It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:16 pm

The forum is READ ONLY. Please direct any future discussions to our Facebook page

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Main Game Ratings Change
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:53 am 
Developer
Developer

We have reset all player ratings back to the default of neutral. We found that the rating system was not working right and allowing some players to achieve incredibly high ratings in one direction by using a couple of methods.

1. Attacking/Capturing Independent or NPC owned planets will no longer affect a players rating. We found that some players were using independent planet attacks to go Evil quickly. So we decided all Non-Player Characters in the game will no longer count on any players rating. The NPC players are not as smart as a real player and can be easily overcome. The defeated and captured Independent planet will still be counted on the players Defeated and Captured planet tracking.

2. A player getting killed by Sector Defenses will no longer count on anyones rating. We decided that a PASSIVE SD kill should not make any change to a players rating. Some players were throwing ships at another players Sector Defenses to cause the defenders rating to change.

3. One last change for Sector Defense kills is to remove kill tracking for those kill types. If a player dies on another players sector defense the owner of the sector defense will NOT receive a kill added to their kill tracking. Some players were throwing pioneers at SD to cause a players Kill Efficiency to go down. The player who died on the sector defense will STILL get a DEATH added to the number of times they have died.

Because of these changes we reset all player ratings back to the default setting to be FAIR to everyone.

Edit: We will be making further changes to the rating system and the ratings may be reset again.

Post subject: Re: Main Game Ratings Change
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:00 pm 
Gamer
Gamer

Funny how these changes are always made AFTER I mention them, and then, AFTER I quit...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:52 am 
Trial
Trial

I would like to see bounties still in effect regardless of your rating. A lot of players take advantage of this rating system to prey on newbies like me.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:44 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Okita wrote:
I would like to see bounties still in effect regardless of your rating. A lot of players take advantage of this rating system to prey on newbies like me.

As an attacker, you need to learn to balance your attacks. There still needs to be some adjustments on the rating system, but if you go in and just go insane as an attacker preying on all kinds of players you will find yourself either evil or good, then you have to deal with the larger players that are the opposing rating.

One of the things we have discussed is a floating rating. Once you lay back and stop attacking the rating would gradually move to neutral over time.

Another thing I would like to see is that as an opposing player gets attacked their rating would gradually move towards neutral as so a player can't utterly destroy someone that cannot defend themselves. Especially if their is a large score differential. I think the greater the differential the quicker the rating gets thrown back to neutral when that player is attacked.

I think with these types of changes we can leave the rating system in place.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:15 pm 
Developer
Developer

The biggest problem is with the rating for ship/planet captures and attacks. The change is the same for small and large ships/planets. The change I was going to make but haven't because of a big focus on getting my house finished, is to make those rating changes graduated based upon the average tech level of a planet and the average tech and ship base hull size for a ship. Players killing a pioneer or a small level 100 planet will have a very small rating change while killing an Endeavor or a 400 level planet will have a large rating change. This will mean that NEW players will not change at the same rate as larger players because of the types of ships and planets being attacked will usually be different.

The small guys will be protected this way because they will only be attacking smaller planets and ships so only have small changes in rating. The larger players attacking small planets and ships will also get a small rating change but if they attack a larger ship or planet then they will get a bigger rating change.

This should fix the problems some people have found with the rating system.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:26 am 
Trial
Trial

I think you need to get your priorities straight and stop working on your house :P

Sounds like a good idea though. It seems it's too easy to get a good/evil rating, yet once you are there it's very difficult to get back to neutral.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:27 am 
Developer
Developer

No problem. :) I'll stop working on the house if you will pay my $900 in rent and utilities for two places every month. :D

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]