It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:02 am

The forum is READ ONLY. Please direct any future discussions to our Facebook page

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: New Mine Code coming...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:10 pm 
Developer
Developer

We are finally rewriting the mine code so it operates similar to all of the other combat functions.

The current mine code is completely random. A random number of mines will hit any ship with a hull over a preset amount (currently 140 tech level). So if there are a million mines then anywhere between 1 and 1 million mines can hit your ship. This was very old code left over from the NGS days. it was quick and easy. That was about all you could say about it. ;)

The new mine code will base the number of mines that attack on the total size of your ship. The larger the ship the larger the percentage of mines that will home in on your ship.

Every ship has a base hull size that is totally separate from the purchased hull for cargo. This base hull is now listed for each ship in the shipyard.

The minimum hull size has been raised from 140 to 250. This minimum hull size the the COMBINED size of your ships BASE HULL and the purchased hull. If you buy an Endeavor it has a Base Hull of 150 and a purchased hull of 100. The combined hull is 250 and it WILL get hit by mines.

1. The percentage of mines attracted is a semi-random amount based upon the combined hull size of your ship.

2. Your ships sensor, ecm and torp launcher tech levels determine how well your mine deflectors will work. The key is your torp launcher tech level. The higher the more effective your deflectors.

3. The sectopr defense weapons, sector defense cloak and sector defense sensors determine how well the mines will work. The key is your sector defense weapons tech level. The higher the more effective your mines.

4. Mine deflectors no longer take out mines 1 for 1. One mine deflects will not take out one mine anymore. Mines have a limited amount of armor and it can take 3 or more mine deflectors to destroy a single mine.

5. When a mine hits a ship it no longer destroys the ship instantly. Mines will destroy a ships armor and they are devastating against the armor. Once the armor is gone your ship is destroyed. One mine can take out up to 1000 units of armor.

Here are two example of a ship hitting 1 million mines.

This ship has a combined hull of 350 and attracts about 15% of the mines in the sector. The ship has one million mine deflectors and it takes 539k to destroy 154k mines. It took almost 4 times as many deflectors to take out the mines that attacked the ship. If the ship had higher tech levels in the other areas the mines wouldn't have been as effective.

This is the same ship but with a combined hull of 450. It is so large it attracts every mine in the sector. The one million mine deflectors could only hold off 290k mines. The remaining 710k mines hit the ship ripping through the paltry 100 tech armor destroying the ship. More mine deflectors or a higher armor tech would have saved the ship.

We are going to watch how the new mines play out and we may LIMIT the mines the same way sector fighters are limited if the mines are too powerful. Or we may make adjustments to how much damage a mine can do to the hull. It all depends upon how things work out.

Post subject: Mine Fields
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:39 am 
Forum Roamer
Forum Roamer

How will this new code affect a players mine field(s) that they put in space with out haveing the planets in the sector for the tech levels needed to support the mines?

Post subject: Re: New Mine Code coming...
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:39 am 
Gamer
Gamer

I smell many more "passive" kills... Fair to the lower players?

- "To be no. 12345 is okay, but whining is Big" ;)

http://www.aatraders.com/index.php?player_id=71

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:03 am 

so i f i bought endu and its base hull is 150 and then upgraded until 200 so it will be 250 or 350?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:08 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

saras wrote:
so i f i bought endu and its base hull is 150 and then upgraded until 200 so it will be 250 or 350?

Base hull is basically your bulk size, not nessasarily what you can carry. As you buy larger ships the hull becomes larger.

What alot of players have been doing is getting thier nice big voayeger and when it hull got damaged it was no longer effected by mines and hence floated mines. This really is not realistic. So with the base hull, no matter how much your hull is damaged you still can hit mines.

Your carrying hull is the same, the base hull is just a number for how big that ship is.

Post subject: Re: Mine Fields
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:10 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kilroy wrote:
How will this new code affect a players mine field(s) that they put in space with out having the planets in the sector for the tech levels needed to support the mines?

Well we have discussed this and I don't like the idea of forcing you to have planets support mine fields. It doesn't make alot of sense as mines are self contained.

Post subject: Re: New Mine Code coming...
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:12 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Big wrote:

The smaller ships will not be effected as much, in fact they will hit alot less mines if any at all. Where it comes into play is the larger ships.

Players will have to carry much more deflectors than they think they may need.

Post subject: Re: Mine Fields
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:29 pm 
Developer
Developer

Kilroy wrote:
How will this new code affect a players mine field(s) that they put in space with out haveing the planets in the sector for the tech levels needed to support the mines?

Actually, those fields will not be very effective anymore as the mines really need a planets sensors and weapons tech to detect the incoming ship. Without a planet some of the mines will still be able to detect the ship but actually being able to hit the ship will be almost impossible.

Upgraded mines will be one of the research items when we finally get around to adding the research code to the game. But for now mines in sectors without planets will mainly be there for shock value and to take out the player not paying any attention.

Big wrote:

There should be far fewer passive kills when it comes to the lower players. The players who should be wary are those running around in Endeavors and higher or lower ships that have high purchased hulls.

As was mentioned in the initial post. Your ships torp tech is king in repelling a mine attack.

saras wrote:

It would be 350. You take your base hull and add it to the cargo hull that is purchased for the ship. Remember when you buy a ship like the Endeavor it comes with a 100 hull that was PURCHASED even though it is the minimum hull for that ship class. The purchased hull is the extra hull space for carrying cargo. The base hull is the basic size of your ship.

Think of it this way.

The base hull is the size of your car. A Pioneer would be like a VW Bug and an Endeavor would be like an SUV. See, different base hull sizes.

The purchased hull for carrying extra cargo would be like a trailer to be pulled by the car. A 100 purchased hull would be like a small 3 foot long trailer. A 300 purchased hull would be like a large 20 foot long enclosed trailer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:25 pm 
Developer
Developer

I will be adding the new mine code tomorrow night so everyone start loading up on mine deflectors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:25 pm 

You hit 0 mines out of 2 mines!

0 of Guts mines have been destroyed!

You lost 511,111,110 mine deflectors.

Guts Mines Exhausted!

You have 0 mine deflectors left.

it would always work like that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:37 pm 
AA Trader
AA Trader

Well Gut deployed level 3 mines that you can only buy at alliance trading posts.

The ones that you make yourself are merely level 1 mines. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kwae Zar wrote:
Well Gut deployed level 3 mines that you can only buy at alliance trading posts.

The ones that you make yourself are merely level 1 mines. :shock:

Well PJ put the old code back for now... and I had a nice ship destroying mine field :( Guess I will have to wait till he fixes it.

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ]