunately we havent had much time to work on the game, real life work has taken priorities.

And KAYO! Remember this forum is read by all ages, keep it clean! Your post was edited. Try to remember that.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:43 pm 
AA Trader
AA Trader

I see where PP is going with her questions though. At this point the only way for her to attempt to catch EF is to outpace his production. Hell even Nambia has converted from attacker to builder. What is the world coming to!!

I am currently 7th in the main game with just over 30 planets.
Boy I wish Eff. Rating could like double your score or something!

You all know you are just jealous of my Eff. Rating.
:cool:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:43 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

hehe Good Job KZ! I'm waiting patiently or the new SD Planet levels.. then the hunt begins ;) But dont worry at the rate I got RL work comin in, it may be a while ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:22 am 

hehe, i have almost 300 planets, and its not prob when they turn indy, i can hunt them down since i have spies on all of them, but what my prob is that they turn indy so often, they should slow down abit... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:41 am 

It used to be that the higher the tech level on a planet the less likely it would go indy. That doesn't seem to be the case any more seems my bigger ones go indy more often than my smaller ones. Is that the way it is supposed to be? Seems to me it should be set on a percentage deal say 5% of a players planets have a 'chance' to go indy, no matter how many they have, also taken into consideration the tech levels. The players with more planets would still take a bigger hit on indys. Indys shouldn't be used only as a penality for working hard. Indys should happen wether you have 1 or 1000 planets.
imho :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:12 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You alos have to consider huge amounts of planet put a strain on the server load... So if every person had 1000s of planets the server load gets a little wanky. Now if you have ever had that many planets in a game and you did a planet report you just caused a huge db query load. So what we have dont to combat that is make it harder to have 1000s of planets, hence highter collonists numbers for higher level planets as well as the indy issues.

Listen closely to KZ... you dont HAVE to have 100s of planets to do well. You just need to get them upgraded and filled with credits and many many collonists to produce the same as a ton of lower level planets. Having hoigher levels help, its just if your trying to control that many planets you ought to work for it ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:22 pm 
Developer
Developer

It is based upon average planet tech level. You don't get your first break until you hit an everage of 240, the next break happens at 360 and the final break is at 480.

This may be changing to be a scaling average.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:35 pm 
Developer
Developer

And Tarnus is right about 1000 planets being a burden on the database server. If you have 20 players with 1,000 planets each that is 20,000 planets that must be processed. This has actually happened in past 0.21 games.

Even though we have been able to reduce the queries down to ONE for each thing that needs to be processed instead of a query for each planet it is still a burden on the database server. It has to scan through every single planet and calculate many things. Some of the mysql calculations are fairly large.

I do find it funny that Kayo is complaining about the number of planets when his favorite game (EVE) also has limits. ;) They average 5,000 solar systems (similar to our sectors) and there IS a limit to how many planets can be in each solar system. So in reality his favorite game forces people to have fewer planets than we do and they are running server CLUSTERS where our little game has to be able to run on a shared host.

I guess if we had shared server clusters and massive bandwidth we could allow players to have thousands of planets but then SOMEONE would have to pay for the servers and bandwidth. I don't think Kayo would be willing to pay anything per month so he bitches and compares our game to a MMORPG that charges a monthly fee and has a large team of programmers. :)

We have to work within the limits provided and it is damned hard finding a shared host that will allow a browser based game and the game has to be very light on the database. But then again Kayo has absolutely no concept of this. Sigh...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:28 pm 
Developer
Developer

Kayo wrote:
play the game before you talk about it. Planets mean absolutely nothing in eve. the limit in eve is ships in a sector fighting.. which can go into the hundreds before it starts lagging.

and in l2 there is no lag to speak of even in sieges with 1000's of peoples.

also, I'd be willing to pay a monthly fee to play this game. afterall I own 9 eve accounts, 4 L2 accounts, and a bunch of other edit-CRAP.

and this is on shared hosting? el oh el.

Again, you have absolutely no concept of what you are talking about.

Eve has a dedicated shared server setup with massive bandwidth. The real reason you would be seeing any lag in that instance is because your computer may be having problems processing all of the 3D graphic data and it isn't related to the servers.

Again, you are trying to compare a 3D MMORPG that has a 3D client that manages everything on your end for display sound and input which is totally different from using a browser. A pay to play game that has many dedicated servers in a clustered environment with massive bandwidth compared to a browser based game that has to be able to be run on SHARED HOSTING (one server that has multiple sites on it).

Would it be nice to do that? Sure it would. Just send us a few million in startup capital and we will get started on it. Until then trying to compare this game to Eve is about as moronic as you can get.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:19 pm 

Listen here kayo, if u don't like this game than just don't play it, nobody is forceing u to, so play and STFU or just quit, aat is the best "FREE" online game so stop bitching or stop visiting any sites related to aat....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:19 pm 
Forum Roamer
Forum Roamer

Sorry, I didn't mean to start an argument. I am just a bit confused on what my purpose in the game is right at the moment. I log in.....recapture any wayward planets that are trying to escape my 'generous' monarchy....upgrade a few and then log out. What few I have captured that were not mine, I have destroyed so not to keep increasing my numbers of indys scattered around.

And KZ (who I am loyal to and admire greatly and not bashing by this comment) currently does not have the same handicap as I do. I am supporting the defense sectors AND trying to keep enough funds growing to fund ships for myself (and a few for my lower teammates) and purchase sd. I could grow more funds too if I could stop supporting energy only and not have armour on my planets.

And I wasn't aware of the server issue especially since I am pretty much computer illiterate. But if planet 'quanity' is an issue then what about having a TOTAL game limit of planets. Thus forcing either the destruction or capture of others planets if you want YOUR empire to do more then just grow BIG planets. Just a thought :)

Edit: BTW: so others will know...I have made my donations to help support the game I am so addicted to. So I am 'entitled' to one free whine session? *awaiting a Free Whine coupon in the mail*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:39 pm 
Developer
Developer

Well, there are a number of things we desperately need to add to the game ASAP but real work has intruded and we haven't had the time to make these changes. :(

We talked about a hard planet limit at one time but I think Tarnus was against it at the time. I don't know if he would be agreeable to it now or not.

I personally would love to see a hard planet limit. Where you can only control so many planets no matter your rank in the game. Once you hit that limit you have to either blow up smaller planets or destroy newly captured planets. If you capture a planet when you are at your planet max, you are shown a dropdown list of all planets you own with their tech levels and cash. You then have to select a planet from that list to destroy or allow to go independent.

This way you can destroy a planet you can't use anymore or let it go indy so a friend in the game can capture it.

Page 1 of 6 [ 84 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next