It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:07 am

The forum is READ ONLY. Please direct any future discussions to our Facebook page

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Database connection errors
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:00 pm 

I seem to be getting DB connections errors with my hosting provider and this application. I do NOT have these errors with other applications I have run on the same server. I'm wondering if AA is exceeding the number of concurrent connections allowed by my provider and if there is a way to configure this number.

My provider limits my concurrent connections to the DB to 8.

Thanks!

Moriarty

Post subject: Re: Database connection errors
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:08 am 
Developer
Developer

If your hosting provider is limiting concurrent connections to only 8 then ANY site on there is going to be severely limited. Your other applications probably do not have this problem because of a lack of activity. Each person that views a site is going to get a new connection. So if you have 9 people accessing the site at the same time then you will have those errors show up.

When any page from the game is viewed only ONE connection is made and all database queries go through that connection. The connection is then closed when the page has finished displaying. More than one connection is never made by any page being displayed.

It kind of sounds like your hosting provider only supports very, VERY light trafficed sites.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:39 am 

I am more wondering if there are multiple connections utilized during the creation of the game. That is where I am getting errors and they are saying it's the limit being exceeded. Really I want to have some more solid information to yell at them with.

Thanks for ALL of your help!

Moriarty

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:24 pm 
Developer
Developer

Time limit exceeded is not a database connection error. That means the PHP program is taking longer to execute that the server allows. This usually happens if you are trying to create a large sector game or a game on a WINDOWS server. Windows servers have a notoriously SLOW filesystem compared to Linux servers. So Windows usually takes many times longer to execute many database calls.

What you should do is start reducing the number of sectors you want in the game. If you are trying to create a 5000 sector game try a 4000 sector game. Keep reducing the number of sectors until everything is created without the timeout occurring.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]