It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:57 am

The forum is READ ONLY. Please direct any future discussions to our Facebook page

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: birth rate reducing digs and SD energy
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:58 pm 
AA Warrior
AA Warrior

I would love these guys if the STAGNATED population growth. If they could be used to keep the population just under the point where there's revolts and plagues and what not, I'd use them all the time, because that stuff is ruining me. However, they ARE plagues. The kill probably more colonists in the long run. They just aren't worth it.

I know you all are planning on making their jobs chooseable, but no one is going to choose birth rate reducing digs if you don't change that...

Just thought I'd put that out there.

Oh, and something else: I think it'd be nice if only the SD fighters used in an attack used energy. It'd make things easier for builders, yes, and it'd make a lot more sense.

The biggest reason I suggest this is so that a person can't pioneer suicide and drain energy, making SD useless. I remember that being an issue, and maybe you fixed it, but Tarnus recently said "if it floats in space it takes energy" so maybe not... And also, since only main fighters do anything (which doesn't make a lot of sense either, but is not the matter at hand) why should support fighters take energy? If it just takes energy to keep them up there, then they ought to drain energy over time like they used to. Since they don't, I assume the don't need energy to just sit there. And they're not attacking... so what are they using energy for?

I know I can't expect results, but I wanted to get that out.

Post subject: Re: birth rate reducing digs and SD energy
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:01 am 
Forum Roamer
Forum Roamer

I think it'd be a cool change if instead of taking the highest SD Weapons Tech to determine SD fighters, it was taken from another value.
Let's say you could build carriers the same way you build the autotrade vessels. it's a special ship class only built by planets and each one holds x amount of SD fighters. The cost of each carrier ramps up exponentially to offset the fact that now you're back to only needing to upgrade each planet's SD Weapons equally rather than investing heavily in one and propping up the numbers with the others, but the amount of SD fighters able to respond is calculated by the amount of carriers, and energy is taken on a per carrier basis. Scans would no longer display the total number of SD fighters, but the amount of carriers.

It sounds a bit redundant, but it actually opens up more opportunities for hiding the strength of your SD, because the amount of carriers scannable doesn't give any indication of the amount of fighters that can attack you whatsoever. It also makes it a bit easier for the defender to calculate energy costs when you know how much energy 1 carrier is going to consume per attack.

Post subject: Re: birth rate reducing digs and SD energy
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:05 pm 
AA Warrior
AA Warrior

Well calculating energy costs is really easy, but I don't like the idea just because it would tip the scale too much in the builder's favor. The attacker has to know how much SD is there to be able to determine if an attack is safe. The way it is now, with only the main SD attacking, it's still uncertain, since they don't know how many fighters are supported by the main SD, but that'd just be going too far, I think.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]