It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:07 am

The forum is READ ONLY. Please direct any future discussions to our Facebook page

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: sector defense and bounties
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:13 am 
AA Trader
AA Trader

Imagine my surprise to find out there is new code in sd for bounty players.
All my fighters and torps self destructed when I attacked.
So I am not suprised again, how does it work if my cloak fails? Am I a sitting duck again? or is it handled differently?

Post subject: Re: sector defense and bounties
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:00 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ash wrote:
Imagine my surprise to find out there is new code in sd for bounty players.
All my fighters and torps self destructed when I attacked.
So I am not suprised again, how does it work if my cloak fails? Am I a sitting duck again? or is it handled differently?

If your cloak fails, you can kiss your ship goodbye if the SD is bounty. That or you will linp away in a severely damaged ship.

We implemennted that a while go when smaller players were hiring larger players to bust SD for them. Bounty rules should apply accross the board and didnt seem fair that a larger player could bust a smaller players SD.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:25 pm 
AA Trader
AA Trader

ok. must scan before I follow. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:08 am 

I went to scan a very small (friendly & new) player's planets in a single sector at his behest to make suggestions on securing his planets and sector from incursion. I knew he had some sector defenses but I figured I could sneak in under the radar because his sector defenses were failing to protect him from another player similarly ranked to him. I also figured even if my cloak failed I couldn't take that much damage from his defenses, considering his status. Boy was I ever wrong! It was pretty much as Tarnus said above -- I limped away with some 12 trillion in damages, considering myself lucky to have kept my ship. I probably took more damage than I expected only because his defenses were far better than I had presumed they could be. I'll chaulk that one up as the expense of a mistaken presumption.

The more troubling issue is that when I tried to sneak in, in addition to damage I received a stern, no-nonsense warning that I had just attacked a bounty protected players sector defenses and I'd better not let it happen again. Also, it said my fighters and torpedoes self-destructed, but his logs and mine confirmed that I had killed 2 million + fighters in my failed sneak move. Such a result differs from my (limited) experience in V.30.

In V.30 I could sneak into a sector guarded by low-level, bounty-protected sector defenses. If my cloaking failed my armor took the damage and I did nothing to their defenses, so there was no bounty risk. I ALWAYS made the move thru a warplink after scanning, because my intentions were not benevolent to the other player and I wasn't invited there.

I'm not suggesting that there is anything wrong with the rules - I agree entirely that new players should be as well protected by the bounty system as possible. I LOVE the bounty system and consider it one of the strengths of this game. I also know that the system cannot determine whether or not a persons motives are honorable or not. However, I was trying to be benevolent and almost got smashed for my trouble because of what I don't know. I need to know, because if this was avoidable I might try it again in the future to help a player in a instance where he has deployed more defenses than he can easily retract, while still presenting only a minor threat to my ship only. OTOH, if it's always going to be a bounty risk no matter how what or why, I wouldn't take that chance if it could help myself, let alone someone else!

My problem now lies within the fact that there are at least two possible factors to explain the unexpected events, so I'm not sure what went wrong.

1) This time (in V.31) I used realspace movement to try to sneak into the sector instead of using a warplink. I assumed there would be no difference in the result if my cloaking failed, but now I wonder if the follow-up events differ depending on your method of entry? Does that account for the "attack" on his defenses when my cloaking failed, when all I was expecting was to passively take damage?

OR

2) Is new coding differing in V.31 from v.30, with rule changes that make any failed sneak-move an attack even when the player is bounty-protected? In other words, does one now risk bounty in addition to damage or destruction every time he tries to sneak into a sector patrolled by bounty-protected fighters, no matter what?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:51 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Zoid wrote:
1) This time (in V.31) I used realspace movement to try to sneak into the sector instead of using a warplink. I assumed there would be no difference in the result if my cloaking failed, but now I wonder if the follow-up events differ depending on your method of entry? Does that account for the "attack" on his defenses when my cloaking failed, when all I was expecting was to passively take damage?

OR

2) Is new coding differing in V.31 from v.30, with rule changes that make any failed sneak-move an attack even when the player is bounty-protected? In other words, does one now risk bounty in addition to damage or destruction every time he tries to sneak into a sector patrolled by bounty-protected fighters, no matter what?

No, you will not get a bounty, its just a big warning that the SD belongs to a player that is bounty to you. He will lose no fighters, but you will lose all of yours and take some damage. I will only risk cloaking a bountied player sector when the fighters in the sector are less than 10% of my armor value. So if I have 1 mill in armor, I can expect to safely cloak about 80K in fighters. Thats not a guarantee, its a guideline. It wont matter if its a warp entry or a RS, the results are the same.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:44 pm 

Copied and pasted from my attack log (sector name editted):
********************************************************************************

Mines alert! February 12 2008 01:21
You hit 2788454 mines when travelling in sector XXXXXXX.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fighters destroyed February 12 2008 01:21
You have destroyed 2664193 patrolling fighters in sector XXXXXXX.

********************************************************************************
I am 100% positive that I used the cloak option, not attack. And while the big warning screen said that my fighters self destructed, that player was missing over 2 million fighters.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:24 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hmmm PJ may have to verify, but everytime I tried to sneak in the fighters stayed.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]