It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:26 am

The forum is READ ONLY. Please direct any future discussions to our Facebook page

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Upcoming 0.31 Release
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:11 pm 
Developer
Developer

We should have a 0.31 release sometime this week. It will include all of the changes everyone has seen on the main game.

We mentioned in a much earlier post that the game was feature locked and no new things would be added to the 0.3x code base. As you can see we didn't follow that announcement very well. :)

With the 0.31 release we will be reopening the Beta Server with the 0.31 code base. All NEW game additions will happen on the Beta Server. The only changes that will occur in the Main Game Server will be exploit and bug fixes. We will no longer be adding new features.

All new features will be added to the Beta Server. The Beta Server will show up as a 1.00 game but the code base will start with the released 0.31 package. We will start adding new features to the Beta Server. Some of the new things you will see in the next month will be more probes, more spies, more dignitaries and more commodities based on good and evil. You will be able to select jobs for your dignitaries.

After these changes are made we will be completely changing the combat system in the game. This change has been talked about in the past and it is needed to facilitate the Research and Build code. Without a fundamental change in the combat system we will not be able to add Research and Build. Once the new combat system is in place we will start work on Research and Build.

Post subject: Re: Upcoming 0.31 Release
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:50 pm 
AA Warrior
AA Warrior

Alright! This is the best announcement I've heard since I started playing this game! This'll be great! Can't wait for all the new stuff!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:18 am 
Trial
Trial

i would like to see missions that the fed can hire you to do...or an independent company like moving stuff from location to location for pay....things like that?

Read the controversial report called "The IM-Myth" 100% free today and find out how to make real money.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:34 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Strange wrote:
i would like to see missions that the fed can hire you to do...or an independent company like moving stuff from location to location for pay....things like that?

Thats one of the things we talked about, but that will be a while. we still have to get research and build done before we even think about missions.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:36 pm 
Trial
Trial

research and build hmm. Nice! I think you all doing an awesome job. This will be a new start i know we will will have fun now :D
alot of help to the builders :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:25 pm 
Trial
Trial

Sorry if this is an obvious question or answered elsewhere, but...
What became of this release? I see the main game is on 0.31, but the latest version I could see for download was 0.30.
Is it just that you only release the source for a release a while after putting it on the main game, or is 0.31 still a work in progress, or have I just missed a really obvious download link?
Is 0.30 still the latest publicly available release? (As of 2008-03-29 01:45 UTC)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:57 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

glarbex wrote:
Sorry if this is an obvious question or answered elsewhere, but...
What became of this release? I see the main game is on 0.31, but the latest version I could see for download was 0.30.
Is it just that you only release the source for a release a while after putting it on the main game, or is 0.31 still a work in progress, or have I just missed a really obvious download link?
Is 0.30 still the latest publicly available release? (As of 2008-03-29 01:45 UTC)

.30 is the latest public release. Once PJ gets to start programming again(he's in work on house mode) he's gonna push out the .31 version.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:33 pm 
Developer
Developer

Yeah, I am trying to get things finished in a short period of time so I can get moved in within the next 2-3 weeks. After that then I can concentrate on the game again. :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:09 am 
Forum Roamer
Forum Roamer

And what about public something as Nightbuilds or similar, when there should be uncomplete version of final version -> source codes used on main game, with beta title? Bugs should be founds quickly than now and everyone who want use this uncomplete code, should use it. Many bugs is repaired in main game, but latest release version is ten months old and bugs are there too much. I know you have other things to do and game is only hobby, but with this nightbuilds game admins could works and repair problems on their servers.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:51 pm 

I am not playing in Main server, but i wanted to know that is there any possibility to make .31 with numbered sectors. Or you should place choose for server builders that do they want numbered sectors or do they want sectors like there is in .30 right now.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:59 pm 
Developer
Developer

Never going to happen. Do a search of the forums and you will find we removed the numbers because it was too easy to cheat and exploit. You could find people way, way too easily. New players were usually stomped on by the experienced players who know how to find everything using the sequential sector numbers.

So you will never see them ever return in our code.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 7:02 am 

OK then

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 7:51 am 
AA Trader
AA Trader

you know I have been thinking about that.
SG's I understand were easy to find.
But sequential searches should have just been part of mapping the "known" universe.
Is it possible to keep the known verse regular numbered and then random number the sg's created to solve that problem.

That is set aside 100k sectors for the universe to grow and start all sg's beyond 100k but with the generated numbers you have now to prevent people from finding them easier?

Or was the known universe a problem too? It just makes it harder to keep good charts of the universe.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:29 am 
Developer
Developer

It was both. The sequential searches just made it way too easy to find people. And using two different numbering systems for SG and Normal space would also have made it too easy to find SG sectors too.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:39 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ash wrote:
you know I have been thinking about that.
SG's I understand were easy to find.
But sequential searches should have just been part of mapping the "known" universe.
Is it possible to keep the known verse regular numbered and then random number the sg's created to solve that problem.

That is set aside 100k sectors for the universe to grow and start all sg's beyond 100k but with the generated numbers you have now to prevent people from finding them easier?

Or was the known universe a problem too? It just makes it harder to keep good charts of the universe.

The problem was you absolutely had to have HUGE game maps to even attempt to hide. Now a user has to explore space. It makes much more sense as a space explorer , you explore the closest sectors. Using a number system that is sequential just makes it way too easy. if the universe is only 5000 sectors you can easily search every sector with the amount of turns you have. Now you have to search areas of space, and sometimes even searchin with the minimap you might miss someone, its much more realistic methodology.

All going to a seq system will do is move the game backwards. Take a look up in the sky, do you really think they numbered how to find a particular star sequentially? The numbering just make more sense in a grander scheme. You have arm number, supported planets then a random number... the last part used to have something to do with the sector number, but it was used to find new sectors so we had to goto a random system.

Note we used to do exactly like you mentioned above RS were lower numbers and then SGs were higher, but that makes them real easy to spot as you move from sector to sector. Our job is to balance the game not make it easier for the hunters or attackers :)

Besides, the good hunters still manage to find everyone.

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next