It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:37 am

The forum is READ ONLY. Please direct any future discussions to our Facebook page

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Port: Vacation Mode
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 3:40 pm 
Gamer
Gamer

I was thinking that if someone were to go on a trip, it would be unfair to see their kingdom in ruins when they returned.

So, I propose a port in Sol, or elsewhere, where people can go into "vacation mode" with one ship. The price would be:

a) All cash generated from that point until they leave the port, therefore stopping cash growth.

If the term is shorter than 36 hours, then I suggest a hefty maintenance fee so it would prevent exploit of this port, sort of like a bounty for trying to cheat the system. Commodities, however, will continue growing at a level where it is enough to feed/power/defend a planet or SG but not increase.

If the ship is stored in the port, and you do not wish to leave, but log in, you should have the pre-tourney screen.

Post subject: Re: Port: Vacation Mode
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 5:28 pm 
AA Trader
AA Trader

I was just thinking of this the other day...

Vacation mode AND an inactivity delete. (Say 14 days to log in?)

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 7:50 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Still too easy to exploit. Whats to stop someone from turning on vacation mode just to keep themselves safe from attack.

We already have a 14 day purge in place, I dont think having a vacation mode would help any. Given a way to protect themselves one will always use that feature regardless of if they are on vacation or not.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 9:54 pm 
Gamer
Gamer

Okay, fair enough, lets try to revamp the idea a tad.

The idea of the now named "Cryogenics" Port, would be to store one person and a ship of their choosing for an extended period of time.

When put in cryo, the ship of your choice is the only thing protected and assured that when you return, it will be there.

The cost, remains the same, a set amount, and the generated cash from when you went in, until you came out of cryo. Therefore, they are still susceptible to attack, and still at risk of loss, excluding their one ship that they put in cryo.

What do you think, now?

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:25 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

SPAR7AN wrote:
Okay, fair enough, lets try to revamp the idea a tad.

The idea of the now named "Cryogenics" Port, would be to store one person and a ship of their choosing for an extended period of time.

When put in cryo, the ship of your choice is the only thing protected and assured that when you return, it will be there.

The cost, remains the same, a set amount, and the generated cash from when you went in, until you came out of cryo. Therefore, they are still susceptible to attack, and still at risk of loss, excluding their one ship that they put in cryo.

What do you think, now?

While I still think its exploitable to a degree, there would have to be a forced storage of 14 days and then the player could not go back in storage again for a minimal of 30-60 days.

This would make it a little less exploitable.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 11:02 am 
Gamer
Gamer

I think that's a fairly reasonable approach to it. 30-60 days sounds like a good limit.

Its just so people can relax wherever they are going, nice to know, that their ship will still be around to kill someone who attacked him/her while they were gone.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:02 am 
AA Trader
AA Trader

Vacation mode - Cryo Port - Protection Mode

When you go to enter it, protection does not start until 24 hours after you requested it.
The cost of protection mode the first time is 1% of networth.
Once in protection mode you can not come back out again for a minimum of 72 hours.
Once you come out of protection mode you may not enter back into vacation mode for 1 month.
The cost of protection mode every time after the first time doubles.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:27 am 
AA Warrior
AA Warrior

All that I agree with, except doubling the cost. Thats a bit too steep if you ask me. Also, I think instead of 1% of net worth, if it would cost more to keep a more expensive SHIP in it that would make sense. If your ship is crappy and you've got tons of big planets, then that'll cost a lot to store a little ship. I'd say the cost should be.. I don't know... 5% of the ship's worth. That would make more sense. Maybe add 1% each time its reused, rather than doubling. That would turn the growth from exponential to linear, which is always a good change if your talking about cost ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:30 am 

I would certainly like to see a vacation mode. I'm going to be AFK for about three weeks this summer. I'm very sad to see there is a 14-day deletion, because that means everything I've built will be gone when I return. :'(
I think the vacation mode port should protect your ship from attack and keep all your planets from going Indy, but I like the idea of a minimum time. I think it should be 5 days.
It wouldn't protect your planets from attack, just from going indy.
I don't think this would be exploitable, since someone suggested that all credit building would stop and only maintenance-level commodities production would occur. And while your ship would be safe, another player could conceivably capture all of your planets while you were in hibernation.
I think this is a good idea, and I'm certain some usable system can be developed that will be worth using (i.e., indy protection) without being exploitable (e.g., for credit/commodity stockpiling).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:33 am 

Kwae Zar wrote:
The cost of protection mode the first time is 1% of networth.
Once in protection mode you can not come back out again for a minimum of 72 hours.
Once you come out of protection mode you may not enter back into vacation mode for 1 month.

These are good suggestions. I especially like the 1-month interim between vacations.
Incidentally, I think vacation mode should lengthen the deletion time to something like 2 months.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:19 pm 
Gamer
Gamer

On Vacation, there are computers for public access around every corner....This is just my personal experience...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:53 pm 
AA Warrior
AA Warrior

Not necessarily. We're going to Yellowstone this summer and there won't be internet anywhere. I think this is a very good thing to include. I've been on many vacations like that.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:40 pm 

I was 4 hours from deletion upon returning from vacation this year. Of course the first thing I did was log in and make sure I was alive and would stay that way. Thanks to all of you for not podding me! I think the one main thing needed as a vacation setting is the ability to turn off the auto purge. Other than that you can always build back up.

Investigative Reporting of breaking news from the leading edge of a galaxy near you.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:25 pm 
Trial
Trial

so here's an idea - how about creating a 'protector' mini-game role for handling things like vacation mode. The idea here is that when a person wants to go on vacation, he appoints, through the federation, a protector. For the duration of the vacation, the protector has access to all of the vacationer's sectors. His job is to protect the vactioner's assets. For each day protecting the planets successfuly, the protector gets a percentage of the planetary production(the exact percentage has to be agreed upon in advance) paid through the federation. For every planet lost, the protector looses a certain portion of a deposit he makes with the other player through the federation. This deposit has to be equal to a large percentage of the planet's net worth, say 75%. This would make the role of 'protector' a role for higher ranked players who can afford to put down hard cash for a deposit. It'd give higher ranked players something interesting to do, and it'd give lower ranked players an interesting challenge. The highest level players will be unable to hire protectors since no one would be able to come up with the deposit required to cover a high ranked player's assets. This'd keep things mobile enough at the very top while protecting the interests of the little guy.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:15 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

This has been discussed many times before. 2 weeks isn't a bad amount of time to expect a person to login at least once. With the abundant net access out there, its awfully hard not to be able to login at some point.

As far as a protector goes. isn't that what teammates are for?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next