It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:29 pm

The forum is READ ONLY. Please direct any future discussions to our Facebook page

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Primary Traits
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:06 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

PJ may have to fill in the holes, but the original concept was a compartmental research and build. You can only build items that were researched on the originated planet. This made that planet very valuable as its also the only place you can build that item once the research is completed. If someone captures the research planet, they skip that step and can build what ever was researched.

We made it this way as items that can be researched have extreme value. Imagine if you could build Nova deflectors, and higher classes if SD fighters etc etc. Bio weapons. The list can go on and on. We had quite a list before the forum crashed and we lost 90% of the messages. Tonto will yell conspiracy, you watch ;)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:51 pm 
Developer
Developer

Yep, that's the way it's supposed to work. Otherwise you would have one person research the most powerful weapon available and then build it on every planet they own. Not very balanced.

Only the planets that have researched an item can build it and store it. This makes those planets very valuable and must keep planets. This is because if someone takes the planet and they have spies on the planet there is a chance they can SALVAGE your research and keep what they find without having to research the items for themselves.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:17 am 
Forum Roamer
Forum Roamer

So research is the big hump, building not so much?
It all sounds pretty good. Anything that makes planets more valuable will make it more worthwhile to build up your SGs.
I'm learning a lot from the main game at the moment, with regards to some of the tactics players use. It's nice.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:43 am 
AA Warrior
AA Warrior

Instinct, the idea is that if you're going to be "mass producing" the build item on multiple planets, you'll want to research it, because not doing so will cause building to take longer per item. Granted, not as long as building and researching combined, but if you're building it over and over again, it will add up, and it will be considerably longer than just researching it ahead of time.

PJ/Tarnus, I can understand your position on reasearch and building only staying on one planet, and what I'm arguing is mostly for the sake of realism rather than balance in the game, though I still think my idea would add a little bit of strategy. However, it's not important, so do whatever. :P

Here's just something I'd like to point out. Unless the player wants to be building lots of different things, or researching a lot of different stuff at the same time, I think they're just going to upgrade one planet so high it's nearly impossible to take (since planets get a boost in tech levels, and they are way cheaper, this is quite possible, just pointless at present) and then do all their research on that planet, so they don't lose it. Or, if they do want to be doing multiple researches at the same time, they could still just do that for multiple planets. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, but it is something that seems likely to happen, so I'm just pointing it out.

And since these planets aren't going to be producing credits (they're population is on research and build, not credits), they may even keep these planets in a seperate branch of SG or another SG all together. Or, maybe they'll use their gate planets for research and build. That's probably what I'd do. That's already the most protected place in the SG, and gate planets don't really need to be money makers. Also, by upgrading so much, they may help prevent loss of valuable SD techs.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:04 pm 
Forum Roamer
Forum Roamer

Well you'd probably want to install techs that would best benefit the planet. If there were nova deflectors and SD upgrades, you'd probably want that on your gate sectors anyway. If there were credit booster techs, you'd want them on your credit planets. you might want shield boosters on all your planets.

Until we see what kind of techs are available, it's hard to really come up with tactics for their use. That's why there's the beta server, which I'll have to get back to playing soon so I can be a part of the changes when they come. I'd imagine techs will be rolled out and we'll see if anything unbalances the game. Ideally I'd want to avoid techs that are worth installing on every planet, as it makes it a redundant step. But I can envisage a lot of interesting techs.

One thing I'd like to see (and I might just be stupid for not discovering how to do it if it's already there) is being able to move stored ships around. If I have ship X stored on planet A, and I want to move it to planet B, I have to store ship Y at planet A to be able to move ship X. But I want to keep ship Y, so the only way is to what... buy a pio and go back?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:28 pm 
AA Warrior
AA Warrior

What you said is true, but I don't think anyone would waste time with a shield upgrade on their production planets. Those planets are unavoidably going to be easy to take if someone breaks into your SG. No use defending them with anything other than SD.

The ship moving thing has been discussed before. I don't remember if it was shot down by the dev team or if discussion just sorta faded away and people forgot about it. As it is now, yes, you would need to buy a pio.

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2