It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:03 am

The forum is READ ONLY. Please direct any future discussions to our Facebook page

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Suggestion: Low End Ships purchasing ideas
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:35 pm 
AA Trader
AA Trader

Getting low end ship in this version is just brutal. If you do manage to set up a sector that you can call home, and base a planet, you are gonna have a TOUGH time getting it outfitted as you are going to have 0 engines.

Possible Solutions:

1) Put back the shipyard in SOL and ONLY offer the 4 low end ships there. Do not allow storage of those ships at SOL.

2) Allow people to purchase a minor set of no more than a 1/2 max upgrade when they buy a ship from thier based planets - after all who buys base model cars anymore. =)
For example: If the ship will allow for 40th engines - allow it to be purchased with 20th engines. Any further upgrades will have to be done at an upgrade port.

3) Equip the low end ships with better engines as a default. IE - 10th level engines as a base.

Post subject: Re: Suggestion: Low End Ships purchasing ideas
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:29 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kwae Zar wrote:
Getting low end ship in this version is just brutal. If you do manage to set up a sector that you can call home, and base a planet, you are gonna have a TOUGH time getting it outfitted as you are going to have 0 engines.

Possible Solutions:

1) Put back the shipyard in SOL and ONLY offer the 4 low end ships there. Do not allow storage of those ships at SOL.

While I do understand where your coming from, putting a shipyard back in sol defeats the purpose of where we are going with this. I do however think that limited upgrade ability needs to be available on the based planet where the shipyard is, ie.... only allow upgrades of engines as buying aship now is like buying the body of the car but the engine cimes extra. Not many of us can get out and push. . Most people will either builder on an upgrade and creat warp links where they need to have access. Or near one as the game progresses you may have SG's with links to all the essentials.

Post subject: A suggestion:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:00 am 
Gamer
Gamer

I just a idea from this issue:
If the available shipclasses was depending on the size of the planet it could be a interesting thing.

- "To be no. 12345 is okay, but whining is Big" ;)

http://www.aatraders.com/index.php?player_id=71

Post subject: Re: Suggestion: Low End Ships purchasing ideas
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:27 am 
AA Trader
AA Trader

Tarnus wrote:
Most people will either builder on an upgrade and creat warp links where they need to have access.

Creating Warp links with a Pio is a near imposibility - you just don't have enough energy. And you can throw out SG creation and hoping for an Upgrade as the cost early in the game is way over the top. And lastly, building a "throw-away" planet in an upgrade sector seems a little too drastic just so you can purchase and upgrade your new ship.

Tarnus wrote:
I do however think that limited upgrade ability needs to be available on the based planet where the shipyard is...

Good! That was my #2 idea. 8)

Big wrote:
If the available shipclasses was depending on the size of the planet it could be a interesting thing

Ooooh! Neat idea! I wonder how it would pan out in a game?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:30 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well I think what you will find that early in the game your strategy will be to build either warp linked to a upgrade port or you will build in one. Which will make upgrades a prmium for a little while I know I always tried to build in upgrades...... Its really no different than before when ya had to work to get that pio upgraded. Once traderoutes are working welll I don't expect to see as many pios out there ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:53 pm 
AA Trader
AA Trader

Its really no different than before when ya had to work to get that pio upgraded.[/quote]

I disagree. Now - it is a Heckuva lot more involved.

Before you just had to get the cash for the upgrade and go back to SOL.

Now you have to get the cash, find an upgrade port (and ONLY an upgrade port!), make no less than 9 two way trips (3 to each cargo ports ore, org, good), base a planet, get your new ship, upgrade it, then warp back to sector 2 (well what was sector 2) and get the dern thing an esape pod.

This is a very specific process to getting upgraded which means aggressive players can focus early in the game on just one type of sector in the universe. Not to mention it is much more turn intensive to buy a new ship with this new method.

Tarnus wrote:
Once traderoutes are working welll I don't expect to see as many pios out there ;)

Good point! Let's see how it pans out after that cause right now it is a pain in the RUMP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:22 pm 
Developer
Developer

Kwae Zar wrote:
Before you just had to get the cash for the upgrade and go back to SOL.

You can do the same thing now as well. Sol still has an upgrade port.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:43 pm 
AA Trader
AA Trader

PJ - I think you are missing the crux of the argument which is engine levels on low end ships when created on based planets.

How do you propose to limp back to Sol from your freshly based planet with a freshly bought ship with level 0 engines?

Nothing like blowing 4598 turns!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:18 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kwae Zar wrote:
PJ - I think you are missing the crux of the argument which is engine levels on low end ships when created on based planets.

How do you propose to limp back to Sol from your freshly based planet with a freshly bought ship with level 0 engines?

Well after thinking about it abit, like I said there are other ports other than SOL ;) Build a base near or within warp links of an upgrade... thats what everyone has always done in the past. Whats got ya messed up is the fact that shipyards are on planets and are no longer in upgrade ports. So really its not that much different now. Plus the only ships with small engines off the bat is SC and Stealths. COlumbue and up have starter engines is what PJ told me... I'm still wrenchin arms on maybe starter engines for everything. But remember its all a strategy, you'll have to think a little different and remember when you buy a ship better make sure you have a warplink near an upgrade or a freind to help out, ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:52 pm 
Developer
Developer

Kwae Zar wrote:

You do know that the pioneer, stealth and cargo ship are the only ones that start out with level 0 engines. The others start with level 10, 20 or 25.

And as Tarnus mentioned you need to scout out an upgrade port and build a planet that will be easily accessable to it.

Remember that in our game the warp links are to be used. There should NEVER be what could be termined easy realspacing early in the game. What you are proposing would basically cause that to happen. Sure a little more thought will have to go into where and when you build your first planet but that planet will tend to be a throw away planet for most people. It will be their initial staging point early on in the game.

From what I have seen this is not a hinderance to most of the people playing the game. Once they can start using real traderoutes this not will be anything really to discuss.

Remember we are not bound to keeping the game play the same as everyone is used to but to furthering the playability of the game. Sure the changes in the game will cause most players to change how they play the game but that is a good thing as stagnation in gameplay will kill a game. Believe it or not Tarnus and I have alot of discussions on the changes being made to the game. We both come from two different styles of play and we balance that out in everything we do in the games developement.

Trust us... You will see this is not a problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:02 am 
AA Trader
AA Trader

Panama Jack wrote:
Trust us... You will see this is not a problem.

I am willing to do that. :sunny:

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ]