It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 9:53 am

The forum is READ ONLY. Please direct any future discussions to our Facebook page

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Newbie Input: Sector missles & Home Base Questions
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:25 pm 
Trial
Trial

Hello. I'm new or was about 1 week ago and have gotten killed. Now I'm adicted......who knew 3 days could be so long!

I got killed the result of a Fed bounty (huge for me) being placed on me for capturing another planet. I guess I didn't understand the severity this bounty would bring. I had successfully located a sector with four planets owned by a player with more experience than me (aprox 450K) at the time I had just over 300K so I felt I was not picking on a smaller player. After three days of spies and sub orbital attacks - trying to undrstand the battle process - I successfully attacked and captured one planet. From there I went down the line and began to capture the remaining three. I did see the Fed notification prior to attacking the fourth planet and I will take them more seriously in the future. However, I feel that bounty was only there because I had been successful against a higher ranked player in a short amount of time.

Now I am out of the game because I was successful. Not because I was picking on a weak player. I was concerned it would be bad for me to have all but one planet in the sector. Maybe there is a way to weaken the planet without receiving a spanking from the Fed.

In my spare time I have been reading posts... and have a few questions.
1. How do you use sector missles.
2. I read you can name a home sector but don't know how or the benefits. I believe that when killed you possibly will be sent to your home sector instead of back to Sol but don't know this to be a fact.

Please share any thoughts or guidance. Im ready to try again.

Post subject: Re: Newbie Input: Sector missles & Home Base Questions
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:52 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

bazsil wrote:
Hello. I'm new or was about 1 week ago and have gotten killed. Now I'm adicted......who knew 3 days could be so long!

I got killed the result of a Fed bounty (huge for me) being placed on me for capturing another planet. I guess I didn't understand the severity this bounty would bring. I had successfully located a sector with four planets owned by a player with more experience than me (aprox 450K) at the time I had just over 300K so I felt I was not picking on a smaller player. After three days of spies and sub orbital attacks - trying to undrstand the battle process - I successfully attacked and captured one planet. From there I went down the line and began to capture the remaining three. I did see the Fed notification prior to attacking the fourth planet and I will take them more seriously in the future. However, I feel that bounty was only there because I had been successful against a higher ranked player in a short amount of time.

Now I am out of the game because I was successful. Not because I was picking on a weak player. I was concerned it would be bad for me to have all but one planet in the sector. Maybe there is a way to weaken the planet without receiving a spanking from the Fed.

Actually what happened was that players score was dropping with each planet you took. So eventually on the last planet that players score was way below yours and was therefor bounty to you. Remember this, ALWAYS ALWAYS scan. As you attack each planet, scan each consecutive one.

Another note, if the player is below you and showing 1 * you need to be especially careful. Even scanning when their score is too close may not show you a bounty, but after you attack it does.

Also if you have 3 planets you can take out a loan. So first thing I do when I accidently get a bounty is take a loan to pay it, then I can pay the bank back a little at a time.

Quote:

In my spare time I have been reading posts... and have a few questions.
1. How do you use sector missles.

You use sector missiles on players that are not in fed space and show up in a single sector scan. There will be a link to fire it if there is a ship there... careful not to get a bounty, always read the screen before you take a shot.
Quote:

2. I read you can name a home sector but don't know how or the benefits. I believe that when killed you possibly will be sent to your home sector instead of back to Sol but don't know this to be a fact.

Please share any thoughts or guidance. Im ready to try again.

Yes that is a fact however, you need to always make sure you have an escaoe pod. Without one your killed out of the game. Home sectors you can set in the option screen.

The benefit is if you die and you have more than one ship you don't get tossed out of fed space at the scheduler trigger. You end up in your home sector.

The downside is, if you set a home sector to where someone is attacking you, and they shoot you once, you pop back into the same sector with no escape pod, so there is a high likelyhood you could die and have to wait another 3 days to come back.

What I usually do is set a home sector when I am online and leave it blank when I am offline. I always read the news before I login to see if I have been shot or not. If I have been shot, I wait till the countdown at the bottom restarts to about 250 then I login and have time to upgrade my engines and buy an escape pod before I get tossed out of fed space.

Feel free to keep asking questions. Also you can view the wiki at http://wiki.aatrades.com there is alot of information there as well.

Post subject: Re: Newbie Input: Sector missles & Home Base Quest
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:10 am 

You were doing well until that bounty. Good job on that.

On sector missiles, when you shoot a sector missile at someone. It actually uses the ship's energy against it self. If the ship has no energy the sector missile will do no damage. So, make sure when you are out and about to carry no energy so you don't become the victim of a sector missile.

On a home planet, Tarnus said you have to be careful that you don't get your self killed. However, there are some very good uses for the home planet setting. If you are in a deep SG and don't want to leave a trail in or out, you can buy a pioneer, ewarp out, do what you needed to do, pod yourself and get back into your SG.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:00 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Crazedfencer wrote:
You were doing well until that bounty. Good job on that.

On sector missiles, when you shoot a sector missile at someone. It actually uses the ship's energy against it self. If the ship has no energy the sector missile will do no damage. So, make sure when you are out and about to carry no energy so you don't become the victim of a sector missile.

On a home planet, Tarnus said you have to be careful that you don't get your self killed. However, there are some very good uses for the home planet setting. If you are in a deep SG and don't want to leave a trail in or out, you can buy a pioneer, ewarp out, do what you needed to do, pod yourself and get back into your SG.

Of course you better hope your SG has a devices port so you can buy a pod and ewarp devices. I managed to have one guy penned into his SG last round. He couldnt get out. So his score kind of stagnated.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:38 pm 

Yeah, I got very lucky last round.

Ended up getting every special port in my SG.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:52 pm 
Trial
Trial

Crazedfencer wrote:
If you are in a deep SG and don't want to leave a trail in or out, you can buy a pioneer, ewarp out, do what you needed to do, pod yourself and get back into your SG.

What do you mean by "in a deep SG" ??

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:56 am 

"SG" Stands for "Sector Genesis". You can buy sector genesis torpedoes from any device port for 100,000,000 credits. They act very similar to normal genesis torpedoes but instead of a planet these make sectors. There are a few key differences between a normal sector and a sector created by a sector genesis torpedo.

For simplicity sake we will call sectors created by a sector genesis torpedo as just "SG"

You can not real space in our out of an SG, meaning that the only way in or out is through the link that is created when you use the Sector Genesis Torpedo. There are some exceptions. Debris can send someone to a random sector, that includes SGs. You can also Ewarp out of an SG.

SGs can only have a TOTAL of 3 links. That includes the link out. All links in an SG are two way links.

Buy a Sector Genesis Torpedo go to any real space sector outside of federation space and use it. You will see a screen come up telling you that it will cost you 100,000,000 more credits just to use the Sector Genesis Torpedo, and a space for you type in a name. You do not have to type anything in, just hit create and BAM you have just created a sector. Now when you return to the main menu you will see a new link in the real space sector.

Once you click on the newly created link you will notice that your real space map shows only gray squares and that at the moment there is only one link. That is the link that leads out.

Then you can use another Sector Genesis Torpedo to make an SG leading from the first SG and another from that SG and so on and so forth. You must keep in mind the 3 link limit in SGs, that means from the first SG you make you can make 2 more SGs, and from each of those 2 more. The more you fan out the SG the harder it will be for someone to take the exact path to your sector.

Keep in mind that for each SG you get that is further away from the sector the cost doubles.

It is important to note how the links look in an SG as there is one key difference that you have to keep in mind when exploring SGs. There will always be one link that looks like "<=>" that shows you the way out of the SG towards the surface and a link that looks like "=>" leads deeper into the SG.

The beauty of SGs is that it is much harder for someone to find you in an SG as opposed to a normal real space sector because they would have to click the link that leads from real space to your first SG then the link to the next one and so on.

The bad part of SGs is that you have no control over what ports or max planet limits you get in your SGs. So it can get really expensive before you finally get that 5 planet max colonist port sector that everyone wants to find. But, since it is all random, you may get it on your first SG or your 100th.

I hope this helps at all. It is 4:45 AM as I am writing this so it might not make sense.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]